Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Postal markings on mail returned due to Guatemalan postal disruption  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
353 Posts
Posted 10/10/2018   06:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add mcgeesorg to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I noticed the following alert on the USPS website:

Quote:

Most mail services to Guatemala have been temporarily suspended. Until further notice, only Global Express Guaranteed (GXG) service is available… The Postal Service will, upon request, refund postage and fees on mail returned due to the suspension of service, or the sender may remail them with the existing postage once service to Guatemala has been restored. When remailing under this option, customers must cross out the markings "Mail Service Suspended — Return to Sender."

This is a global disruption, as described here:

Quote:

The suspension is due to a contract dispute between the Guatemalan government and the country's postal agency, El Correo de Guatemala.

I have an interest in auxiliary postal markings. I was curious what a mailpiece returned to the USA would look like, so I sent a test cover to the U.S. embassy address in Guatemala City on September 23, 2018:

Intriguingly, it took a full sixteen days to return to my mailbox, which suggests that it might have made it to the port of entry before being turned back.

I would be interested to see scans of returned covers bearing other markings or returned to other countries.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2441 Posts
Posted 10/10/2018   09:15 am  Show Profile Check Battlestamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Battlestamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mail to Guatemala has been suspended for awhile now. I had a buyer who forgot to update his mail address online when payment was sent. He was in the U.S., but I was given the Guatemala address. It was returned, but this was last year. I guess folks in Guatemala just don't have regular mail anymore.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3140 Posts
Posted 10/10/2018   1:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

http://www.postal-markings.org ... Auxiliary Markings Club
Pillar Of The Community
United States
902 Posts
Posted 10/11/2018   04:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Nixie", in the corner of the yellow label, which you may or may not know, is/are the folks that work on the puzzles and knotty problems, often incorrect addresses, damaged addresses, etc. They apparently are not everywhere in the postal system nowadays so the transit time may be due to forwarding this to them and return. Note the yellow tag is dated the 29th.

Stamp Smarter's 20th Century US Fancy Cancel database:
http://www.stampsmarter.com/feature...rn_Home.html
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3140 Posts
Posted 10/11/2018   4:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In the bad old days - when local phone books were the most critical nixie resource - it made sense for one of the clerks to handle the nixies every day as part of a wider range of duties. It was just one of the things they did during the course of a day, like putting up POBox mail, etc.

With more of the nixies being handled at a central office, as a matter of efficiency, the nixie clerks will work with a backlog / inventory. There is no point having them sit there with nothing to do, so one would expect there to be at least a coupla days 'inventory' onhand at any given time, with a commensurate delay. The USPS feels guiltless about this, as they are not the ones who made the mistake (that got the mail nixie'd) to begin with.

One advantage of centralizing the nixies is that it makes it easier for the USP to compute the system-wide cost of handling nixie mail.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2018 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05