Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Plating Of Stamps From Around The World

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 996Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2714 Posts
Posted 10/21/2018   5:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The stamp is printed in letterpress of three hundred copies forming two panels of 150 postage stamps (10 15) separated by a vertical space of 1 to 2 centimeters. The printed sheet is then cut vertically into 2 sheets of 150 stamps for sale in the post office's !

All that is left;the largest block of the 1 Franc Napoleon (ex Burrus)

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1501 Posts
Posted 10/21/2018   6:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Sydney Views and Laureates (including the undenominated Registration stamp) of New South Wales can all be plated.

Other early Australian States issues can also be plated.
Valued Member
426 Posts
Posted 10/22/2018   5:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sorsh to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@Spain.. so in theory you could find completely identical stamps in a sheet of 255, which you would have no definitive position of unless you had blocks or strips?

is this also the case with the other contributions? or can you create reconstructions without a portion of guessing?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
929 Posts
Posted 10/22/2018   8:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spain_1850 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorsh, I guess that would essentially be correct. If you had say, a copy of type I, position 1, then that particular stamp could have come from a number of spots on the sheet of 255, because of the repeating report block. I guess that's why collectors only bother to reconstruct the report blocks and not an entire sheet.

Also, I noticed I made a typo in my original post. Type II contains 40 positions, not 48.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5774 Posts
Posted 10/22/2018   11:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Plating goes on all over. As just one example, this is from a Sismondo certificate where he identifies it as 39 out of 40 transfer subjects.

The stamp is Switzerland Sc#7.
Valued Member
Spain
28 Posts
Posted 01/12/2020   04:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Paco to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Spain 1 should be plateable, but I don't think anybody has seriously tried to reconstruct the plates. There was a block of 150, and multiples are common. It wouldn't be easy nor cheap gathering all required material, but it's possible.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 996Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.58 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05