Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Envelope 1 Cent Franklin 1905 Predates Release Date?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 1,315Next Topic  
Valued Member
131 Posts
Posted 11/05/2018   6:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add richar babcock to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I dont no much about these, Could use some help on date die types Thank you
Send note to Staff
Edited by richar babcock - 11/05/2018 6:56 pm

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
616 Posts
Posted 11/05/2018   7:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ThomasGalloway to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Could use some help on date die types . . . "

Are you asking for the die type of the embossed stamp, or the type of the cancellation die?

It looks to me like a die 2 stamp.

Others can chime in on the cancellation type.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2759 Posts
Posted 11/05/2018   7:59 pm  Show Profile Check Battlestamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Battlestamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's a Barry straight-line machine cancel - common.
Valued Member
131 Posts
Posted 11/05/2018   8:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add richar babcock to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
the date predates the 1 cent Franklin release date of 1907.Or was it released earlier?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
616 Posts
Posted 11/06/2018   08:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ThomasGalloway to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm having trouble determining the year in the date. What do others think it is?

The Mercantile Corporation took over the job as envelope contractor to the USPOD in early 1907.

Mr. Babcock: can you tell us the watermark please?
Pillar Of The Community
4590 Posts
Posted 11/06/2018   10:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bangor Maine used this Barry machine cancel into 1909 with many similar town dies. This town die appears to match die "Lg" used in 1908. See Morris & Payne's "The Barry Story", vol 3, page 38, and compare the R at the end of Bangor. I vote for a 1908 use.
Valued Member
131 Posts
Posted 11/06/2018   5:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add richar babcock to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
watermark is a large double lined U.S 60j.Have compared Rs in Bangor with one on eBay . Back line of my R is thin and tapers down and centre of my r is thin. comma after R, eBay 1908 back line of R is thick and same size and the way down, center of R thick. I will add high square back type cover and never sealed glue not used to seal flap
Edited by richar babcock - 11/06/2018 6:31 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 1,315Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05