Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

My Worldwide Collection: An Ongoing Journey

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 14
Pillar Of The Community
United States
777 Posts
Posted 02/10/2019   3:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spain_1850 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
New Zealand remounting cont'd:

As I work my way through New Zealand I am finding fewer and fewer populated pages. I am up to 1976 and most pages are about 50% full. From here on out I will only post pictures of full or near full pages, as well as any custom pages I had to make and other "out of the ordinary" items.

Here are some of the latest pages remounted.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2152 Posts
Posted 02/10/2019   5:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
spain_1850,

Why do you piggy back (same design stamp mounted on top of another) stamps?
Al
Pillar Of The Community
United States
777 Posts
Posted 02/10/2019   6:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spain_1850 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
These are listed shade varieties that I neglected to notice when printing the pages. Normally I would do a page redesign to add a space, or spaces, for listed shades. I also keep a list of pages where I have done this, in order to revisit them and make a new page.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
840 Posts
Posted 02/10/2019   7:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice display spain_1850

New Zealand certainly made some attractive stamps around their switch to decimal currency.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2152 Posts
Posted 02/11/2019   06:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Normally I would do a page redesign to add a space, or spaces, for listed shades. I also keep a list of pages where I have done this, in order to revisit them and make a new page.

Thanks for explanation. I usually add to be mounted on a Vario page and place in the album. I may use post it notes with page on any special information as a reminder.
Al
Pillar Of The Community
United States
777 Posts
Posted 02/14/2019   06:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spain_1850 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
angore - That sounds like a very good way as well. Whatever works best.

Here is another situation I run into with the Steiner pages. Steiner, like Scott and other album manufacturers, provides spaces for se-tenant pairs and blocks. But I haven't seen any albums that provide spaces for the blocks, or pairs, as well as individual spaces for the individual stamps. So, you are usually left to try and fit individual stamps into the se-tenant space. I prefer both.

Here we have a typical Steiner page with 2 spaces, at the bottom. One for a se-tenant pair and one for a strip of three. Typically, however, you will find used stamps as individuals. So I needed to create a new page accommodating the individual stamps, as well as keeping the se-tenant spaces.

Here is the page I created for those 2 se-tenants.

I've had to do this several times, so far, for New Zealand.
United Kingdom
2 Posts
Posted 02/14/2019   11:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add yorkie68 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just finished reading this brilliant thread and thought I would weigh in with my own thoughts.
I have always collected w/w and a while back won 2 large cartons from Sandafayre here in the UK. I still have no idea how many stamps were in these cartons but have extracted a huge amount of items, with excellent sections of Austria and Germany in particular. I started mounting them in stockbooks at first but after a while realised I was not 100% happy with how they looked. I looked at the different options
for a while and then plumped for using SG Simplex Standard looseleaf albums with black mounts. I keep the writing up of the pages to a minimum of country and date in black ink and am very happy with how they look.
I can't post images at the moment as said albums are boxed away safely after a house move but will endeavour to get some up asap.
Valued Member
United States
245 Posts
Posted 02/14/2019   1:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add clifhiker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
catching up and I missed my chance to comment on your Colombia collection! Well done and quite attractive! The 1947 Orchids issue is one of my favorite ... Colombia overall does a great job with flowers on stamps IMO.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
406 Posts
Posted 02/14/2019   1:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DavidR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome yorkie68!
Interested to see your comment on the Sandafayre auction lot you purchased. I have been tempted to use them a few times but never got round to it, might take the plunge now! Was there a lot of competition for your item, bid-wise?
Regards
DavidR
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
3708 Posts
Posted 02/14/2019   1:40 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just took a look at the individual French items from Sandafayre's upcoming auctions. Estimates look alarmingly high. But presumably they get these levels of bids.
United Kingdom
2 Posts
Posted 02/15/2019   08:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add yorkie68 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi David thanks for the welcome. From what I remember I think I bid around 75% of estimate on each of the box lots, I have no idea of how many other bids they had.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
777 Posts
Posted Yesterday   8:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spain_1850 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I haven't gotten much accomplished lately. I've kind of bee in a weird place with my collection. Sort of walking the line between exhilarated and overwhelmed. I still haven't finished the new Zealand project.

Whenever I get like this, I just randomly start looking through boxes and envelopes, which inevitably leads to feeling overwhelmed. Like, there are so many stamps and will I ever achieve any of my goals?

Part of my problem, I know, is I seem to have a habit of bringing in more than I organize or process, so they build up.

For instance: I have been trying to move along through the alphabet, finishing countries as I go. Right now I am to the point of just about finishing the "A" & "B" countries, although I do routinely sidestep this process to work on other countries that don't begin with A or B. I do have most of the BIG countries done in these 2 letters, so I just need to cleanup things and get the smaller, minor countries done.

But lo and behold, I've been picking up collections here and there and now I have envelopes full (AGAIN) from countries I have already thought I was done with. So now I feel the need to go back and revisit all these countries and process more stamps instead of moving forward and tackling unexplored territory.

I'm sure I will figure it out.

I have also been trying to work out what exactly I want to do with all the duplicates I've been amassing. Some I will keep for further study, but many I do not need.

About a year ago I picked up a 9 volume collection in Minkus Comprehensive worldwide albums (see picture). These albums, and most pages were like new. In fact I don't think they were used at all. Each binder had 2 yearly, worldwide supplements in them. Each one arranged A-Z. There were 16 supplements in all, plus the original one-volume Worldwide album 1840 to about 1965. The single volume album had a decent amount of stamps, and was clearly used for a while. It looks like the collector intended to expend, got all the binders and supplements, but never went any where with it.

I originally thought about flipping these, just to get rid of them, but decided to hold on to them for while. Then another collector made the suggestion to use these albums for housing duplicates. Hey, why not? I already had them but some work was going to be needed to collate them.

So, about a couple months ago, I spent about a week collating all 16 yearly supplements so they were alphabetical. The other day I finally decided to start mounting duplicates into these albums. Still not sure why, but that is what I am doing. They are mostly cheap stamps anyway. What it does it keep my backlog of duplicate-filled envelopes down a bit.

I am also going to make All-Dfferent country packs to sell ( or trade, maybe) with the triplicate stamps. there sure is enough to go around, that's for sure.

One thing I would really like to do however, is find 3 or 4 more binders, like the ones in the picture, so I can spread out the pages a bit more and each album won't be so bulky. I just don't know where to look for them. I am assuming they are no longer being made?

I guess I could buy cheap collections, if I find them, just for the binders, but I really don't want MORE STAMPS right now....UGHHHH!!

If anyone has any that they want gone, because I kow Minkus is not a very HOT ticket item, please let me know. These are the 2 1/2" binders.

Valued Member
United States
65 Posts
Posted Yesterday   11:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Coastwatcher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
spain_1850....I looked on eBay and didn't see any binders like you are looking for but, if you check back every few days, I'm sure that some will eventually come up for sale. I don't think I've ever searched for anything on eBay that I didn't eventually find, although sometimes it took awhile.
Edited by Coastwatcher - Yesterday 11:26 pm
Page: of 14 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05