Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

My Worldwide Collection: An Ongoing Journey

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 20
Pillar Of The Community
United States
571 Posts
Posted 01/07/2019   07:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A few of them, as you can see, were too large for the page border, so I improvised and just went outside the border. No big deal. These may be mounted differently in the future if (or when) I figure out more information on them.

Hi Spain:

Interesting items. I have not seen them before.

Looks like you print your own pages. If so, for those really long items maybe change the border to single line or print with no border and they would not extend outside?

Don
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
845 Posts
Posted 01/07/2019   09:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spain_1850 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
DonSellos, hello. Those are good suggestions that I think I will tinker with tonight. The program I am using is AlbumEasy. It should allow me to accomplish something similar to what you suggest. When I made these last night I started rather late (for me) so it took a bit of time just to figure out how to place the text where I wanted.

I believe the new versions of AlbumEasy have more features than the one I am using, so I will first get updated.
I should be able to alter the border size, change the border design or even eliminate it.

I know most, or all, if this can probably be accomplished faster and easier using standard publishing tools, but I am just stuck in my ways.
Thank you for the suggestions.
Valued Member
South Africa
185 Posts
Posted 01/07/2019   1:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Perfin_RK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Spain, try these links they for albumeasy, the second one has a way of sorting out your problem with the long lables.

http://goscf.com/t/63954

http://goscf.com/t/64054

Ray
Regards Ray
Pillar Of The Community
United States
845 Posts
Posted 01/07/2019   9:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spain_1850 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If you get around to doing the difficult Argentine departmentals, give us an email, I can probably fill a lot of your gaps, I have a bucket of them.

Rod, I was going to use the SCF email feature, but it doesn't look like I can add an attachment. I was going to just send a Microsoft .doc file, or maybe another way would be better?
I guess I could just start posting my pages, but many of them are very bare hahaha!!
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26338 Posts
Posted 01/08/2019   01:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Spain,
I'll send you my email addy.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
845 Posts
Posted 01/11/2019   4:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spain_1850 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What to do on a cold, snowy day, that I also happen to have the day off from work? I'm gonna declare a STAMPIN' day!

I'm still working on Colombia and I believe I'm just about through with the early pages, where all the varieties are that I need to create pages for, so it should just be a matter of printing pages and mounting stamps.
I'll have some updates, and share some pages, later on.

I was also working on a small, untidy, worldwide, mixed lot I recently purchased from the UK. Been finding some really interesting (to me at least) in it so far. Among them was a small group of early G.B., part of a set from 1880-81. My G.B. pages are pretty sparse in the the early years, so it's really nice to be able to pick up a few I need, all at the same time.

On this page, I added the 1/2p, 1 1/2p, 2p and 5p today, so at least it doesn't look totally empty.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
845 Posts
Posted 01/11/2019   6:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spain_1850 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
OK, so I am basically done mounting my "base" Colombia album to 1940, with the exception of a few oddball back of the book items and the states issues.

Here are some of the latest pages:

One observance regarding the set ini the first picture: I, probably like many, are missing the 2 top values in this set. I actually thought I might have them, based on the relatively low catalog value, but noooooo! So, off to eBay I went to see what was available, and I can't find but a few even available. I even went to Hipstamp and stamps2go and again, nothing. The few I did find were very close to actual catalog value.

Are these really that scarce, or just no interest, so nobody lists them? I'm finding more than a couple instances like this, where the key value is missing, does NOT catalog that much, but can't seem to find them anywhere.

Custom page, adding perforation varieties

Custom page, adding perforation varieties

Custom page for perforation varieties

Yeah, I think most of the early airmail pages will be empty for a while, lol!

Valued Member
United Kingdom
108 Posts
Posted 01/12/2019   01:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add crispinhj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Are these really that scarce, or just no interest, so nobody lists them?

I suspect many of these are quite scarce and the CVs in Scott or SG are massively unrealistic. The only place I have seen some of these harder to come by stamps is at stamp fairs on the tables of a couple of dealers who have them at many many times CV. The reason I think they're possibly scarce is because other stamps in the same sets can appear in almost every general collection you see
Pillar Of The Community
United States
845 Posts
Posted 01/12/2019   11:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spain_1850 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
crispin - I believe you may be correct. Funny thing is, much of the stuff I'm sorting out right now was from a single source collection/accumulation, which has yielded many nice surprises. BUT, many key, but relatively inexpensive, stamps have been missing. So I'm suspecting what I have been purchasing over the years, and squirreling away, will fall into the "general collection" category as well. I really thought I'd have better coverage, but mostly what I tend to find are many duplicates, like most collectors.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
845 Posts
Posted 01/22/2019   8:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spain_1850 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's been a little while since I've updated my progress here, so...

