Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ohio Prepaid Sales Tax Proofs?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 972Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1392 Posts
Posted 11/06/2018   02:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have probably had these for close to 40 years and totally forgot about them until I came across them today, looking for something else. This seems like a good place to find out what they really are.

The tax stamps without serial numbers were represented as "proofs" and the others as "color varieties". I have no idea whether this is accurate, but I haven't seen multiples or a full pane like this elsewhere.

Can anyone shed light on these? Is there much of a market for them?

Send note to Staff
Edited by GregAlex - 11/06/2018 02:13 am

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1408 Posts
Posted 11/06/2018   09:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I read an article about them sometime ago. I recall that they are not stamps, per se, but receipts. The vendor would hand the receipt to the customer to show the sales tax was paid.

Robert
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1704 Posts
Posted 11/06/2018   10:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Greg,

The answers that you seek probably are contained in this book:

(sorry I don't have a copy of it myself).

Jim
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1392 Posts
Posted 11/06/2018   12:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, that book isn't even in the APS Research Library.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2480 Posts
Posted 11/08/2018   12:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tomiseksj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You can also read about them in the below text (which is in the APRL's holdings).

United States
1 Posts
Posted 12/14/2018   11:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mike13 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
These are regular Ohio Sales Tax stamps. They were used to verify that the taxes were collected from about 1934 until the 60's. The ones you have above are pairs that were cut from strips, which were of course cut from sheets. These are not proofs. All of these were made by the Columbian Bank Note Company. The value for the ones you have shown are about $1 to $10. Hope this helps. If you wan tot know anything else, just ask. Thanks,Mike.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1392 Posts
Posted 12/16/2018   4:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the info, Mike! It would be interesting to see what a full sheet looks like.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 972Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05