Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

How should I use the catalogues?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author  Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Israel
396 Posts
Posted 11/07/2018   07:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Rob Roy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have Scott and SG in PDF form.
How do I search for a stamp that I want to identify?
Everyone here is so quick to find stamps and pass out the information about them. I don't know how.

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
229 Posts
Posted 11/07/2018   08:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add svensson to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In general terms, you need to identify the country/issuing authority first. That's usually not too difficult once you get used to what country names are in the native language. Then its try to determine the rough "era" the stamp was issued and look for a corresponding image in the catalogue. I don't collect anything after the WW2 era so it's relatively easy to find the correct general catalogue number. Of course, then you have to deal with all the details to identify it correctly...perforations, watermarks, color variations, varnish bars, etc. Once you get the right country, you should be able to find a picture to make a start.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Israel
396 Posts
Posted 11/07/2018   08:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rob Roy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One of my main weak spots is Chinese stamps. I recognize the Kanji writing, but then finding where to look (Empire, Taiwan, P.R., provinces, regions, non-postal) is a dead end for me.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
24177 Posts
Posted 11/07/2018   08:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Establish the country first,
Go to the country,
Establish the cynosure of the design (Example pic shows Queen and Duke of Edinburgh)

CTRL F

Type in suitable hints, "duke" "visit" the value, the colour if unusual.
etc&etc
After a while you get to know the best text strings to try.
That works with any searchable text page on the web.
Your *.pdf may have a search box at the top of page.
If you get a toughie, just scan the stamp, and search via Google images.

If you have a China overprint, say a $5 on $20 red, type in "on $20" in the search box, and hit enter, and it should find the next example, until you hit your stamp.

Edited by rod222 - 11/07/2018 08:56 am
Valued Member
India
11 Posts
Posted 11/07/2018   09:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add youngstampguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,
Would you mind telling me from where did you buy the SG pdf catalogue please?
Valued Member
Israel
396 Posts
Posted 11/07/2018   1:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rob Roy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3103 Posts
Posted 11/07/2018   2:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Are these PDF copies legal?
Valued Member
Canada
102 Posts
Posted 11/07/2018   2:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
These are extremely unlikely to be legally licensed by Scott/SG - given the cheapness and location of the seller in Russia. There are many places to find pirated scans of reference works for download on the internet - for a price of course.
Valued Member
Israel
396 Posts
Posted 11/07/2018   4:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rob Roy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Redwoodrandy - no seller on eBay will come forth and say that he's selling pirated copies.
On the other hand, if someone bought a newer version, wants to sell the old one, and wants to save on shipment, he might use this way of selling.
Valued Member
145 Posts
Posted 11/09/2018   12:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add soccerfan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not surprised with the return policy: "Seller does not accept returns."
Valued Member
India
11 Posts
Posted 11/09/2018   05:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add youngstampguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Seems like he has got access to it from a friend working in Scott/ SG ? Or he has bought it for his use and side by side he is selling a copy to earn the money back.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1966 Posts
Posted 11/09/2018   07:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am not surprised some sellers of digital material do not allow returns. Keeps too many from making a copy and then asking for refund. I think they should offer media exchanges.
Al
Valued Member
145 Posts
Posted Yesterday   4:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add soccerfan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
An assorted pack of 100 different stamps from one country became easier when the countries decided to start putting years on their stamps.
   Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2018 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05