Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

The Best Day I've Ever Had Buying Stock Transfer Stamps On Ebay

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 1,278Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1736 Posts
Posted 11/04/2018   9:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add James Drummond to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
A long, long time ago, in a country far, far away (well, actually it was October 24, 2018 at 10:30 in the morning at my desk at work), I happened to open up my web browser and dig into the new stamp offerings at the ol' 'bay, as I am wont to do.

Amid all of the typical detritus and flotsam that perpetually floats around the U. S. revenue section, there were brand new listings of what appeared to be entire pages from a huge revenue collection.

These pages specifically included the Documentary "reds" and the Stock Transfer "greens," two revenue stamp areas that are very difficult to complete in any reasonable way.

A great many of these particular stamps are extremely scarce or rare, with some being known in only one or two copies.

Basically, unless you're quite wealthy, there is very little chance of getting close to 90 per cent completeness in these two areas, let alone completing them.

I opened the first lot that I saw that looked interesting, and I was at first speechless.

I reached for an older copy of the Scott Specialized catalog that I keep by my desk, and began to look up the stamps shown in the listing. As the catalog value rapidly surpassed the "buy it now" price by many hundreds of dollars, I happily punched the buy button.

I wasn't sure if I already had one or more of the stamps, but I can recognize a good deal when I see one.

"We're sorry but that item is no longer available." Arrgh! Someone else was also finding these lots!

So I nudged my office door closed, and I decided that I guess that Jim isn't taking any calls for a while.

Very, very quickly I opened every lot that was being listed by this particular seller.

The seller was clearly a long-time stamp and coin dealer, but for some inexplicable reason he had decided to sell each page from this huge revenue collection for a certain amount per page, despite what stamps were included on the page.

Whether he was too busy to look up the stamps or he just didn't care about revenues, I don't know.

Some pages of course came nowhere near his "buy it now" price as far as their cumulative catalog values.

But other pages far, far exceeded the buy price. And that's what I focused on.

After a spectacular, although mostly breathless, ten minutes, I would up having won just four of these pages.

The rest were either bought by some other lucky collector or dealer just before I got to them, or the stamps were just not worth what the seller was asking for the page.

The following is a summary of what I won, along with the stamps' current Scott catalog value, and some highlights from each lot.

RD159 (cut cancel) catalog $850

RD162 (cut cancel) catalog $500

The total catalog value for the rest of the stamps on this page is $171.50.

RD256 (cut cancel) Catalog $400

RD258 (cut cancel) catalog $400

RD259 (cut cancel, crease) catalog $600

The total catalog value for the rest of the stamps on this page is $379.55.

RD306 (cut cancel) catalog $175

RD311 (cut cancel) catalog $675 (in italics)

The total catalog value for the rest of the stamps on this page is $566.20.

RD334 (cut cancel, crease, thin) catalog $160

RD337 (cut cancel, thin) catalog $900

RD338 (cut cancel) catalog $125

The total catalog value for the rest of the stamps on this page is $421.55.

In the end, I picked up four lots of a large number of scarce Stock Transfer stamps, whose grand total catalog value is $4,802.30.

Not every stamp was fault-free of course, and I'm not normally overly fond of cut or perfin cancels, but these particular stamps are almost always only known as being canceled by these two methods.

For those that are awaiting the punchline of this posting, scroll down to see what I paid for each of the four lots (this amount included shipping).

Jim

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
4126 Posts
Posted 11/04/2018   9:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yep, I love those finds. Congrats.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1376 Posts
Posted 11/04/2018   9:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice Jim! And no doubt the company got more than a days work out of you after that exhilarating start to your morning. Talk about grinning from ear to ear like a cheshire cat.

Mike
Edited by No1philatelist - 11/04/2018 9:35 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8443 Posts
Posted 11/04/2018   9:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's a good find, obviously you saw them right after they were put up because these would not have lasted long.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1189 Posts
Posted 11/04/2018   10:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stampman2002 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
All I can say is "Wow!!!!!!"
Valued Member
United States
89 Posts
Posted 11/04/2018   10:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txphl to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I love reading these stories. Jim, you REALLY need to TM this or I'm going to start using it:

Quote:
Amid all of the typical detritus and flotsam...
Hmm, that'd be an amazing new topic 'Show us today's detritus and flotsam on <website>...'

Although for a lot of postings, it's kind of implied... I share Stampman2002's feelings: WOW.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1479 Posts
Posted 11/05/2018   12:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
WOO HOO! Nice score, Jim. Serial #0009 on that RD337 is just amazing.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
169 Posts
Posted 11/05/2018   04:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add crispinhj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Better to be lucky than rich" is what my Dad always used to say. Well done for spotting these, knowing what they were and then snagging them!
Valued Member
United States
218 Posts
Posted 11/05/2018   07:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pcerio to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I enjoy working on the "reds" and "greens" as well. Very nice finds.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
700 Posts
Posted 11/05/2018   11:55 am  Show Profile Check 1typesetter's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1typesetter to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I saw these and didn't even pay them a second thought since I focus on mint copies when I'm looking for them. I guess I'm needing to pay more attention from now on.

Nice scores!!!!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5634 Posts
Posted 11/05/2018   8:02 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well done. Right place at the right time. Obviously I never saw them.
Valued Member
United States
85 Posts
Posted 11/05/2018   10:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add displaced_hippie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Amazing! Those are a treat to see, I didn't dig that deep in the Stock Transfers and realize the values went so high.
Valued Member
United States
218 Posts
Posted 11/06/2018   1:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pcerio to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That seller picked up an amazing revenue collection. I just saw some of what's still available, and bought a few pages of the "reds".
Edited by pcerio - 11/06/2018 1:33 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 1,278Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2023 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05