Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Scott 295 Question About Double Transfers

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 1,014Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
722 Posts
Posted 10/02/2018   7:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Caper123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Looking closer at this Sc #295 it almost a[pears that there is some doubling in the lettering. One other abnormality was noticed in the top of the 2nd telephone pole, which seems to end in a curl. I had also included a 'normal' 295 for comparison. I would be interested to hear your opinions. Thanks in advance!

Mine:

Comparison example:

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7129 Posts
Posted 10/02/2018   7:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This position is not listed in the French book of plate varieties. However something is clearly going on in the "two cents". Needs a larger image.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
722 Posts
Posted 10/02/2018   7:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Caper123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are a couple closeups as requested.

Valued Member
United States
263 Posts
Posted 10/02/2018   7:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add craigk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a double transfer to me. Nice.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
722 Posts
Posted 03/26/2020   2:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Caper123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
New potential double transfer - looking for opinions from others.

Found this Sc #295 with what appears to be a double transfer, much different than my previous post. Look at the shading in the lettering. Is this a double transfer or merely an inking issue? Looks a bit too uniform for an inking issue to me. (I had to edit the scans to make the shade a bit darker to see the inking better.)

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7129 Posts
Posted 03/27/2020   1:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This stamp is known to have double transfers in both the frame and the vignette.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
722 Posts
Posted 09/18/2020   10:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Caper123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Trying to keep these Scott 295 questions together...

If one finds two stamps in an issue with identical flaws would that be enough to call it a variety? I am referring to the 'cut' telegraph wire. There is also a dot of ink in the upper left and a horizontal line to the left of the 'U' in UNITED the same on both.

Edited by Caper123 - 09/18/2020 4:41 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
722 Posts
Posted 09/21/2020   10:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Caper123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
After much hunting I think I finally ID'd the position on the 'cut wire' 295 from a Siegel posting of a full sheet. Looks to be plate # 1092 (top) and position 20. This is a close up of the top corner of the sheet - sorry, but it's the best I can muster zooming-in on a copy from a Siegel download.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3068 Posts
Posted 09/21/2020   11:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Cut wire: The black and red plates could be paired up into any combination. You have now ID'd one red frame plate paired with a black plate (of unknown plate number) which shows the cut wire. So what we know is position 20 on one of the black plates has the variety.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
722 Posts
Posted 09/21/2020   5:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Caper123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have both #s ... it's from a complete sheet.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3068 Posts
Posted 09/21/2020   6:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The black # is the only one that matters here.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
722 Posts
Posted 09/21/2020   6:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Caper123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are two numbers along the top selvage - both red. Something else in the upper left that I'm unsure of.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3068 Posts
Posted 09/21/2020   7:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is the upper pane of 100 of the press sheet of 200.
The black plate number is in the bottom selvage, so unknown.
Edited by John Becker - 09/21/2020 7:04 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
722 Posts
Posted 09/21/2020   7:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Caper123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You are correct. Hoping to plate it. But, confirms the error exists on three stamps so far, one on that sheet. Not sure what qualifies as a variety but we know it's not a one-off error. Thanks John.
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 1,014Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.32 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05