Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Variety Of US Revenue And Postage Stamp Illegal/Improper Usages

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 730Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5623 Posts
Posted 11/04/2018   7:16 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add revenuecollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
As I've been putting together the material I'm taking to Chicagopex in 2 weeks, I've run across a number of illegal usages that I had forgotten I'd purchased, or simply hadn't gotten around to imaging yet.

Starting with the postage stamps used as revenues:

1. Horizontal pair of Scott #65 on 1864 West Virginia sale of land.

2. Combination of 2-cent Black Jack and R19b 3c Telegraph part perf paying 5 cents tax. Too bad it's not the complete document.

3. 2-cent Horse and Rider on an 1869 receipt.

4. July 27, 1898 check from Ashland, Oregon.

5. Vertical pair of 1-cent Franklins (Scott #279) on a July 7, 1898 bank check.

6. Lovely second day of tax illegal usage from Proctorville, Vermont.

7. Broken series of 5 checks from Cambridgeport, Massachussetts, all with illegal usages.

And now the revenue stamps used illegally as postage.

8. R6c used as postage on cover from Syracuse, New York, caught and postage due assessed. Sadly, the stamp is mangled. Does anyone know when this cancel type was used? I don't know whether this is an in-period or out-of-period usage for this revenue.

9. R15c used for postage on an 1892 Chicago cover, used well out of period.

10. Munched 2-cent Battleship on an 1899 advertising cover.

11. And another on a November 1898 cover from Bristol, PA.

12. Yet another on a slightly out-of-period 1903 cover from Ravenswood, West Virginia.

13. 2-cent Proprietary battleship on 1898 RPO cover. Proprietary battleships used illegally as postage are FAR less common than documentary battleships.

14. 1-cent Proprietary of 1919 (Scott #RB65) on Octobr 1919 cover from Santa Cruz, not caught by USPS.

15. Another RB65 used well out of period on 1940 cover, caught by USPS. Combination of stamps looks clearly philatelic. Interesting 'void' stamp right next to the improper stamp.

16. R155 used well out of period on 1918 international Registered Mail cover to Toronto. Combination of stamps appears philatelic, despite it appearing to be commercial correspondence. Still, aesthetically combination of stamps and markings.

17. 2-cent battleship documentary on a lovely 1898 advertising cover with hammered cancel.

And lastly:

18. One that I paid dearly for, at over twice high estimate from the recent Schuyler Rumsey auction, but one I just had to have, as it fits with several others I have. Horizontal pair of 1-cent battleship documentaries with perfectly placed crisply struck cancel, on an all-over flag Spanish American War patriotic cover.

Examples of my other Spanish American War patriotic revenue items:

http://goscf.com/t/54878

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
8416 Posts
Posted 11/04/2018   8:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't understand the first one at all. Why would there be six cents on a conveyance? Tax rate was 50 cents per $500, so it should have been $2 tax.
The void marking on #15 is because the stamp had no use in any case. Three cents postage in 1940; nice auxiliary markings though.
#16 appears to have to have been a triple weight cover for the rate to make sense. The cover does have the look of such a usage.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
4728 Posts
Posted 11/04/2018   8:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
#15 was originally mailed with 2 cent red and 1 cent proprietary, getting the handstamp cancel dated Feb 7.
The revenue marked void and the letter held for 1 cent due.
1 cent green stamp then applied over the due notice and run through a canceling machine dated Feb 8.
Yes, a 3 cent letter rate.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8416 Posts
Posted 11/04/2018   8:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You are right, I missed the second date.
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 730Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2023 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.15 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05