Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Interesting Use of a Revenue Stamp  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
21 Posts
Posted 10/09/2018   7:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add gettinold to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Found this in a collection purchased as a box lot. Don't know much about how revenue stamps were used but typically find them affixed to checks and other financial documents. This one was on the back of an old photograph.

Can't make out the first name. The last name appears to be Smith. This could be somebody's great great grandpa. He doesn't look pleased staring at the camera. I'll bet he considered a camera new fangled technology.

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
23796 Posts
Posted 10/09/2018   7:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The script would suggest a limited education.
Perhaps the first name could be Horrace (sic : Horras)
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
7 Posts
Posted 10/09/2018   7:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Photographs were taxed for a while, most likely during the Civil War.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5834 Posts
Posted 10/09/2018   7:21 pm  Show Profile Check Petert4522's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very common usage in the day. Back when everything had to have a stamp on it. Playing cards, matches, medicine and also photographs. Many have been shown on this forum,

Peter
Valued Member
United States
21 Posts
Posted 10/09/2018   8:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gettinold to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Pete. New to the hobby. Learning something new everyday. Wasn't sure if the revenue stamp belonged on the back of the picture.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4919 Posts
Posted 10/09/2018   8:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Photos were taxed from the Act of June 30, 1864 to the Act of July 13, 1866 based on the price of the photo.
Valued Member
United States
21 Posts
Posted 10/09/2018   8:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gettinold to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That information is very helpful in dating this photo.
Valued Member
Canada
127 Posts
Posted 10/09/2018   9:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It sure looks like the name is Gerrit Smith. And dating the photo using dates rev collector mentioned he would be about 67 to 69 in the photo. So the stamp is dated - July ?? Maybe 1866.

Not sure if he is the same one, but after searching and seeing another photo as a bit younger man I believe it very well may be him. May be a significant piece of history. If it is, he has quite an interesting and storied past. A leading United States social reformer, abolitionist, politician, and philanthropist who lived from March 6, 1797 died Sept. 28, 1874 in New York.

Interesting. Time to do some more searching. Just google his name.

Mike
Edited by No1philatelist - 10/09/2018 9:53 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3925 Posts
Posted 10/09/2018   9:43 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Photos were taxed from the Act of June 30, 1864 to the Act of July 13, 1866 based on the price of the photo.

Not to be pedantic, but the while these are the dates of legislation, the actual dates the tax on photos was in effect was from August 1, 1864 through July 31, 1866.
Valued Member
United States
21 Posts
Posted 10/10/2018   09:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gettinold to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No1

Did a little more research online. Found some manuscript signatures of Gerrit Smith. Noticed similarity. I have reached out to organizations who would be able to determine if photo is of this historic figure. Noticed in old photos he had full beard in his younger days. Photo posted here shows a partial beard only around his neck. When I learn more I will let you know.
Valued Member
United States
21 Posts
Posted 10/10/2018   11:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gettinold to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No1

Heard from someone in the know regarding photo. His response to me:

This is not the Gerrit Smith from Peterboro. I have seen this
picture before, but never with the signature! Thanks for sending both
sides. The signature is definitely not right. I am Smith's biographer,
and have dealt with his atrocious handwriting for decades.

I was also a US stamp dealer from the early 1970s to 1993. I
specialized in pre-1900 stamps in F-VF condition. It was fun and I had a
great collection myself. I sold the business to a dealer in Albany, and
started doing sterling silver craft work. I'm still doing that--and
research and writing on the abolition movement and the Smith family.

Thanks for thinking of us. Norm

Valued Member
Canada
127 Posts
Posted 10/10/2018   11:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Getinold- Thanks for that info. Oh well. I did not think the signature was his but probably the photographers anyway. Now that we know he is not that Gerrit, I wonder where he is truly from. There are so many Smiths in this world we may never find out. Just have to keep dreaming.

Mike
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2018 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05