Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

About stamps by weight  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Israel
355 Posts
Posted 10/07/2018   12:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Rob Roy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
First, I think that selling stamps by weight belittles this hobby.
Of course, it leads to misunderstanding.

From your experience, how many stamps are in, let's say, 10 grams, for on paper and for off paper?
Thanks in advance.
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Canada
43 Posts
Posted 10/07/2018   01:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mirman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't have an answer for you but I hate to pay shipping charges that are going straight in the recycling bin. Same for mixtures with a lot of damaged stamps.

To top it off, these lots are usually non-returnable.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Spain
61 Posts
Posted 10/07/2018   05:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Roberto59 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I do not share your opinion.
The kw have different prices, it depends on the issuing country (more or less inhabitants), it depends if they are checked or not, depends if they are definitive, commemorative or mix, it depends if they are current or of all epochs.
It is necessary to know what wants to be bought and to be important to know the seller, already for previous purchases or for companions' recommendation.
In 1 Kw with fragment of paper they enter(approach) 6.000 stamps.

Lacks and curiosities are obtained and certainly thousands of repeated that they can change, donate to school entities for promotion or to realize handicrafts.
Think that it costs 1 Kw. and that the family is going to the cinema.
In the cinema you amuse yourself the whole evening, with the Kw you amuse yourself a few months and it is cheaper. I recommend to do both things.

CLASSIFIER RESTORED WITH DEFECTIVE STAMPS

Valued Member
Israel
355 Posts
Posted 10/07/2018   2:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rob Roy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the input.
Roberto, I'm not sure what you meant to say.
There are in eBay, for example, two dealers, sdevontheatre_fundraising and post-1950-marke, that sell kw by counting the stamps.
The first is a group of theatre actors, the last sells even 10,000 stamps, but they take the time to count or at least make sure it's no less than a declared amount.
For me buying stamps by the kilo is like buying books by the weight: "Dir sir, I'd like two pounds of Shakespeare and half a pound of Ogdan Nash."
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
527 Posts
Posted 10/07/2018   4:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ringo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't have any problem with the principle of it. It gives you an idea of how big a lot is, better than a photo (the camera certainly can lie sometimes).

I recently bought a large box of off-paper kiloware. The item description included this:

"We work on the industry standard basis that 1KG should average out at 15,000 Stamps though the actual amount can vary by as much as 33% either way"
Valued Member
Israel
355 Posts
Posted 10/08/2018   12:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rob Roy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So they obligated themselves to send at least 10,000 stamps. 1 gram = 10-15 stamps. That's fair enough info.
I guess those were off paper stamps. I tried at home, and 10 on-paper stamps weighed about 2.5 grams, so 1 kg stamps on paper should be around 3000-4000 stamps.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
3386 Posts
Posted 10/10/2018   04:34 am  Show Profile Check KGV Collector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KGV Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Have counted a KG of stamps on paper a few times.

If my memory is working properly 4,500 was the best & 4,150 the worst.

This comment below totally baffals me. All your used stamps originated from weighed stamps being kiloware.

Quote:
First, I think that selling stamps by weight belittles this hobby.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3676 Posts
Posted 10/10/2018   6:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with KGV , but also... I don't think the right word is "belittles this hobby " I think it is more accurate to say the collector starts to view his own collection in a poor light after having a fun time of putting it together with cheap stamps . It is just human nature to have something of value or something where they increased the value over time .
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
23796 Posts
Posted 10/10/2018   8:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Australian Stamp Monthly 1975

Arthur Mongan to Jay Carrigan 2005

John to me ......2011

Edited by rod222 - 10/10/2018 8:56 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2018 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.51 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05