Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Comments On 2019 US Specialized Catalogue Revenue Section

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4554 Posts
Posted 10/04/2018   6:49 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add revenuecollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've made my way through the 1st-3rd issue sections of the new Specialized and thought I'd post some comments.

In no particular order:

More value changes than I was anticipating in R1-R151.

Some reductions/corrections but also some increases, especially on double impressions and some of the more expensive imperfs.

2nd issue and some of the inverted centers see reductions.

Some of the expensive 1st issue imperfs that were bordering on "unobtainable" for many are now even more unobtainable.

The new small section on contemporary revenue counterfeits that Eric Jackson added makes for interesting reading. The value for the Hart L. Pierce R3c counterfeit is higher than I would have expected... if anyone's looking for one, hit me up.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
6066 Posts
Posted 10/04/2018   9:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If that one is high, the $3 must be much higher still. And the counterfeit Howard match stamp still higher then that.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4554 Posts
Posted 10/04/2018   10:04 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The $3 Manifest is listed at $7,500 and the Howard match lists for $4,500. There are several others I was unaware of.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6066 Posts
Posted 10/04/2018   10:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I wonder why, since both are equally rare, 2 or 3 known of each.
Valued Member
United States
267 Posts
Posted 10/05/2018   06:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add m and m to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
popularity. the Howard match is an ugly blob of a blue eagle and badly perforated to boot compared to the real thing.
little has been said of it in the philatelic press since the boston book and a brief article in a recent PF Opinions book. little hit the press at the time due to government intervention to keep other ongoing counterfeiting investigations secret.

Valued Member
Learn More...
268 Posts
Posted 10/06/2018   5:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StateRevs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Dan,

Ignoring the price changes for the 1st - 3rd series, are there any new revenue or significantly updated sections in the 2019 cat?

Any chance the wine wallpaper issues have finally plummeted in price?

I have a 2018 and will get a 2019 if there is new material or updates, but will probably wait if there are only price changes.

Thanks!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4554 Posts
Posted 10/06/2018   5:53 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No major additions in the areas I focus on; I can't speak for the M&M sections as I don't collect those. The only addition of interest to me was the revenue counterfeit section, but that's only 2 pages.

"wine wallpaper issues"? Do you mean the high denominations with tabs... or the Smithsonian deacession auction material?

If the latter, I just did a spot check and there are no major changes in the wine stamp section from 2018 to 2019, other than RE107A and RE107B increasing in value, but those are outside my price range anyway.

However, there is one change that I profoundly disagree with (admittedly my experience in this area is limited, but based upon what I've seen and read it doesn't align with reality):

The footnote following RE59 from the 2018 edition reads as follows:

Quote:
Stamps of design RE4 have an adjoining tablet at right for affixing additional stamps. Values are for examples with tablets attached. Examples with the tablets removed sell for much less. Used stamps with additional stamps tied on the tablet with cancels sell for about ten limes the values given. See Nos. RE107A-RE107D.

In the 2019 edition it has been changed to "Used stamps with additional stamps tied on the tablet with cancels sell for about five times the values given."

Cutting the value in half? They appear on the market so infrequently, and every time I've seen them at auction, the competition for built-up examples is quite spirited. They're scarce enough that even a 10x multiplier might be low for certain types. Why the reduction?

Hopefully Ron can chime in, as he's far more knowledgeable in this area than I.

With a 5x multiplier, I'll buy any and all genuine examples at full Scott. Any takers? I didn't think so...
Valued Member
Learn More...
268 Posts
Posted 10/06/2018   6:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StateRevs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Dan,

Thanks!

Yes, the Smithsonian deacession auction material.

There is no way the market can absorb that much mint material, and one of the auctions in the next few weeks has $37,000 (?) "cat value" in complete sheets starting at less than $1,000.

The eBay sales prices for those wine lots that do sell are nowhere near Scott cat.

There are certainly scarce denoms in the series, but the vast majority need significant reductions in cat value to better match demand and availability.

Now looking for nice used examples is a completely different story!

Another availability example is R135b. 22 copies available on eBay as of right now. Not a scarce stamp!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4554 Posts
Posted 10/06/2018   6:17 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Actually, R135b is one of the stamps that went down, from $475 to $425, in the 2019 edition.

The stamp itself isn't uncommon, however the challenge is finding either (1) a nicely centered example, or (2) an example still on document.
Valued Member
United States
148 Posts
Posted 10/07/2018   8:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add therevenueman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Did the S & Co Narcotic, provisional narcotic make it?
Edited by therevenueman - 10/08/2018 09:46 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1497 Posts
Posted 10/19/2018   8:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Revenueman:

No, it did not.

Jim
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1497 Posts
Posted 10/20/2018   4:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I received my new 2019 Scott Specialized catalog yesterday, and I flipped through a few pages to see what was new.

I came across the wine section and was pretty surprised to find these values:

I bought a copy of RE107B back in 2000 for under $500. At the time, the catalog value was $3,250. So a little more than 10% of catalog value for a stamp that clearly had some faults seemed fair.

Not that I'm complaining of course, but does anyone know why the catalog value of this stamp nearly quadrupled in less than 20 years? Did someone figure out that there were less of them around than were first thought?

I guess I should buy a new specialized more often than I do...

This is my copy:

Jim
Pillar Of The Community
United States
652 Posts
Posted 10/20/2018   5:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revenuermd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The book wine stamps (RE56-59 and RE107A-F) when built-up with additional stamps on the tablet to the right of the stamp are all very, very scarce except for RE56. So a blanket statement on premiums for these is misleading at best. For example I know of only one copy of RE107B built-up, none of the RE107A and C have been seen. RE57 and RE59 built-up are also very rare. Years ago I think I recorded two of the RE58 built-up. I must have at least ten of the RE56 built-up and there is at least one other collection that can match my count. And the two of us do not anywhere a monopoly on the built-up.
Ron Lesher
Pillar Of The Community
United States
652 Posts
Posted 10/20/2018   5:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revenuermd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jim- Virtually all the RE107B are faulty. The catalog price is an ideal for a fine copy.
Ron Lesher
Valued Member
United States
148 Posts
Posted 11/10/2018   1:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add therevenueman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well I have had my 2019 edition for about three weeks but finally was able to take a look. As others have said some first issue imperfs went up: R11a +250. R84a +2000. A couple of scarce silks are now priced R26b @2000, and R52d @1500. Silk papers continue to show increases R26d +100, R28d +200, R41d +75. The part perf R51b goes up by 1000. The provisional R158A up by 2500. For 20th century material a mixed bag REF 10 goes up 7500 but RG28 down 5000 and RG 30 down 2500, from the Inmann sale results.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5664 Posts
Posted 11/11/2018   10:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I wish they'd establish a value for revenue stamps on documents, kind of the same way as a stamp on cover. I know there are a lot of variables but there also are a lot of variables with covers. Just a starting point to help the "non experts" like myself. I have some that I'm probably going to part with to fund other areas I collect but don't know where to start.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.28 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05