Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Canada Cartier No 19 Plating Project

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
1226 Posts
Posted 01/05/2019   11:35 am  Show Profile Check Gilles le timbre's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Gilles le timbre to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is position 72 - One that I find most difficult to positively identify, due to the less visible weak frameline to the left...with no obvious other markings, beside the pos dot in the left oval.

Last from 2nd column is 92. The key feature is the large Dot in the bottom margin below the 7.
That shows that sometimes, off-center stamps may provide good clue for identification. (in this case, large bottom margin is preferable, while for top row, large top margins provide most of the needed clues.

If you have actual copy of any of those (12, 22,32,72 or 92, please feel free to Post them here.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Gilles le timbre - 01/05/2019 11:53 am
Pillar Of The Community
687 Posts
Posted 01/10/2019   3:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sak to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
May I re-ask a naive question? I see that there are some positions unidentified. Is it possible that those stamps have NO identifiable marks and are all the same?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
1226 Posts
Posted 01/10/2019   4:48 pm  Show Profile Check Gilles le timbre's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Gilles le timbre to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sak,
based on the great work of K. Kershaw, all positions are identifiable. The gaps in the plating project represent actual stamps missing from my collection. My goal remains to reconstruct a complete sheet of the 100 positions that exist. What renders some more difficult to identify is sometimes the off-centering or heavy cancel that hide the recognizable features needed to positively identify a specific plate position.
Pillar Of The Community
687 Posts
Posted 01/10/2019   9:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sak to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Gilles le timbre, thanks.
The next naive question is: were these markings made deliberately by the engraver to make each stamp unique? (and can all early issues be completely plated?)
Pillar Of The Community
United States
553 Posts
Posted 01/11/2019   10:23 am  Show Profile Check watermark's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add watermark to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The marks are not deliberately produced to make each stamp unique. They are caused by various things like un-erased plate layout markings, double transfers of the design, plate damage or wear, improper handling, or plate damage while in use just to name a few.

Many of the stamps of the early issues produced on flat steel plates can be plated to plate position and possible printings due to a flaw or double transfer being present. It can be quite a challenge to sort and plate them. A number of books have been written that help in plating just one particular stamp. For example I have five or six references pertaining to the 5c Beaver (1859 issue) and have identified a few hundred to specific printings, positions and or states of the plate. Still have many more to try and identify and some I may not be able to.

Most of the features used in identification of plate position were not done deliberately but some maybe attributed to repairs as well.
Pillar Of The Community
687 Posts
Posted 01/12/2019   8:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sak to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
watermark, thanks.
Valued Member
Canada
77 Posts
Posted 01/13/2019   7:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trodent to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Gilles, great work on the database. Spent the afternoon trying to identify my four Canada 19's. I could only identify two of them.
The other two I believe are not in your database. Please prove me wrong

POSITION 96 Dot on Nose and guide dot at bottom

POSITION 79 Guide dot at left at 330ish, guide dot on RH margin

These two I could not identify

Small guide dot and slash on top of G

Horizontal guide line on both the left and right hand sides. I'm thinking in the 41-49 range.

Thanks

Trodent
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
1226 Posts
Posted 01/13/2019   8:21 pm  Show Profile Check Gilles le timbre's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Gilles le timbre to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Trodent,
the last one looks like position 44, indicated by the position dot of the left small oval, and the dot on the ear (column 4) as well as the slight weak transfer, on top right.
I am not positive about the 3rd one, but looks like you are right on the first 2 (96 and 79).
The position 79 shows 2 distinct markings in the white band UL of the C of cents, and 2 small dots lining up in the top part of the 7 in the bottom right 7. these markings are consistent with those in Kershaw book, as well as with 2 other in my inventory
Good work Trodent.
For your 3rd one, it is most likely from the 2nd or 8th column, but I need more work on it.
Edited by Gilles le timbre - 01/13/2019 8:30 pm
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05