Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Does Anyone Have Postcards With Cars On Them?

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2640 Posts
Posted 02/09/2015   3:27 pm  Show Profile Check Nells250's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice Lotus! I have a similar car in kit-form... unbuilt... someday...
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
257 Posts
Posted 02/10/2015   12:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JessEm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Mike in A Red Four"

Middle of the Street Parking. Hey, That's not a half bad idea where parking is scarce...

Rush Hour

Pillar Of The Community
United States
3638 Posts
Posted 02/10/2015   10:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice cards, JessEm.

Middle of the street parking seems to have been a common practice; there certainly are enough postcards & photographs ...

This begs the question: why were the streets, of so many small towns, so wide to begin with?

Those of us who grew-up on movies of The Old West are likely to say "cattle drives", but that is insufficiently universal.

I think that people built further back from the street because of the dust (kicked-up from unpaved roads) and the smell (droppings from animal transport).

Once paved & mostly traveled by motor car, those very wide streets accommodated middle of the street parking.

My two cents.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4070 Posts
Posted 02/12/2015   1:58 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Splendours of the Edwardian music hall star:

Geoff
Pillar Of The Community
United States
528 Posts
Posted 05/03/2015   8:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ciletaliph to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A new fire auto from about 1910.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
3638 Posts
Posted 05/08/2015   10:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My SCF Postulate: there is just about nothing that you can add to your collection that will not, sooner or later, be fodder for a post to SCF.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey

Pillar Of The Community
United States
3638 Posts
Posted 05/15/2015   11:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Days after posting The Taylor AeroCar postcard (above), I was walking down the street, minding my own business, passing a newspaper rack, when I looked down and spotted the cover story of the weekend edition of The Epoch Times:

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/134...l-this-time/ ... Are Flying Cars for Real This Time?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Epoch_Times

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3638 Posts
Posted 05/21/2015   7:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are cars, and there are cars.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey

Pillar Of The Community
United States
3638 Posts
Posted 05/29/2015   7:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Postcard booklet covers are kinda like postcards, right?

Q/ Anybody recognize any of these cars?

Pillar Of The Community
United States
3638 Posts
Posted 06/05/2015   9:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Cars parked outside The Palladium in Los Angeles.

The card serial number is for 1953, but the photograph could be older; Russ Morgan had a l-o-n-g career.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey

Pillar Of The Community
United States
3638 Posts
Posted 11/08/2015   4:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This car is a Steyr model 50 or 55, an Austrian "People's Car" produced 1936-1940.

You gotta love the aerodynamic styling, from the headlight mounting to the recessed door handles.

http://members.a1.net/steyr-baby/index.html ... more about the Steyr

The car appears on a mass-produced real photo card of Austria's Großglockner Mountain (et al) as seen from the parking lot of the Fuscher Törl monument, a memorial to the workers who died during the building of the Großglockner Hochalpenstrasse (High Alpine Road), which opened on 3 August 1935.

http://www.grossglockner.at/ ... the mountain has a website!

http://www.grossglockner.at/en/hoch...er-toerl.htm ... as does the memorial

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4688 Posts
Posted 11/08/2015   4:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Got to hand it to you ikeyPikey.
You sure got a lot of mileage out of this one card.

http://goscf.com/t/39419

Now see what you did?

Now I have to go through all my PCs looking for cars.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
3638 Posts
Posted 11/08/2015   6:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
After the hours it took to find that bloody car, you'd best believe I posted it twice!

(Besides, like nobody reads the Indexed Photo Postcards thread.)

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
810 Posts
Posted 11/08/2015   7:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rustyc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I read almost all of your postcard threads.
Pillar Of The Community
New Zealand
896 Posts
Posted 11/11/2015   9:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bas S Warwick to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Newcastle St looking north at night. Brunswick GA
...a Lau-Rhea Ward linen PC - 78305 - guessing cars from the 40's

Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.92 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05