Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Future Of White Ace Albums?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5
Pillar Of The Community
699 Posts
Posted 09/19/2019   12:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"There was some recent release (I can't recall at this moment) where there were four designs and each design also came in its own sheet. Visually (from the front) each design from the block was indistinguishable from its solo counterpart, but from the rear you could tell which was which by the backing paper. So I would maintain they are two distinct stamps, but Scott said its only one stamp."

I guess I have to differ (again). I'd call two stamps that were identical from the front -- you know, the part of the stamp we collect -- identical. I don't collect the back of stamps, one reason I've never been enamored of the whole "never hinged" obsession. I'll take good-looking hinged stamps all day every day. And if the backing paper varies, well, it's supposed to be removed under normal use so that means the stamps are, in fact, identical. One exception might be if you display your stamps backwards, showing the backs of the stamps. No one does that, do they?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by DrewM - 09/19/2019 12:04 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2646 Posts
Posted 09/19/2019   06:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
People do not just collect designs. Some collect production varieties of stamps so many differences may not be seen from front, back, or side. I collect tagging varieties, some collect gum type varieties, etc. The diversity means there will be differring methods but neither is better or worse.
Al
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4010 Posts
Posted 09/19/2019   07:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you use the "identical" argument it rules out a whole bunch of stamps that have as their difference watermarks. No?
Valued Member
United States
74 Posts
Posted 01/20/2020   09:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BwanaBob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
sorry wrong thread
Edited by BwanaBob - 01/20/2020 10:21 am
Valued Member
United States
74 Posts
Posted 01/20/2020   09:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BwanaBob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
sorry wrong thread
Edited by BwanaBob - 01/20/2020 10:21 am
Valued Member
United States
27 Posts
Posted 01/21/2020   11:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldmanriver to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Has anyone had any luck scanning White Ace blank pages? I have a couple of full packs of Vatican City blank pages, never used. Thought the I'd try and scan one of the blanks and use it as a template for creating a custom page. I scanned it at 2400 dpi and it didn't turn out good at all. Problem I ran into as with the titles at the top of the page. Some of the co!it's scanned while others didn't show up. Yellow was particularly bad. So I tried just doing a straight copy on a co!or copier. Same results. Got desperate ad took a blank page to a local printer. Got the same results. Yes, you could re-draw the artwork back in I suppose but that is more work than I want to do. By the way, I also got the same results with trying to scan or copy a White Ace blank Birds on Stamps page as well. Must be something in the way they print pages that they won't scan or copy correctly. Not sure what is causing that to happen. Anyone else have any luck scanning or copying White Ace pages?
Pillar Of The Community
699 Posts
Posted 01/22/2020   11:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It seems to me that inherent qualities like tagging, watermarks, etc. that cannot be removed from stamps make for legitimate varieties in the same way that perforation, overprints, and color differences do. You can see them, so the stamp is different. It's the back of the stamp I'm talking about. That backs of stamps are an interest of so many collectors has always surprised me. I don't mean damage. Thins or pinholes or other damage affects the entire stamp, not just the back. Even gum missing from the back of a stamp (so not "mint") is of little interest to me -- at least for 19th century stamps. And most collectors agree since stamps without gum continue to sell very well. Consider this: If the gum on the back was originally clear, but later it was slightly less clear with just a tiny bit of yellow in it, would you consider that a collectible variety? Perhaps, but then shouldn't you at least mount those stamps backwards to show the difference? That does seem a little silly, I'm sure you'd agree.

Related to this is the whole MNH obsession that exists today. This got ginned up by certain dealers in the period when stamp prices were rising quickly c. 1970s as yet another way to sell even more expensive stamps. To me, it's up there with "slabbing," entombing a stamp forever in plastic to keep it "perfect". That originated with coins and baseball cards. These were basically investment-related schemes by some dealers that had little to do with collecting stamps. Does anyone actually collect "slabbed" stamps?. The idea that a MNH stamp is "purer," more untouched, than a mere MH stamp allows it to be sold for more money, often double or triple the price of the MH stamp. That seems absurd. That so many collectors jumped on this bandwagon, as I said, has always surprised me. But live and let live -- if collectors like spending more money for perfect backs of stamps, then go right ahead -- plus I get to buy all those "mint hinged" stamps no one wants. Unless the MNH fixation goes away someday, it's true those stamps will also sell for higher prices, but as a reason to buy them in the first place that is tautological. "Pay more so you can sell for more" is not a very good investment approach.

But back to the backs of stamps: Besides the back of stamps not being visible, once the backing paper is removed, is that stamp still a variety? I don't think it is. So it depends on the backing paper. If you collect with the backing paper still on the stamp, do you then display the stamps backwards to show their differences? Belgian stamps often had tabs on them ("Don't Deliver on Sunday," advertisements, and so on, so collecting those stamps -- with tabs intact -- makes for a variety just like perfins, color varieties, and other differences do . But you can see all those things. You can't see the backing paper. You could always remove the different types of backing paper from your stamps and display them in mounts on your album pages. I'm kidding. No one would seriously do this any more than they'd mount their backing paper stamps backwards. This is what makes me think these "varieties" don't really matter.
Edited by DrewM - 01/22/2020 11:10 pm
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05