Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Does Anyone Have Postcards With Cars On Them?

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11
Valued Member
United States
200 Posts
Posted 11/15/2015   1:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dsmith426 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to google and search for 1958 Pontiac Strato Chief and click on images. They all have four starts and the Strato Chief emblem after the stars just like on the postcard. The Parisienne has different chrome on the side and does not have a name emblem. I'm aware of the sales folder you linked to. It's possible it shows a pre-production rendering of the 1958 Strato Chief, much like the first 1955 Thunderbird brochures showed the Tbird with the Fairlane chrome.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4688 Posts
Posted 11/15/2015   2:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Looking at the writing before the 4 stars

it looks like it was the StratoChief

I found this pic online

Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 11/15/2015   2:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...search for 1958 Pontiac Strato Chief and click on images. They all have four starts and the Strato Chief emblem after the stars just like on the postcard

Some (but not all) are like that. Here's an example from Canada showing only three stars and clearly the Strato Chief script:

I admit I don't know the Canadian versions of these cars very well, but I wonder if the number of stars may have had something to do with the 6-cylinder vs. 8-cylinder engines, much as the Buick portholes on the front fenders of the day designated such differences?
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4688 Posts
Posted 11/15/2015   2:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Canadian Pontiacs back then were basically Chevrolets with Pontiac looking sheet metal.

That kind of stuff happened often here.

I remember a friend of mine buying a used Chrysler Dynasty
many moons ago.

He only bought Chrysler cars but always Dodge or Plymouth models
and now was happy to finally have a top of the line Chrysler.

Until I told him that "Eh buddy, you know they sell those as
Dodges down in the States?"

Anyway he picked a lemon, he got rid of it after less than a year.

My father was also loyal to the brand.
Even though he could never afford a Chrysler model he did buy Plymouths and Dodges but usually bought a Dodge.
Last car he bought was a 1981 Dodge Mirada which I inherited,
gave to the wife and finally sold for 500 bucks.
Edited by lithograving - 11/15/2015 2:51 pm
Learn More...
6652 Posts
Posted 11/15/2015   2:59 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My family bought a brand new 1972 Chevy Vega from the local dealer. I'll never forget the evening my father pulled into the driveway the family all came out to check out the car. He left it running with the lights on but something looked odd… the car had an amber parking lens with a clear bulb on one side of the car and a clear lens with an amber bulb on the other side! I mean, someone either at the factory or the dealership had to think about doing this 'solution'!
Don
Valued Member
United States
200 Posts
Posted 11/15/2015   3:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dsmith426 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
wt1,

Now that photo looks just like an American 1958 Pontiac Chieftain. Did you find other photos matching that configuration? It is different from the sales brochure and also different from all the photos I have seen. I can't read the emblem from that photo, but I'm just curious to see if you found other photos matching the same configuration to eliminate someone switching an emblem.
Valued Member
United States
200 Posts
Posted 11/15/2015   3:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dsmith426 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
lithograving,

Thanks for posting photos. These boards are way to restrictive on what they don't allow new members to do. My posts would be much clearer if I could include links in them myself.
Pillar Of The Community
New Zealand
896 Posts
Posted 11/17/2015   04:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bas S Warwick to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One of my favourite abstract car cards

The Dazzy Mae grill......whats the car?

Learn More...
6652 Posts
Posted 11/17/2015   04:52 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a 1940 Olds
Don
Learn More...
6652 Posts
Posted 11/17/2015   05:02 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a group of Studebaker post cards, many factory issued.
Don

Learn More...
6652 Posts
Posted 11/17/2015   07:45 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's the back end of a 1951 Studebaker in the Smokies.
Don

Edit: What the heck?????? I uploaded this image in another thread and it replaced this one???????

Edit 2 : fixed broken image

Edited by 51studebaker - 11/17/2015 10:24 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
810 Posts
Posted 11/17/2015   07:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rustyc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don, the 1950s Studebakers bring back memories. All of the adult males in my family had either a Ford or a Mercury (several of them worked for local dealerships), except for one uncle who always had a Studebaker.
Learn More...
6652 Posts
Posted 11/17/2015   08:21 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I always perceived Studebaker as an 'engineers' car, they become renowned for many innovations such as 'hill holders' in the 1930s, early adopters of the V8 (1951), automatic transmissions (1950), seat belts (1955), etc. They also were well known as advanced designs including 'First By Far With A Post War Car'. But I love the 1938-39 Coupe Express with side mounts. A classy looking vehicle built on a car chassis with a pickup bed. These founds many farm buyers, such as strawberry growers in Calf., who needed a pickup truck bed but a nice, soft ride.

And of course the 1954 Studebaker Coupe still ranks as one of the 10 best cars ever designed. Sleek, it represented the beginning of the 'long hood, short rear deck, sports styled cars in USA. Compare this car to other more boxy makes offered in 1954.

In 1964, in the twilight years of the company, they offered the Sliding Roof Wagon. Great for moving refrigerators but not much else! Actually, they sold a fair amount of them to news organizations of the time, they mounted tall cameras in the back and used them to take moving footage of many current events.

And of course many folks recall the Studebaker Avanti introduced in 1963. This was the first fiberglass bodied car mass produced in USA. It was also the first mass produced car offered with disk brakes. They came in with several engine options including super charged models. The R4 had duel super chargers and ran very close to the 200 mph at Bonneville (199 mph if I recall correctly). This was only production car of the time to come close to this speed.
Don
Edited by 51studebaker - 11/17/2015 09:32 am
Valued Member
United States
200 Posts
Posted 11/17/2015   08:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dsmith426 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It has the wrong grill for an Oldsmobile, I think it might be a 1947 Chevy Fleetmaster Sedan.
Valued Member
United States
200 Posts
Posted 11/17/2015   08:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dsmith426 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don,

Cool postcards. Do you have a factory issued one of the 1953 Studebaker? I have never seen one and been wondering what it looked like.
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.65 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05