Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Future Of White Ace Albums?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Learn More...
6648 Posts
Posted 05/14/2019   08:15 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If there was value in the entire entity, it would have found a buyer as they were in the final years of existence. And since they flooded the market in the final throes, I doubt there is significant remaining inventory. I doubt the customer list is of much value.

So what is left to buy? There is probably some IP, there is probably some office furniture, there may be some fixtures (printing screens and hardware), there may be some software files. It is anyone's guess if the fixtures and software is viable moving forward.

So it may be that there is really nothing much of value left beyond the brand name and any copyrighted IP.

Anyone here wiling to invest their money in something like this?
Don
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
204 Posts
Posted 05/14/2019   10:40 am  Show Profile Check adcaplan's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add adcaplan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't understand why someone would want to restart it now. They did not have supplements last year, so people who collect new issues have all had to find alternative albums. Would a significant number of them now switch back?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2896 Posts
Posted 05/14/2019   1:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add apastuszak to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hopefully it's not Amos.....
Free Ukrainian Stamp Album and modified Mystic Stamp Album Pages - http://www.stamphacks.com

Ukrainian Philatelic and Numismatic Society Member #1212: http://www.upns.org
Eire Philatelic Association Member #2869: http://www.eirephilatelicassoc.org/
Pillar Of The Community
558 Posts
Posted 05/15/2019   01:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As a separate company company, I'd guess operating White Ace might not be that profitable. But absorbing White Ace pages, and so on, into an existing company (Amos/Scott, Subway, Mystic, etc) might be very workable. After all, you don't need a separate office, separate printing company, separate page designers, separate advertising budget, and so on. You already have all of that. If you absorbed WA page designs only, leaving out the First Day Cover business and other parts of the company they used to operate, it might be a small money maker to go with the other stamp products you're already selling. WA must have available their page designs to be reproduced by a new buyer, and how difficult could that be?

And White Ace didn't really duplicate other mainstream albums in the way Minkus duplicated Scott albums. I'm not sure WA albums competed directly against Scott, for example, so a company could sell both and appeal to different kinds of collectors. A collector who purchased White Ace albums might see them as different enough from other mainstream albums to prefer them due to their smaller page size, more colorful pages, better identifications of each stamp, different page layouts, and far fewer and more specialized countries. That difference might make them a worthwhile product to offer since a buyer who preferred WA pages wouldn't necessarily want Scott pages or other pages you offered.

When Amos absorbed Minkus albums, they kept selling Minkus binders and blank pages. But, as for albums, they kept only the Global albums in print (somewhat erratically) since they had a decent following and didn't really duplicate Scott's own International album which is fairly different. But they pretty much phased out all the old Minkus country albums which competed directly with Scott Specialty albums. If you see a product as being different enough, you might want to offer it.

I don't think it's out of the question at all.
Edited by DrewM - 05/15/2019 02:02 am
Valued Member
United States
68 Posts
Posted 05/15/2019   10:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BwanaBob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
DrewM - you and others have frequently make the observation that there shouldn't be separate spaces for setenant and the individuals that make up the setenant. Why do you think it makes no sense? There are many who collect both used and unused stamps and commingle them. To me if a stamp has a unique whole Scott number (unlettered) it deserves a space. Modern setenants aren't true setenants anyway; they are stamps that happen to lie next to each other and are not physically connected. I could see your point with regards to multidesign issues in booklet form - which incidentally I hate; I wish booklets were reserved for single design regular issue stamps only; but that's just me.
Pillar Of The Community
558 Posts
Posted 05/20/2019   01:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
BwanaBob, Just personal preference is why. I'm not trying to make a moral statement about right or wrong here, obviously. I just don't want to have to purchase two blocks of 4 or two strips of 8 or even two sheets of 16, and so on, to mount the entire se-tenant thing alongside all the separated singles. That seems silly to me. I just want to display one of each stamp -- plus maybe an occasional variety, maybe both used and mint, maybe a cover, and so on, entirely of my choice.

Are there other album makers that require mounting both singles and connected blocks, sheets, and so on? I don't think that's common.

One block of four can either be mounted attached or separately. Either way is fine with me, but don't require both ways. If WA did this for just a few stamps, that would be fine. But I think they do it for all connected stamps (trying to avoid "se-tenant" now!). I just don't see any reason to do that. Scandinavian albums require that you collect booklet stamps in pairs -- one with the imperf side on the left, and one with the imperf side on the right. Okay, I guess. But to me that's a bit silly. I just don't see where the imperf side is located as a real variety. Perfed vs. imperfed I do see as a variety. So there are other weird album policies besides White Ace's requirement to collect singles and blocks of four of many stamps.

One European album maker (can't remember which one) publishes an album with spaces for a used copy and a mint copy of every modern German stamp. Also fine, but not appealing to me. One of the other is what I collect, so that album I wouldn't want. But apparently some people like it. And you can buy their other German album with spaces for only one of each, their more popular album. White Ace didn't do that. There was no WA choice to collect blocks and singles -- OR just singles.

There are some times when I'd prefer having just one space for all connected stamps (but not singles), but other times I'd prefer separate spaces for every stamp. Separate spaces wins most of the time. That's what stamps are -- separate stamps, each different. What's the point of all these mini-sheets, blocks of four different stamps, and so on? Is it just because the USPS issued them that way? By that logic, every single small sheetlet would have to be collected as an intact sheet. That's how it was issued! But I'm not going to do that in a million years.