I'm getting close to completion with the base Colombia pages, up to 1975. Years after that will be printed page by page, based on what actual stamps I have, rather than printing all the pages and having them sit basically empty.

1975 is my current cutoff because that is where the bulk of my stamps end. Actually, I have decent coverage to about the mid 1960's, and then things start to get rather spotty.

I must say that Colombia has issued some really nice engraved issues during the 1940's and 1950's. Although most are rather common they look good on album pages.

Also, like most countries, I am short on souvenir sheets. Sometimes you can find lots of SS's on eBay that are country-specific, so I'll have to be on the lookout.
Here are some random pages that are decently filled. No custom pages here though, just plain old Steiner.

I'll post some Airmails and other BOB tomorrow night.

Now I am starting the Colombian department issues (Colombian States). These will be rather sparse as far as coverage, but there is more opportunity for variety.

Colombian stamps mounted so far: 809 (Only includes reg., & back of book to 1975, no States))

Pillar Of The Community
United States
845 Posts
Posted 01/22/2019   8:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spain_1850 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know about others, but I actually find other collectors' storage methods fascinating. I especially like seeing glassine alternatives.

Nowadays, many people use standard mailing envelopes as a glassine alternative. Here are a couple items from collections I've acquired.

The first is actually an album page folded in thirds and then folded in on th e sides, making a makeshift "envelope" of sorts. If you fold it right you can use country heading on the page as your identifier for what's in the envelope, as this person did. I've probably got about 100 or so countries like this from the BIG collection/hoard I bought.

This next one is, I thought, was pretty cool. It looks as though it's an old mourning envelope, with the black edges. The envelope itself appears to made out of some kind of laid paper and has a watermark (which I can't see enough of). I'm not sure how old it is, but it looks like it should have a stamp on it from the 19th century. It's pretty small at 95mm x 50mm. There were about a dozen of these in the newest collection I bought from eBay. I'll have to keep them, just because I like them.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
845 Posts
Posted 01/25/2019   4:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spain_1850 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am coming to the conclusion of the Colombian base collection.

Today I printed album pages for all of the Department issues. I really thought I had enough interesting ones to make a representative collection, but mostly what I have right now are near-empty pages, so I won't even bother showing them.

I did manage to make a page for some manuscript cancels on the 5c stamp from Tolima of 1895. This was rather fun figuring these out. I initially wanted to make a page I could expand upon, and move stamps around, keeping them alphabetical, within department. But since I don't when, or if, I'll ever get any more I decided just to make individual spaces for the ones I do have.

Now all I have to do to finish Colombia is print individual, post-1975 pages, for the few stamps I have for that tie period.

I will also make a page to mount some Christmas seals.

I've got a coupe revenues, but not enough to do anything with just yet.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
289 Posts
Posted 01/25/2019   5:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add codehappy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Today I printed album pages for all of the Department issues. I really thought I had enough interesting ones to make a representative collection, but mostly what I have right now are near-empty pages, so I won't even bother showing them.

The Colombian departments are hard stamps. Most of them, even the ones with low catalog value, are difficult to find.
Edited by codehappy - 01/25/2019 5:45 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
845 Posts
Posted 01/25/2019   5:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spain_1850 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, I kind of got that impression looking at eBay listings. Even min. cat. value stamps seem to sell for multiples (at least) of minimum cat value. I can imagine it would be very interesting though, with all the paper/perf/color varieties. I can also imagine they are not too easy to find on cover.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
845 Posts
Posted 01/26/2019   9:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spain_1850 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This should be the last installment for my base Colombia album. I finally got all the individual, post-1975, pages printed and mounted with the few stamps I have for them. I also made this page for the Colombian Christmas seals I currently have.

The totals for Colombia, as of today, are:

Colombia - 857 mounted
Departments (States) - 70 mounted

This has been a fun country to work through. Trying to figure out what I want to do next will be hard. So many exciting countries to choose from.

I may take a step backward and revisit some countries I already have mounted, since I have acquired more material in the last couple months.
Page: of 20 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.92 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05