Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Collection Of Line Pairs US Coil Stamps

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 1,492Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
22 Posts
Posted 10/16/2018   5:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add kaps15 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Someone asked me to look at a collection his father had. Nothing too spectacular for US but one binder did contain several pages like these shown of line pairs of coil stamps. I don't really have any interests in coils. He was asking me what he could get for them.

For a private collector would offering him 50% of face value be an insult? Seems these bags of definitives go for 1/3 face now at shows by the bag/bucket/barrel. Are line pairs worth significantly more?

Thank you.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1189 Posts
Posted 10/16/2018   9:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stampman2002 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Unfortunately, the real price should probably be 50% of face value, not catalog.

The coils shown are common, so there really isn't much catalog premium to them.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
27 Posts
Posted 10/17/2018   03:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ernie11 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Off the top of my head, I don't know if any of the plate numbers on that 17c Electric Auto stamp are scarce, that maybe should be checked.
Valued Member
122 Posts
Posted 10/17/2018   11:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philatomic to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
On the 17c Electric Auto, plate 6 is worth the most, but it's still only a few dollars. And strips of 3 are a tough sell.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7558 Posts
Posted 10/17/2018   11:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
These are all face value stamps. When found in large lots, that is how they are counted.
Valued Member
United States
7 Posts
Posted 10/18/2018   6:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add slhoffman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Someone had a fun time collecting (accumulating) these coils, and I hope your friend understands that. If he was a golfer, he'd have some old clubs to sell that wouldn't be worth what these stamps are worth. I agree that 50% face is the buy rate. At these face values, however, I'd probably pay for the scare plate numbers (if any) and agree to donate the rest to the APS young collectors' needs.
Valued Member
148 Posts
Posted 10/22/2018   2:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Perf10 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Quite the color intensity variation among those FDR stamps. Someone into such varieties might be willing to pay more than 50% face for those, but probably not more than 100% face.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1189 Posts
Posted 10/22/2018   5:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stampman2002 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That entire series is a shades collector's dream (or nightmare). There are a few shades listed in the U.S. Specialized, but there are many more. Here's an example with the 50 cent Lucy Stone:

Valued Member
United States
51 Posts
Posted 04/05/2019   08:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dwwjr56 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If there are other transportation or flags with coil numbers #1891 comes to mind there could be value.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 1,492Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.12 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05