Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Date Picture Postcards

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 588Next Topic  
Valued Member
Bulgaria
287 Posts
Posted 10/23/2018   05:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add MrPhilaRooms to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Since most of the picture postcards have no year specified on their back, I'd like to start this thread for helping ascertain the year of these products.

I start with two Austrian postcards.
Can someone put a date on them? (year)

Publisher: H. Schuster

Publisher: Fleischmann & Jaeger

Send note to Staff

Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 10/24/2018   09:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In general, a practical goal is to identify the decade, never mind the year

In modern photochromes (cards like the ones you've shown), consider the size.

In the US, you'll find both 3x5 and 4x6 photochromes. Different publishers switched at different times.

Also, look at the quality. The early photochromes (especially in the US) were bloody awful: the color registration was so poor that the early cards (eg 1950s 3x5s) can be painful to look at.

But European publishers switched to photochrome much later, so these will almost always be 4x6, and almost always be of a higher quality.

My guess? Your cards are probably 1970s-1980s.

Wanna do better?

1) The number of digits in the telephone number & the postal code in the publisher's imprint will set reliably hard limits on the date range.

2) http://www.metropostcard.com/metrop...lishers.html ... you will find many publishers listed in the MPC database with some indication of the years in which they operated ... but no database is perfect

3) Lastly, of course, there's content. Do a Google image search on the subject - or use Google Earth, if appropriate - and use the buildings or features that are not in your card's image to help set the date.

Sometimes, you can get lucky with details like scaffolding on an historic church ... if you can find out when they were sandblasting that exterior, Bob's your uncle.

And, sometimes, you can get stupid-lucky because a well-documented skyline is constantly changing. Don't let the sepia tones in the postcard (below) fool you. The image includes the New York Merchandise Mart, completed in 1974, and a building that I'm pretty sure is the not-yet-complete 3 Park Avenue, completed in 1975.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Bulgaria
287 Posts
Posted 10/24/2018   09:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MrPhilaRooms to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nobody knows anything about the above Austrian ones?

Hope there is someone familiar with the French postcards.
Do you know the year of the following three?

Publisher Chantal:

Publisher Centre des monuments nationaux:

Publisher RIBO:

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7657 Posts
Posted 10/24/2018   09:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ikey, I agree fully with you. Fist thought as the quality off the color and pointed at the seventies. Also, the Volkswagon bus seems to date the card pretty close

Peter
Valued Member
Bulgaria
287 Posts
Posted 10/24/2018   09:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MrPhilaRooms to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ikeyPikey, thanks for the response.
Valued Member
Bulgaria
287 Posts
Posted 10/24/2018   09:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MrPhilaRooms to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, the decade is easier to guess but it is still too general.
If not the exact year, would be good to put on the postcard "Early Seventies", "Mid Seventies" or "Late Seventies", at least.
Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 10/24/2018   09:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I forgot to mention the cars because I am largely indifferent to cars; in fact, over the years, I've put up a few cards on SCF asking people to identify the model years of the cars on a card.

This works best when one of the cars is a Studebaker, for reasons that escape me.

Remember that cars only set the earliest possible date; I drive a 2001 Mercury Grand Marquis, myself.

Clothing styles can sometimes offer a clue, as can any advertising (the product, the logo, the slogan) if the image is of Piccadilly Circus or Times Square or ...

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey

Pillar Of The Community
3814 Posts
Posted 10/24/2018   09:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The year the photo was taken and the year the mage was published may be separated by a considerable amount of time. Early 1900s negatives were used and reused and touched-up for many years rather than take a new photo.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 588Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05