Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Narcotic Tax Stamps Book

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1495 Posts
Posted 10/01/2018   12:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add James Drummond to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Narcotic Tax Stamps Press Release

A new, comprehensive catalog that solely examines narcotic tax stamps has been released. It features:

A new catalog numbering system has been developed that quickly identifies the stamps by size, type, denomination, watermark, and variety. Stamps are cross-referenced to the Scott catalog numbering system.

Enlarged illustrations of most of the known printed and handstamped narcotic overprints, and identification as to whether they are genuine or not.

Publication of several new manufacturer's provisional overprints.

Identification of most of the known manufacturer's cancellations, including brief background information about the company. Hundreds of images of their cancellations on different denominations of stamps, with each type being identified and described.

Accurate retail values for most of the known unused and used narcotic stamps, including various varieties.

Illustrated and exhaustive census information for most of the narcotic stamp rarities, including ownership history, sale price, certification numbers, and so on.

Comprehensive listings of all kinds of narcotic-related forms, certificates, and labels.

Includes chapters on opium tax stamps, state narcotic stamps, and foreign narcotic stamps.

A detailed bibliography of narcotic stamp references.

And much more!

Total of 496 pages, 8 x 11 inches, three hole punched, printed in color. Requires a standard two inch, three hole binder, with a transparent front cover. Pages can easily be replaced with future updated pages.

The book is now available from Eric Jackson for $79 plus shipping.

Here is the link:

http://www.ericjackson.com/rDetails...5906&this=it

Jim
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
506 Posts
Posted 10/01/2018   12:59 pm  Show Profile Check 1typesetter's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1typesetter to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3380 Posts
Posted 10/01/2018   1:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
United States
876 Posts
Posted 10/03/2018   02:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's finally out! Well done!
Valued Member
United States
258 Posts
Posted 10/03/2018   08:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add m and m to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
kudo's to you.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1495 Posts
Posted 10/03/2018   11:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you to all.

Hopefully, for those that are interested in this area, they will find that the end result was worth the wait.

Jim
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1495 Posts
Posted 01/16/2019   9:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, this kinda sucks...*

A couple of months after my book comes out and a faulty narcotic stamp with a straight edge, but with a now-identified cancel, sells for four times its (normal) Scott catalog value.

This particular denomination wasn't listed in my book. Coincidence?

I'm thinking that I've created a monster...

Jim

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DR-JIM-STA...047675.l2557

* For me, 'cuz I was bidding on it.
Valued Member
United States
258 Posts
Posted 01/17/2019   05:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add m and m to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
it always happens that way. maybe by this time next year a revision or addendum will be necessary. once again kudos on your accomplishment.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
652 Posts
Posted 01/17/2019   06:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revenuermd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jim, I agree that listings such as in your fine book on narcotic stamps brings out collectors and leads them to pursue collections and unlisted varieties and denominations. It is how I started collecting the proprietary battleship cancels. You have identified many cancels that were not previously documented in the literature.

Smith, Kline & French was a venerable Philadelphia area pharmaceutical firm that eventually merged with a British firm and is still very much in business. Smith, Kline & French cancels have been long known and identified, even if this denomination had not been recorded in the philatelic literature.
Ron Lesher
Pillar Of The Community
United States
506 Posts
Posted 01/17/2019   08:30 am  Show Profile Check 1typesetter's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1typesetter to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jim,

You really didn't think you'd avoid having to do updates somewhere down the line did you?

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1495 Posts
Posted 01/17/2019   10:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
You really didn't think you'd avoid having to do updates somewhere down the line did you?

The Narcotic Tax Stamps Update Kit #1 is already at a dozen pages.

Jim
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1495 Posts
Posted 02/22/2019   12:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A 44 page update kit to Narcotic Tax Stamps is now available.

These new pages replace the existing pages in the book.

The update kit is free of charge. The pdf document is 5 Mb in size.

If you would like it sent to you, so that you can print it yourself, please send me an email.

If you would rather purchase it from Eric Jackson, please hold off for a bit until he has it available.

Jim
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1495 Posts
Posted 03/23/2019   3:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The update kit to the Narcotic Tax Stamps book is now available from Eric.

https://www.ericjackson.com/rDetail...1011&this=it

Jim
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1495 Posts
Posted 06/12/2019   9:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Back in January I suspected that I had created a monster. I didn't mean to, honest.

But it looks like I was maybe on the right path. Or it's all just a coincidence, perhaps?

This narcotic stamp just sold for an astonishing six times the current Scott catalog value of $16.

It may be because it seems to have a variety of the overprint, most noticeable in the top of the "A" in "Narcotic."

Jim

https://www.ebay.com/itm/U-S-RJA13-...047675.l2557

Pillar Of The Community
United States
6053 Posts
Posted 06/12/2019   11:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This style always seems to be a bit higher in price for some reason. Now $97 is crazy to me, but......
Pillar Of The Community
United States
506 Posts
Posted 06/13/2019   08:58 am  Show Profile Check 1typesetter's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1typesetter to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is an extremely nice example provided it's sound. A lot of the provisionals tend to be faulty to some degree.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.41 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05