Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Lebanon 1929 Airmail Types I And II

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 550Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
786 Posts
Posted 10/14/2018   02:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add mootermutt987 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Lebanon Scott #C-36 - I recall reading somewhere (probably an auction catalog, but could not POSSIBLY remember whose) that there were a total of 100 of the Type II overprints printed. I know this stamp is scarce, and suspect this quantity is reasonable. Anyone know anything about this figure??

My real reason for this post: does anyone know the layout of the Type II stamps? Are there a small number of them in a sheet of Type I stamps?? Thus, se-tenant pairs are possible, which I have never heard of. Or... was this issued in full sheets of Type II, and only a sheet or two were ever printed??? I've never seen a block of any size of the Type II. I'd LOVE to see one!!
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United Kingdom
490 Posts
Posted 10/14/2018   10:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DavidR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi mootermutt987
According to my SG catalogue the T2 surcharge overprint varies from T1 by the size / shape of the figures. The catalogue does not mention the possibility of se-tenant pairs, just to beware of forgeries of T2.
Both T1 & T2 have high cat values, £200 & £1000 respectively mint, £225 & £950 used.
Regards
DavidR
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5836 Posts
Posted 10/16/2018   06:52 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Assuming that this is the 15 pi on 25 pi blue, Maury says that two sheets of 50 stamps were printed with the Type II surcharge - there shouldn't, therefore, be se-tenant pairs.

Genuine and forged overprints illustrated here

http://stampforgeries.com/forged-st...-of-lebanon/

And more on the 15 pi overprint on this interesting site

http://lapsite.org/observations-on-...s-air-stamp/
Edited by GeoffHa - 10/16/2018 07:36 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
786 Posts
Posted 10/17/2018   04:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, DavidR and GeoffHa! That's exactly what I was hoping to learn. So... my dream of a se-tenant pair is dashed, but there is still hope for a Type II block! At 1000 Euros per stamp, a block must be a truly scarce item. I've been looking for close to 30 years, and still haven't seen a block. I'm saving my pennies....
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33077 Posts
Posted 09/24/2021   9:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Thread bumped ,last post 2 years ago.

Lebanon's first Aerogrammes
Author : Bruce Conde (Possibly writing at the time for Linns)

wiki
Bruce Conde (aka Abdurraham Bruce Alfonso de Bourbon Condé, aka Alfonso Yorba) (5 December 1913 – 19 July 1992) was a US Army officer, stamp collector, royal imposter, and a general for Royalist forces during the North Yemen Civil War.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
5520 Posts
Posted 09/24/2021   10:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"My dream of a se-tenant pair is dashed " No it is not ,there is still the error on a se-tenant pair of the 1962 Boy Scout .
Edited by floortrader - 09/24/2021 10:14 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 550Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.12 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05