Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

My First Cover and Envelope Sale

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

45 Posts
Posted 10/11/2018   07:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Swscfdc87 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey All! I'm going to my first cover and envelope sale this Saturday. Any tips you can provide or what to expect? I've never been to one so I have no idea what I'm going into, but I'm very excited!

I'll let you all know if I find anything good!
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
244 Posts
Posted 10/11/2018   12:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add svensson to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's not in conjunction with a stamp show/sale? Just covers? That's a little unusual unless it is a dedicated auction.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3157 Posts
Posted 10/11/2018   1:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Please elaborate.
Valued Member
45 Posts
Posted 10/12/2018   08:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Swscfdc87 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, there will be stamps as well. The ad said:

Stamp and Postcards Sale and then the address and time ect. It's in Oneonta, NY Saturday. Since there were no other details I don't know what to expect. I can't really elaborate further. I saw the ad in Linns. This is one of the sales I've seen to me, so I have to check it out!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3157 Posts
Posted 10/12/2018   12:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
SOUTHSIDE The Tri-County Stamp Club and Leatherstocking Stamp Club will co-sponsor a Stamp and Postcard Show from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday at Quality Inn (formerly Holiday Inn) on state Route 23, in Oneonta. Admission is free along with parking. Dealers from across New York state will be there with their collections. Free stamps will be available to all those younger than 16. Contact Bob Finnegan at rfinnegan@stny.rr.com for more information.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2473 Posts
Posted 10/12/2018   12:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampcrow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hmmm, I'm not sure it would be worth the 3hr. drive for me to attend... Tempting though
Pillar Of The Community
898 Posts
Posted 10/12/2018   10:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kimo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
These events are called "Shows" by most collectors. They range from very small ones like this one to very large and elaborate ones that you see in the big cities. This particular one says they will have some dealers there who will be selling stamps, coins and postcards, though there should be at least a few covers as well. The dealers will be sitting in a big room set up with long folding tables. Some dealers will pay for two or more tables while some will pay for a single table - depending on how much stock they decide to bring. They will spread out some of their nicer things on their table(s) to attract attention and lay a sheet of heavy plastic or plexiglass on top to protect it. They will also have a back table on which they will arrange their stock books of the bulk of their material. A few may have bargain boxes where everything in the box is 50 cents or a dollar with discounts for buying larger numbers of items - but the things in those boxes will be the kind of material that they could not sell individually as it would be in poor condition or exceptionally common. When you approach a dealer at their table you need to tell them what kind of material interests you to see if tney have anything to show you. If they do they will typically have it in a long narrow box mixed in with many other things of that kind and you can sit at their table and gently flip through the items to see if there is anything you might like to buy. Keep in mind that there will not likely be anything very inexpensive in such boxes. They may also have additional high cost material in stock books that they can show you. All prices are negotiable and more so if you buy more than one thing, but do not offer a silly low price. Most dealers will be happy to knock a dollar or two off of something under $10, and somethings a bit more off of more expensive things. They will not sell you something they have priced at $10 for $2 though, and if you try that on them they will likely not pay any more attention to you. Small shows like that one will likely have the local stamp club that is sponsoring it have a couple or three tables at the entrance where you can join their club and often they will have some very inexpensive or even free material good for novices and children to get them interested in collecting stamps and joining their club. A couple of stamp show etiquette pointers to keep in mind: Do be respectful and gentle with dealer's material as they have money invested in it, do not trash talk dealer's material to try to get a better price, simply as if they can give a small discount or offer a price within 10 percent of their asking price. Do ask dealers questions - they are collectors themselves and if they are not trying serve multiple buyers they normally are happy to answer your questions so long as you are not monopolizing them. Do wash your hands before going into the room where the dealers are - this is part of treating their material gently and with respect. Do not bring a drink or food anywhere near a dealer's table - no one wants an unhappy and unnecessary accident. Do bring your reference books and catalogs so you can look up items to see their value and know in advance what markings are expected on covers. Do bring a list of what you already have in your collection so you do not buy duplicates accidentally. If you have high value items that you want to sell do bring them and show them to any dealers who have similar material at their tables and ask the dealers if they are interested in buying. If you do this, though, you must fully understand and appreciate that a dealer will likely offer you 50 percent or less of the price that they may be offering the same item for at that table that day. Dealers have significant overhead costs and they need to make a living wage and they may have to sit on that material for months or years tying up their cash so they have to buy at very large discounts from what they try to sell it for. They are not buying something as a collector, but as a dealer. Do have fun!
Valued Member
45 Posts
Posted 10/15/2018   07:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Swscfdc87 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Kimo, thank you for the detailed description. That was exactly how it was and I'm glad I had a heads up. I was looking for women on stamps on covers and it was fairly difficult to find. I was a bit put off that covers were just tightly packed in boxes and not organized by used and unused, or topics, or dates or anything. Also, at the time I was nearly the only one there besides the dealers and one was a bit pushy. I'm not a great shopper and I wasn't sure if I was supposed to paw through the covers? Take them out by handfuls or what. I didn't end up buying anything, but am still glad I went.

