Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Does Anyone Have Postcards With Cars On Them?

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11
Learn More...
6650 Posts
Posted 11/12/2015   5:34 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have a large Studebaker post card collection but I won't bore everyone with them all. Here are a few favorites
Don

Coupe Express, late 1930s truck bed on car chassis, looked great with optional side mounts.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
New Zealand
896 Posts
Posted 11/12/2015   7:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bas S Warwick to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don - I dont think we would ever get bored
Pillar Of The Community
New Zealand
896 Posts
Posted 11/12/2015   7:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bas S Warwick to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Leningrad - 1968 PC - Russia to NZ. Written and posted.
In 1914 the name of the city was changed from Saint Petersburg to Petrograd, in 1924 to Leningrad, and in 1991, back to Saint Petersburg.

Interesting row of 60's Russian Cars including a soft top and an official looking chequered car.

Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 11/12/2015   9:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have a large Studebaker post card collection but I won't bore everyone with them all.

I for one would never be "bored" by looking at old Studebaker postcards, they were a very innovative brand in their day.

In fact, looking at the Studebaker Coupe Express postcard (1937 model year, I think) it's a wonder why it wasn't more successful, but I guess it was too far ahead of it's time.
Pillar Of The Community
New Zealand
896 Posts
Posted 11/12/2015   9:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bas S Warwick to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Coupe Express, late 1930s truck bed on car chassis, looked great with optional side mounts.

Interesting to see how a couple lighting up/smoking was perceived to have advertising appeal back then

You would need a disclaimer now.....'smoking damages you health'
Edited by Bas S Warwick - 11/12/2015 9:21 pm
Valued Member
United States
140 Posts
Posted 11/12/2015   9:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Leejb1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
CanadaStamp there is an article about the Labatt truck at the petrol stop.
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 11/12/2015   9:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
CanadaStamp there is an article about the Labatt truck at the petrol stop.

An art deco vehicle at its best ... and don't forget the stamp that goes along with it!

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3118 Posts
Posted 11/13/2015   12:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Some early 1950's era French scenes with cars speckled throughout.

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4688 Posts
Posted 11/14/2015   9:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This one isn't as old as most of the post cards shown here
but it brings back memories of going up to cottage
country in the late fifties with my parents.
The car I'm sure is a 1958 Pontiac, not sure about which
model though.
Maybe a Bonneville?

Pillar Of The Community
New Zealand
896 Posts
Posted 11/14/2015   9:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bas S Warwick to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great shot - scary looking roof box - I would agree it does look like a 1958 Pontiac Bonneville
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 11/15/2015   01:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Given that the postcard is clearly from Canada, my vote is for the 1958 Pontiac Parisienne (The Bonneville name wasn't used in Canada at that time.)
Valued Member
United States
200 Posts
Posted 11/15/2015   12:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dsmith426 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
51Studbaker,

If you have other color Studebaker advertising cards from the 1930s I would love to see them - especially the color ones. I used to collect these type of postcards as a child, but never saw early Studebaker ones.
Valued Member
United States
200 Posts
Posted 11/15/2015   12:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dsmith426 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
lithograving,

The Pontiac on your postcard is a 1958 Canadian Pontiac Strato Chief.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
642 Posts
Posted 11/15/2015   1:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add billw2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yup, Strato-Chief. Canadian Pontiacs back then were basically Chevrolets with Pontiac looking sheet metal.

Oddly I just sold my 58 Bonneville...

Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 11/15/2015   1:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not sure I agree with the "Strato Chief" designation for the car because the Strato-Chief apparently had only three stars on the rear quarter panel; the picture postcard shows four, which leaned me more towards the Parisienne model.

Remembering that this must be the Canadian version, here's where I got my information (see pages 2-4). What do you think?

http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/...58/index.htm

Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.87 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05