Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

The Postage Stamps of Kota  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

India
164 Posts
Posted 10/11/2018   2:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Joy Daschaudhuri to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Indian feudatory state Kota used canceler implements as postage stamps.

Kota 1883–4 2Paisa Riyasat Kota black on yellow imperf. stamp (Staal 5)

Gibbons is as usual stupid and useless as it still refuses cataloging Kota stamps which saw genuine postal usage.

References:
1. Kotah Stamps and Postal History.
Johan Frederik Staal.
Gibbons Stamp Monthly (Vol.XXIII No.6 11/1992); p.65

2. Some Notes on the Postal History of the States of Kotah and Jhalawar.
Peter Röver.
India Post (Vol.XLVI No.2 Issue 185 4#8210;6/2012); pp.110-1, 114

3. Postage Stamps of Kotah State.
Phiroz M Medhora.
The Collectors' Club Philatelist (Vol.LIII No.6 11/1974); pp.349-53

4. Stamps and Postal History of Kotah.
Phiroz M Medhora.
India Post (Vol.VIII No.3 Issue 41 6#8210; 9/1974); pp.55-60

5. Dungarpur#8210;Kotah#8210;Shahpura.
Peter Röver.
The London Philatelist (Vol.XCV No.1119-20 3#8210;4/1986); pp.47-56

6. Dungarpur#8210;Kotah#8210;Shahpura An Emendation.
Peter Röver.
The London Philatelist (Vol.XCV No.1123-24 7#8210;8/1986)

7. Kotah Stamps and Postal History.
Johan Frederik Staal.
The London Philatelist (Vol.CXIV No.1326 6/2005)
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
1353 Posts
Posted 10/11/2018   3:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I read your posts on Stampboards.Very interesting.I think real philatelists recognize Kota
as an Independant stamp issueing entity.Frajola link below:

http://www.rfrajola.com/Jaiswal1/Jaiswal1.htm

http://www.indianphilately.net/asmittalbio.html
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United Kingdom
95 Posts
Posted 10/11/2018   4:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add peterh to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Joy - you are right.It doesn't make sense that the Kotah stamps remain unlisted by Gibbons.

...and what about Tonk?

In 1991, in an article on the stamp of Tonk, Frits Staal wrote, "In 1988, the Stanley
Gibbons catalogue, satisfied that 'sufficient evidence had been accumulated', admitted Dungarpur. Shahpura
will be listed in the 1992 edition and Kotah is expected for 1993".

So what happened? I don't think Staal would have written that if he hadn't received some concrete information.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3140 Posts
Posted 10/11/2018   4:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Joy: thanks for posting this!
Valued Member
India
164 Posts
Posted 10/12/2018   3:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Joy Daschaudhuri to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pyotr, what Staal stated is that "the stamps of Kota were "expected" to be inducted in Gibbons listing in 1993.
Ref. The Stamp of Tonk.
Johan Frederik Staal.
The London Philatelist (Vol.C No.1185 9/1991); p.209

It is Philip Kinns, I think, is to blame for not including Kota.
He is very conservative and stubborn type of person when it comes to IFS stamps cataloging, barring that pre-SG 1 Jaypur 1904 ½A Plate IA imperf. lithograph SG 1c, may be credit for that should be given to Alec Jeffreys.

The pretext for not including Kota is that the Head Clerk to the Diwan of Kota state in 2 official letters dt. August 14,1903 and September 13,1903, mentioned that the state of Kota did not "officially" issued postage stamps.
The stamps were Kota State Postmaster's Provisionals of 1883–84 which were not formally authorized by the state.
Ref. Dungarpur–Kotah–Shahpura.
Peter Röver.
The London Philatelist (Vol.XCV No.1119-20 3–4/1986); p.53
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United Kingdom
1020 Posts
Posted Yesterday   05:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tim H to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Now now, Joy. You never know whether Philip will read this. Having met him, I would not agree with your judgement. Careful, methodical maybe but not conservative and stubborn.
Valued Member
India
164 Posts
Posted Yesterday   1:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Joy Daschaudhuri to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Careful??

Go thru my post and the post before mine, that of my good friend Gaurav Porwal who also happens to be one of the persons responsible for the discovery of Jaypur SG 1c, to see the blunder made by Kinns. For God's sake don't shift blame to the other signatory of the erroneous BPA Certificate.

http://www.stampboards.com/viewtopi...927#p4997927
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2018 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.4 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05