Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

An old envelope for identification  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Greece
23 Posts
Posted 10/10/2018   1:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add manosp to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Any info for this envelope will be appreciated.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
1836 Posts
Posted 10/10/2018   1:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cursus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I guess that it's: Austrian Empire PO in Kandia, Crete, using stamps of the Italian-speaking areas of the AH empire; hence, the face value in "soldi". The letter, seems to be adrressed to Wien, Austria.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
1352 Posts
Posted 10/10/2018   2:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Something is not right with the greek stamp over it's own cancel
Valued Member
Greece
23 Posts
Posted 10/10/2018   2:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add manosp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Cursus what year you estimate it? Hey perf12 what is your opinion.
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
1352 Posts
Posted 10/10/2018   3:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My opinion is that it is a tampered with cover...The two halves of the cancel no.1 & no.2
are not on the same tangent.No.3 is the corner of the stamp on the cancel.So somewhere
along the line the stamp was removed or lost and replaced with another (clumsy job).
value 10 euros.

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
23796 Posts
Posted 10/10/2018   6:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
My opinion is that it is a tampered with cover...

Well spotted ! I would agree. (also the parentheses around "67")
Nice work.

Edited by rod222 - 10/10/2018 6:27 pm
Valued Member
Greece
23 Posts
Posted 10/11/2018   02:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add manosp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks again perf12.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
2494 Posts
Posted 10/11/2018   10:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I believe perf12 has summed this up nicely.

I can't read the address but would expect it to be in Greece.

I used to have a number of covers like this with this combination of an Austrian Post Office stamp applied in Crete and a Greek Hermes Head stamp applied on the island of Syros (Greek post office #67).

An Austrian Lloyd steamer would deliver the cover to the Greek post office on Syros which would forward it to its destination.

For much of the nineteenth century Syros was the shipping hub in that part of the Mediterranean.

Here's an earlier, pre-stamp cover that I still have in my collection that was sent from Crete to Marseille again via Syros and then on to Trieste etc:

I've posted this cover here before so I won't repeat the routing details but they are in the following thread which might be of interest if you haven't seen it before:

Austrian offices in Turkey
http://goscf.com/t/57575
Nigel
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
1352 Posts
Posted 10/11/2018   2:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow! I have almost the same cover,except mine have greek stamps.

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
23796 Posts
Posted 10/11/2018   2:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
Greece
23 Posts
Posted 10/11/2018   3:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add manosp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
perf12 and nigelc your info rocks !
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
2494 Posts
Posted 10/11/2018   6:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Haha...

Time travel by Hermes head stamps.
Nigel
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
2494 Posts
Posted 10/11/2018   6:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Perf12, You have given me a good laugh tonight.

And of course neatly taken us back to the original topic.
Nigel
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2018 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.66 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05