Can you imagine if WA required mounting entire connected sheets of all those modern state birds, state flags, and other sheets of 50 stamps? That would really be nuts. In fact, WA pages were much too small for that, and that's probably the only reason WA didn't try to force that on collectors. Well, maybe not -- but I bet they stayed up late a few nights trying to figure out a way to "make'" us collect that way:

"To fit these 50-stamp se-tenant sheets on our album's small pages, we'll just let the collector fold the state birds and state flags sheets in half. That'll work." Uh huh.

Either a block of four or four separate spaces for singles. But not both. Personal preference --plus this being the way it's usually done -- are my only reasons. Anyway that's how I see it.
Edited by DrewM - 05/20/2019 02:10 am
Valued Member
United States
68 Posts
Posted 05/21/2019   10:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BwanaBob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi DrewM - Actually WA wanted you to cut the dinosaur sheet in half and mount each half. I wasn't going to do that.
That said, the concept of singles/connected has always bothered me. WA at the end had many odd editorial policies. Where does one draw the line between a normal sheet with fancy selvage and an actual souvenir sheet? The Legends of Hollywood sheets come to mind, along with these occasional sheets honoring artists/photographers. Or the recent Santa sheetlet. The mind boggles.
If someone is truly picking up the WA gauntlet, I hope they stop separating regular issues from commemoratives and that idiotic policy of "if the design change is indistinguishable from the original, the new design design doesn't get represented".

I could argue about this endlessly. Scott/Amos are no angels either. There was some recent release (I can't recall at this moment) where there were four designs and each design also came in its own sheet. Visually (from the front) each design from the block was indistinguishable from its solo counterpart, but from the rear you could tell which was which by the backing paper. So I would maintain they are two distinct stamps, but Scott said its only one stamp.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2346 Posts
Posted 05/21/2019   11:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Traditional albums often create boundaries for collectors since they define a scope that is determined by various factors. There are many varieties out there that do not find a home in a collection.

Again this is where I think a digital method could be better. An album maker can make more than one version in PDF and then you choose with page to use rather than one size fits all.
Al
Learn More...
6648 Posts
Posted 05/21/2019   11:19 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I view albums as a foundation to be built upon whether they are blank canvases (my own pages) or paint-by-number (preprinted albums); either can easily be customized to something quite interesting.
Don
Valued Member
United States
403 Posts
Posted 05/21/2019   2:26 pm  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
United States
68 Posts
Posted 05/22/2019   10:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BwanaBob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Big question is will they continue the same editorial policies or shake things up. Like the forementioned battle over separate spaces for setenants, separation of regular issue stamps from commemoratives. And how about (probably never happen) licensing Scott catalogue numbers?
Valued Member
United States
39 Posts
Posted 05/22/2019   8:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dbuss to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
RE DrewM's question:

"Are there other album makers that require mounting both singles and connected blocks, sheets, and so on? I don't think that's common."

The answer is YES. The H.E. Harris Liberty album has been doing this for years. It is one of the reasons why I bought it for my U.S. used collection. For example, I enjoy looking for both canceled se-tenant blocks as well as the singles. The Harris album has room for both. The new Scott U.S. singles album doesn't seem like such a bid deal to Harris Liberty users.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2933 Posts
Posted 05/22/2019   9:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Alco distributes coin supplies and publications. I wonder how this will work.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1718 Posts
Posted 05/27/2019   09:39 am  Show Profile Check Stamps1962's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Stamps1962 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I do not expect much from Alco. What will happen is anyone's guess but my money is on them using the publication rights to do print on demands for individual collectors who want them; maybe a scaled down version of ongoing pages for US stamps. I just don't see them going whole hog on this.
Pillar Of The Community
558 Posts
Posted 05/30/2019   04:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, Alco looks to be a coin supply company now adding some stamp collecting materials to its line of products. That could work, but only if they hire some stamp people. That would have to include page designers, people familiar with catalogue polices, and so on. I'd also guess they'll just continue doing whatever White Ace did before -- since they won't know much about alternatives. But you never know.

Maybe now I can get my 2014 United Nations supplement that White Ace ran out of at the end there. I doubt I'll be buying any more White Ace pages since I bought so many in their "final" sale that now turns out not to have been so final. But maybe.

As for blocks and singles, blocks without singles, singles without blocks, sheets intact, sheets separated, my earlier comments were about what I prefer only. What other collectors do is perfectly fine with me. In all my albums, if I don't like the publisher's way of mounting stamps, I just use a blank page and do it my way.

Another oddity is page layouts which require a strip of stamps to be mounted diagonally. So bizarre. Or when a strip of vertical stamps is so long it has to be mounted with all the stamps horizontal. Someone is not thinking very clearly. See those perforations? Those stamps can all be separated and mounted separately. Now there's a clever idea.

As for "blank pages" vs. "paint by number," keep in mind some of us collect a lot of countries. I have albums for over 50 different countries that I collect (What can I say? I'm obsessed). Plus a Scott International album. There is just no way I could make my own pages for that many albums -- or store the number of worldwide volumes of Steiner pages that would require. So I use mostly pre-printed albums. Adding blank pages solves any problems. Not all who don't design their own pages do so out of lack of creativity.
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.98 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05