Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Check Out What I Didn't Realize

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

39 Posts
Posted 10/12/2018   03:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add justme to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
About a month ago, I posted in the inherited forum and showed the box of stamps that my 74 year old neighbor gave to me. His friend was a stamp collector and died and his brother gave my neighbor the stamps.
I went through a bunch and haven't put a dent in it. I became discouraged because one, I couldn't find anything that wasn't common and two, there were too many versions of the same looking stamp.
So I quit for a while. But decided to go through them again but with a lot more knowledge than I had before.
I found some good stamps, some from 1860's etc but one thing I didn't pay attention to was the back of the stamps. His collection of good stamps got mixed with the rest and as a collector, he wrote the Scott number on some of them. Here's just a sample.

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
154 Posts
Posted 10/12/2018   08:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Willwood42 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Someone else's Scott number is a good place to start, but I have found them to be mistaken as often as not, especially when perforations and watermarks are concerned.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Willwood42 - 10/12/2018 08:49 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2021 Posts
Posted 10/12/2018   08:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have acquired collections and find errors. I am moving stamps from a British Commonwealth collection and clear someone did not know watermarks well.
Al
Valued Member
39 Posts
Posted 10/12/2018   10:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add justme to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, I looked them up last night after I posted. The one in the top right corner says 594 11x11 (Franklin) and another one is 267 (Washington). Especially the 594? I'm not going to get my hopes up but it's worth doing the research. I deal in other collectibles and have hit the jackpot before so there is always a possibility.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2282 Posts
Posted 10/12/2018   11:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chasa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
my theory: anybody who is dumb enough to write id numbers on the back of stamps is dumb enough to mis=id them.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 10/12/2018   11:18 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
anybody who is dumb enough to write id numbers on the back of stamps is dumb enough to mis=id them.

Many old-time collections have catalog numbers written in pencil on the back. I've also seen dealer stocks that have this as well. Obviously it's a bigger deal on mint stamps than used.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1262 Posts
Posted 10/12/2018   11:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And another issue is that over time, catalog numbers often change.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
3511 Posts
Posted 10/12/2018   11:31 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As an occasional stamp scribbler, I'd be more concerned that the previous owner has marked some of these with what appears to be ink or indelible pencil.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2021 Posts
Posted 10/12/2018   12:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What is worse: pencil marking or hinging?
Al
Learn More...
5712 Posts
Posted 10/12/2018   12:30 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What is worse: pencil marking or hinging?

In my opinion, pencil marking
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
832 Posts
Posted 10/12/2018   1:18 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I often see Cat Values penciled in under stamps in the collections I buy. 9 out of 10 times the Cat Values are wrong (and usually on the high side}.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3163 Posts
Posted 10/12/2018   1:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Do not like pencil marking and often wrong.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1871 Posts
Posted 10/12/2018   2:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't mind light pencil (soft lead) markings.

These look like they were done with a heavy hand...and some look like they were done with indelible pencil.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1062 Posts
Posted 10/12/2018   4:34 pm  Show Profile Check cfrphoto's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add cfrphoto to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hinge remnants should not remain on used stamps. Faults or other problems may lurk.
Edited by cfrphoto - 10/12/2018 4:35 pm
Valued Member
Singapore
207 Posts
Posted 10/12/2018   9:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pennyblackie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I never believed in hinging or marking stamps. Stamp collecting is not just about diligence, caring for the stamps is as important.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2018 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.76 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05