Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Comments On 2019 US Specialized Catalogue Revenue Section

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4489 Posts
Posted 11/11/2018   10:28 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are actually more variables with respect to revenues on documents than postage stamps on cover. While both have variability with respect to rates paid, solo vs. combo usages, cancels, places of usage, etc., you now add the transaction/document type and the companies in question to the mix.

I don't see it ever happening.

Your best bet is to look at sold listings on eBay, Eric Jackson's website, and my website to get a feel for what constitutes premiums, but even then, minor differences can result in large shifts in value.

As with cancels, the right document can turn a $1.00 SCV item into something worth hundreds of dollars, and Scott will never reflect that, nor does it for front-of-book covers.

It takes time to build up that knowledge/experience; there are no easy shortcuts, unfortunately.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by revenuecollector - 11/11/2018 10:30 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5891 Posts
Posted 11/11/2018   10:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Never going to happen. They wouldn't remotely know where to even begin. As stated above, it doesn't really happen for covers either, except in the most general terms.

A Catalog of United States Revenue-Stamped Documents of the Civil War Era by Type and Tax Rate by Michael Mahler is a good place to start, though.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5587 Posts
Posted 11/11/2018   11:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I understand the many variables but it sounds like the Mahler catalog already has some? I was going to list some at a 99 cent start but that scares me if the right collectors don't see them and a possible $100+ item goes for $8.
The other is to list them higher and end up on a dreamer thread here :)
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4489 Posts
Posted 11/11/2018   11:42 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Note: The Mahler book is an essential reference and mentions relative scarcity but there is no pricing in it (or was there an external pricing supplement at one point? my copy doesn't have one).

Also, population numbers have changed, some considerably, as there has been greater interest in revenue stamps in the last 2 decades since the book was published and more items have come to light.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5891 Posts
Posted 11/11/2018   12:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There was a pricing supplement for Early Matching Usage's. Useful, but of course those are only one group of documents.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
559 Posts
Posted 11/11/2018   12:31 pm  Show Profile Check paperhistory's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paperhistory to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The 1999/2000 pricing supplement covers all uses, not just EMUS.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5891 Posts
Posted 11/11/2018   12:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It does, I was doing it from (lack of ) memory.
Valued Member
United States
142 Posts
Posted 05/24/2019   4:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add therevenueman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, it Scott specialized catalogue updated season now- so if you have any edits or suggestions put them out there and the folks the suggest content changes can lobby on your behalf.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05