Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

History Of This Cover - Norway - Greece - Uk

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United Kingdom
358 Posts
Posted 10/04/2018   06:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add jony78 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi,

Looks to be an interesting cover, I wondered what the history of it is.

Any help?

thanks

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
476 Posts
Posted 10/04/2018   06:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Freibergs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Someone on a trip who moved on before the letter reached them?? And then they tried to forward it to her next destination.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
2753 Posts
Posted 10/04/2018   08:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi jony78,

Nice cover!

It appears to have travelled from Norway to Greece to the UK to Switzerland.

I know Hilterfingen on Lake Thun. It's a very nice spot for a holiday.
Nigel
Valued Member
United Kingdom
358 Posts
Posted 10/04/2018   08:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jony78 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
would it have been done on purpose, I mean from a collectors perspective or just a forwarded cover,if you get what I mean?
Pillar Of The Community
1016 Posts
Posted 10/04/2018   10:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kimo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It does not appear to be a philatelic creation but rather a simple case of a letter being forwarded trying to catch up with a young lady who was traveling around Europe with an older woman such as her auntie or perhaps her governess or such. I cannot read the postmark date of when it was first mailed from Norway but some of the other receiving markings show that this was being forwarded to try to catch up with her around August and September of 1914. I think this is somewhat interesting because tensions across Europe had been building at that time. For example, in the previous year - 1913 - Greece had just emerged from the Second Balkan war that involved Serbia, Bulgaria, Macedonia and Turkey (Ottoman Empire) and tensions were very high. I can imagine Greece may not have been the most comfortable of countries for a foreigner to be visiting in 1914. Then an even bigger event that would have affected the movement around Europe of this young lady and her guardian is the beginning of the Great War (what many people today all World War 1). It started with the assassination of the Austro Hungarian Arch Duke and heir to the throne Franz Ferdinand by a Serbian national on June 28, 1914 and the declaration of war one month later on July 28, 1914. While Greece and many other European countries initially tried to remain neutral, most quickly wound up on one side or the other. I should imagine trying to find a friendly country to go to would have been a bit of a challenge trying to stay out ahead of the taking of sides by most of Europe's countries, and perhaps even more so trying to find ways to get to a particular country given the quickly forming battle lines that would have been hard for civilians to get through. Those initial months of the Great War would have been a challenge for civilians such as Miss McCarthy and Mrs. Woodley and it would be fun to imagine something like their moving frequently until they arrived in what was likely to remain a neutral country away from the war such as Switzerland.
Edited by Kimo - 10/04/2018 10:47 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United Kingdom
1084 Posts
Posted 10/04/2018   11:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tim H to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What a cracking cover! Even though it's in poor condition it's seen a lot: forwarded twice and taxed twice in two different postal jurisdictions. It's pretty uncommon to see postage due stamps from two different countries on a cover. Thanks for sharing.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
358 Posts
Posted 10/04/2018   11:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jony78 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all the information. Very interesting cover.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26623 Posts
Posted 10/04/2018   2:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"The Gables" (now demolished) aka the Addams family home
located in Menlove Avenue, Woolton, Liverpool
The Avenue of one, Mr. John Lennon.

There is an John Lennon album called "Menlove Avenue"

Internet......
Does anyone remember a large house called "The Gables", in the metropolitan Liverpool area?? I visited there several times in 1978 and foolishly did not take photos of this incredible old home. I have not found anyone who even remembers it through the years.

It very much resembled the house from The Addams Family, a Victorian, setting back a way from the street, and surrounded by a large wrought iron fence. It was ancient and kind-of falling apart but still lovely. I remember it as being on a corner, but that was 32 years ago...

I would venture a guess that it may have been somewhere in the Woolton area, as we were seeing The Beatle sights. But it could have been anywhere. We went all the way out Smithdown Road, saw Penny Lane, Forthlin Rd, Menlove Ave, etc.
Edited by rod222 - 10/04/2018 2:50 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United Kingdom
1084 Posts
Posted 10/05/2018   02:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tim H to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If it was standing in 1982/1983 I must have cycled past it twice a day on my way to classes at university. I had a room in Woolton. Very posh!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05