Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

US Working Towards Withdrawal From The Universal Postal Union

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 2,621Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
35 Posts
Posted 10/31/2018   4:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bobeid to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Editorial Board of the Washington Post supports the decision to withdraw from the Universal Postal Union.

See "Trump made the right call to withdraw from the Universal Postal Union" at: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...031e427b361b
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
89 Posts
Posted 11/04/2018   1:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txphl to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Regarding political opinions, facts and articles - perhaps we can leave those out of the Philatelic News forums, and move those to the Opt-In forums? I join the forums to relax, and regardless of whether I'd agree with any given political position/opinion, these discussions (not the actual UPU news) have a way of becoming stressful. I don't want to stop reading any of the follow-up comments in the off-chance there is something STAMP-related buried in the differing opinions. However, I will say that at least these forums are a lot more polite and respectful, and I've yet to see Godwin's Law rear its ugly head. My apologies if my suggestion offends anyone.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1525 Posts
Posted 11/04/2018   1:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The discourse has been perfectly civil thus far and this topic seems unlikely to go off the rails. There's always the option not to read the new posts on it.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2011 Posts
Posted 08/27/2019   12:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TheArtfulHinger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
eBay sent out an email today urging us to write our representatives urging them not to withdraw from the UPU. As my eBay sales can be as much as 80% international, this is near and dear to my heart.

Even if the doomsday "no international shipments" prediction doesn't come to pass, a steep price increase could accomplish the same thing, though I'm mostly concerned about rates to Europe.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7104 Posts
Posted 08/27/2019   12:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Why are we at this point?

In the 1960's, the UPU granted shipping discounts to a number of developing countries to help grow the global economy. China was one of those countries…and despite its current position as an emerging global power, they are still on that list. As a result, the terminal dues China pays are significantly smaller than countries like the United States. In essence, the US and other developed countries are footing the bill for China's cheap overseas shipping, specifically on parcels 4.4 pounds or lighter.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2011 Posts
Posted 08/27/2019   2:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TheArtfulHinger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Understood completely, Rodgcam, I'm fully aware of the background of this issue. That part of it needs to be addressed somehow, but withdrawing from the UPU altogether seems a bit drastic, given the other benefits of remaining in. Sure, the USPS might recoup some funds, but if a bunch of American sellers lose their overseas markets, what is gained? My pittance isn't going to affect anyone but me, but surely the total amount of international commerce dependent on the postal service has to be a lot greater than what the USPS loses out on packages from China. Just saying more thought needs to go into this before simply pulling the plug and walking away.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7104 Posts
Posted 08/27/2019   2:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Negotiations have been and are ongoing. Nobody will lose access to sending International mail via USPS if the withdrawal does take affect. The USPS has been planning for the UPU withdrawal since the topic was first broached by the current administration. The rates are unknown as of yet. Bilateral rate agreements would have to be worked out and the USPS would partner with commercial firms to move International mail.

Let us see who blinks first I guess?

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2011 Posts
Posted 08/27/2019   2:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TheArtfulHinger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As long as first class rates to Europe stay steady or at least don't increase by more than ~20% or thereabouts, I'll be good with whatever happens.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1932 Posts
Posted 08/27/2019   6:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Robert,

I entirely agree with you. China has been getting a pass way too long.

Jack Kelley
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2011 Posts
Posted 09/27/2019   01:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TheArtfulHinger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a deal was reached keeping the US in the UPU:

https://time.com/5687134/trump-univ...xid=tcoshare
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 2,621Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05