Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Does Long Wave Lamps Show Paper Varieties?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 736Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community

Guatemala
1500 Posts
Posted 10/25/2018   11:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add quigngt to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am enjoying testing my new short and long wave light. Using the long wave lamp shows 3 different colors on the same issue of Scott #2133a. All five stamps in both images do not reveal any of the color variations under shortwave.

These Scott #2453 may help to explain the above stamps. I am just guessing but the purple color under long wave looks like it might be some kind of coating applied to the stamps with the left stamp showing an incomplete coating.

Send note to Staff
Edited by quigngt - 10/25/2018 7:43 pm

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7720 Posts
Posted 10/25/2018   11:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The purple color is the basic color of the paper if there is no taggant present. Neither stamp you show is supposed to be tagged since they are pecanceled. Long wave UV will show ( among others ) if any brighteners have been added to the paper. Can you tell us the model of the UV lamp you have?
Also, are you stamps mint or used? The 05 cent Canoe on the left side looks like it has a problem, like maybe an environmental issue.

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Petert4522 - 10/25/2018 11:59 am
Pillar Of The Community
Guatemala
1500 Posts
Posted 10/25/2018   3:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add quigngt to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Peter, all 5 are used, none are tagged. A number of other transportation issues I have show similar problems as the left Canoe. I have a Lighthouse L81. No doubt it is not the best but the really good ones were much more than I am willing to pay.

If the various colors under long wave are indeed due to brighteners, do the colors identify the brighteners?
Edited by quigngt - 10/25/2018 3:33 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7720 Posts
Posted 10/25/2018   3:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Quignt, first this. At least on US stamps it is more or less futile to check for tagging on a used stamp. The canoe stamp with the strange looks is probably looking that way because of "migrant" tagging - taggant that came off another stamp. Could also be water damage due to soaking.
And yes, I think the different colors on the 12.5 cent are due mainly to brighteners but also to different papers used. According to the
1995 PNC catalog edited by Richard Nazar there were four different papers used on this stamp

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
Guatemala
1500 Posts
Posted 10/25/2018   4:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add quigngt to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Peter, I was suspecting different paper types so maybe these are explained of the four types mentioned by Nazar.

I've got a bunch of 05 Canoes I'll check in the next week or so to see what they show.

btw, I'm just curious about these and not looking for errors or rarities.
Pillar Of The Community
Guatemala
1500 Posts
Posted 10/25/2018   4:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add quigngt to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Peter, another question raised by your comment on migrant tagging. What I have found on all the transportation and other issues I have checked, the tagging shows as green. So wouldn't the migrant tagging also be green rather than purple?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7720 Posts
Posted 10/25/2018   5:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Tagging is green - the canoe you show is greenish, at least the left side. Remember, checking the tagging should ideally be done on mint stamps, not on used stamps that have been soaked off.

Peter
Learn More...
9903 Posts
Posted 10/25/2018   5:35 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

More info on the tagging on the #2133 including images
http://stampsmarter.com/features/TaggingView.html
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Guatemala
1500 Posts
Posted 10/25/2018   6:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add quigngt to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Peter, both Canoe stamps are not green; they are purple as seen under my way long wave, in the original photo I took and in the image uploaded. I suppose what you see is possibly your computer interpreting it as green so I'm not doubting you see green. But I assure you the color is purple (slightly reddish purple rather than blueish). The purple color is on the right half and lower left corner, the rest of the left half is mostly blueish white with a bit of light purple shading. I say not green because looking at the stamps under LW with naked eye, they display a purple as displayed on my computer.
Edited by quigngt - 10/25/2018 7:36 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7720 Posts
Posted 10/25/2018   6:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Quigngt, it is not important what that color is - it is a used stamp and is probably damaged by soaking.
Also, in your original post please add an "a" to the 2133. The three 12.5 cent stamps are Scott 2133a, not 2133.

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
Guatemala
1500 Posts
Posted 10/25/2018   7:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add quigngt to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the link, Don. On it the colors on the 2133a are very similar to my post. On my computer and my post, the top two are same intensity in color but mine display with a bit of reddish tint (hence purple as I was telling Peter). The bottom third stamp (light gray paper) and my left stamp are almost identical. Differences are easily attributable to differences in how each computer "sees" the colors. Interestingly, my center 2133a stamp and the right 05 Canoe are identical in paper color. The photos I took of the Pushcart and Canoe were shot under the same conditions, settings, place and time with the same UV lamp. For what its worth, my computer is MacBook and camera is iPhone.
Edited by quigngt - 10/25/2018 7:43 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Guatemala
1500 Posts
Posted 10/25/2018   7:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add quigngt to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You are correct, Peter, the color we see on our computers is not all that important. Correction to 2133a will is fixed.
Edited by quigngt - 10/25/2018 10:10 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1258 Posts
Posted 10/25/2018   10:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Under short UV, most U.S. stamps will glow a yellow green. Any purple that you see is the untagged portion of the stamp. If you check a block tagged stamp, you would ideally see a yellow-green rectangle in the center of the stamp while the borders, which are not tagged, appear purple. Note that a completely untagged stamp would not appear purple. It is the presence of the taggant on part of the stamp that creates the apparent purple.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2757 Posts
Posted 10/26/2018   12:22 am  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"both Canoe stamps are not green; they are purple as seen under my way long wave"

The green glow from tagging only shows under shortwave UV not longwave UV

The odd look pf your left Canoe is just a chemically messed up stamp, not a paper variety
Valued Member
United States
175 Posts
Posted 10/26/2018   2:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mstocky2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
LW UV is one of the key tools to differentiate paper types. LW is used to determine/distinguish the fluorescence of paper. Levels I have seen defined for grades of fluorescence of stamps are: Dead, Non-fluorescent (NF), Dull Fluorescent (DF), Low Fluorescent (LF), Medium Fluorescent (MF), High Fluorescent (HF) & Hi-brite. You can google paper fluorescence to find more info.

As far as the odd coloring on the left Canoe, a common cause of this liquid dish soap. These have chemical brighteners in them to make your dishes look brighter/cleaner. It doesn't take much just a small drop. If you buy those mixed packages of 300-500 some dealers sell, many of the stamps will show degrees of this. Adding a few drops of soap breaks the surface tension allowing the stamp to soak off quicker. In the modeling world they call this wet water.
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 736Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05