Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

1800s York PA Postal History Covers

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community

Guatemala
1499 Posts
Posted 10/25/2018   11:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add quigngt to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The first is the oldest (1804) York PA cover I now have. It has no content.

The second (1817) below has a hand stamped straight line city and date cancel I've not seen before. It is not listed in American Stampless Cover Catalog. There were several bidders and it ended up being rather expensive. It's content is a letter to the Durham NH Postmaster for information on a man who had not paid a loan. An interesting letter with numerous names of people.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
577 Posts
Posted 10/25/2018   11:19 am  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Since your straightline isn't listed in the current edition of the ASCC, might I suggest you send a scan in for inclusion in the updated version being worked on:

https://www.uspcs.org/resource-cent.../your-input/
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
584 Posts
Posted 10/25/2018   12:03 pm  Show Profile Check paperhistory's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paperhistory to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The straightline is most likely from York, Maine.
Pillar Of The Community
Guatemala
1499 Posts
Posted 10/25/2018   3:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add quigngt to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
paperhistory, I just checked a map and sure enough, York Me and Durham NH are only about 10 miles apart. I believe you opinion is most likely correct. Are you from the area?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2511 Posts
Posted 10/25/2018   4:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampcrow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
1804, is that really early for a CDS? When was the first CDS used?
Pillar Of The Community
Guatemala
1499 Posts
Posted 10/25/2018   4:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add quigngt to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure when the first CDS was used but the cover has 1804 written in similar manuscript at the bottom of the image. It's upside down on the image.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
584 Posts
Posted 10/25/2018   7:43 pm  Show Profile Check paperhistory's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paperhistory to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
not from the area, but I'm a postal history dealer and I've seen the York straightline before (I have one in stock).

First widespread use of CDS markings in the US started in 1799 (with a handful of government-issued devices). There is a circular Charleston SC marking from 1778.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2511 Posts
Posted 10/25/2018   9:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampcrow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks!!, I did a quick Google search but couldn't find any good info.
Pillar Of The Community
Guatemala
1499 Posts
Posted 10/25/2018   10:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add quigngt to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
paper history, does the York straight-line cancel you have use the same font as mine? That could confirm mine as a York ME if it is identical. The letter content only says York without a State so it doesn't help. Maybe the names in the letter would help but I'm apparently not save enough to find out since my search efforts were useless.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
584 Posts
Posted 10/26/2018   09:23 am  Show Profile Check paperhistory's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paperhistory to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
here's mine (1812), which also doesn't mention a state name anywhere but it can't be PA due to the short-distance rate.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
577 Posts
Posted 10/26/2018   09:57 am  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's some info on George Frost:

https://www.library.unh.edu/find/ar...rs-1750-1821

If you care to list some of the other names on your SFL, I might be able to come up with something, having access to several newspaper data bases.
Pillar Of The Community
Guatemala
1499 Posts
Posted 10/26/2018   10:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add quigngt to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
paper history, I am convinced you are correct. Font and point are identical with mine. It took 20 bids to win so it appears to be a desirable cancel. But now that you shown me it is York ME, I am not interested in keeping it. I will contact the seller try to return it. The problem with returning the cover is that I am back in Guatemala from a short trip in the US. The Guatemalan postal service had been closed for at least a year and a half but is now operating only a small number of post offices. I am not sure of how secure the service is at this time. It is possible I won't be able to return it within the seller's time frame.
Pillar Of The Community
Guatemala
1499 Posts
Posted 10/26/2018   10:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add quigngt to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
docgfd. Nice site you've linked. If you can find any info on Isaac O Smith from York, ME I'd appreciate it as it would add an extra confirmation that my cover is not York, PA.

I'm leaving soon for 4 days so I may or may not be able to reply again until Tuesday.
Valued Member
United States
262 Posts
Posted 10/26/2018   1:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add craigk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The name is Israel O. Smith. The Smith's were in the shipping business out of York Maine. The O. stands for Orne. The Orne's were a prominent merchant marine family in Salem MA. The Smith and Orne families intertwined thru marriage in the mid 1700's.

http://findingaid.winterthur.org/ht.../COL0509.htm
Edited by craigk - 10/26/2018 1:51 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Guatemala
1499 Posts
Posted 10/29/2018   5:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add quigngt to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
craigk, if I would read my own cover rather than depend on memory. I would have noticed it says Israel and not Isaac. Your research is excellent - Thank You.

Thank you again paper history for having identified the cover being from York, ME. Now to contact the seller and see if anything can be done to return the cover.
Pillar Of The Community
Guatemala
1499 Posts
Posted 04/10/2019   10:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add quigngt to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I recently purchased these two Postal History items. The first is 1855 with green cancel and a plated stamp. The second, a post card with a fancy cancel I've not seen before with a York postmark. Actually, I have come across numerous fancy cancels on York PA postmarks that are "unlisted" with York PA use. Most likely this is a common fact with many city and town cancels across the country.

This post card even has the signature/autograph of A B Farquhar twice; front and back. His message asked a supplier of bolts to ship what was ready his order even if only a part of it was ready since he needed them immediately. Though I doubt his autograph is sought after, his factories in York produced many farming and industrial equipment that were in high demand throughout the US and internationally.

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05