Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Germany's Reichspostdienstflagge (Official Flag) Machine Cancel

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community

United States
1257 Posts
Posted 10/24/2018   6:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Trainwreck to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was reading the Germany: Cancellation Premium thread and came across PostmasterGS' reply regarding the Reichspostdienstflagge machine cancel. Here is the link to his reply: http://goscf.com/t/8094&whichpage=8#447752 br /

I have had three examples in my collection awaiting identification.

The first stamp is Germany Scott 67 and seems to have been canceled using the Columbia machine in Berlin.
The second stamp is Scott 82h (pre-war printing) and was also canceled by the Columbia machine.
The third stamp is Scott 65C and it seems to have been canceled by the Behling & Lubke test machine in Berlin. I base this on the shape of the tassels and comparing to the images provided by PostmasterGS.

I'd like to hear what others think about my identifications, and anything else related to this cancel.

Thanks, Robert

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2109 Posts
Posted 10/24/2018   8:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say the third one is probably the common Bickerdike machine. The tassel lines run all the way to the knot, and the knot is a donut shape instead of single line.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1257 Posts
Posted 10/25/2018   07:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I will look at #3 again, taking into account your observations.

Thanks.
Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2109 Posts
Posted 10/25/2018   08:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Trainwreck,

Now that I look at it again, I'm not so sure. The knot on the Bickerdike should actually be three small circles, though they often aren't fully printed, but there's no sign of those at all on your third one.
Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1257 Posts
Posted 10/25/2018   7:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
After looking at the three cancels up close, I think I need to change my identification.

The Bickerdike cancel is on the left, the Behling & Lubke cancel on the right, my stamp in the center. I believe the cancel on my stamp has a better resemblance to the Bickerdike cancel. The length of the tassels and the shape of the knot seems to clinch it.

Thanks PostmasterGS for your help.

Robert
Valued Member
Canada
433 Posts
Posted 07/06/2019   08:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Glad I found this thread and the other one linked. I had been thinking that the cancel on this stamp (scott #65C) depicted a giant squid or kraken being caught by fishing nets! Couldn't figure out why that would be on a 1902 German stamp :)

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05