At least now when I go to my next one I'll feel more comfortable and will say exactly what I am looking for.
Valued Member
United States
244 Posts
Posted 10/15/2018   08:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add svensson to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Most cover dealers that I have seen organize the sales boxes by State, Country, and/or Subject...like "Military", to at least get you in the right area for your interest. Yep, you can sit right down and paw through the covers, and then the dealer will usually ask you where your interests lay so he can recall if he he/she has what you are looking for.
Valued Member
45 Posts
Posted 10/16/2018   07:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Swscfdc87 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you svensson. Next show I'm just going to dive right in! I do wish they were organized by used and unused, but I'll make I have plenty of time to go through them.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3157 Posts
Posted 10/16/2018   07:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Please explain unused covers. No postmark? No stamp? Unaddressed (FDC)?
Edited by redwoodrandy - 10/16/2018 07:45 am
Valued Member
United States
250 Posts
Posted 10/16/2018   08:14 am  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Swscfdc87, Are you near Oneonta? I'm in Hobart.
Valued Member
United States
148 Posts
Posted 10/16/2018   4:04 pm  Show Profile Check wkusau's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add wkusau to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you have the address or email for any of the dealers that were there, you can contact them with your wants. They might find it during the year and contact you or just bring it back with them next year. You can also do this with future shows that you know which dealers will attend.
Valued Member
45 Posts
Posted 10/17/2018   07:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Swscfdc87 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Redwoodrandy I would consider used anything with a stamp that has been cancelled. There were boxes with unused postcards that had no stamps and no address that you could use today. Since I was looking for covers or postcards with stamps it would have helped if I didn't have to go though covers or postcards that had no stamps. I really like used postcards the best, but used covers as well are interesting to me because there's so much history.

Docgfd, I'm outside of Utica, so Oneonta is a little drive, but not too bad. I could go to shows in Syracuse as well.

wkusau - I didn't know that! I didn't get any of their contact information, but will keep that in mind next time. Thank you!
Edited by Swscfdc87 - 10/17/2018 07:46 am
Valued Member
United States
250 Posts
Posted 10/17/2018   10:12 am  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Swscfdc87 - A couple of shows within reasonable driving distance to you are:

Stepex in Elmira. Held in early October, this is a regional show that includes dealers and exhibits and is held by the Elmira Stamp Club. Unfortunately, the dealer that had me going to this one, Al Greco passed away earlier this year. He had a great selection of world-wide stamps (mostly) and covers. I went to college there, so I'll go again since its my old stomping ground. This is a relatively small show.

Ropex, held in Rochester is a large 'World Series of Philately' (national) show that runs for two days each May. The website for the show can be found at:

http://www.rpastamps.org/ropex.html

This is a terrific show with plenty of dealers and plenty of exhibits. Who knows? Maybe we'll bump into each other some day at one of these philatelic playgrounds.

Valued Member
45 Posts
Posted 10/18/2018   08:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Swscfdc87 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the information. I'll keep my eyes out for other shows around the area. Stamp collecting doesn't seem to be a thing in Utica although I feel there must be some lurking around. I'm very new to this, so I've got a lot to learn. It's so fun I wish I could get more people interested. I never liked history in school, but not that I started this hobby I can't get enough. They should use stamps and covers in history classes! haha

Thank you again for all the information you provided. I'm sure we'll bump into each other one of these days!
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2018 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.81 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05