Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

I'm Trailer Trash... And I Have The License To Prove It!

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 1,681Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4905 Posts
Posted 11/10/2018   09:46 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add revenuecollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Extending my foray into 20th century revenues, I'd been keeping an eye out for a reasonably-priced example of Scott #RVT2, the $1 trailer permit stamp. The $1 stamp is moderately scarce, valued at $650 on license. The 50-cent stamp is considerably more scarce, appearing very infrequently on the market, so I didn't even consider that one.

So the combination of a (comparably) reasonable price and a 10% eBay coupon pushed me over the edge.

This particular example is on a license for the Grand Canyon National Park. It has a small facial scuff at lower left, but has very nice centering for the type.

Stamps were issued in booklets of five 2x5 stamp panes, so all stamps have at least one straight edge. This stamp was obviously a corner position.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
4047 Posts
Posted 11/10/2018   12:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A nice bit of Americana, Dan.

Q/ Anybody wanna identify the make'n'model of the trailer? Or, is it iconic?

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4905 Posts
Posted 11/10/2018   12:26 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My Google-fu comes up empty in terms of a close match, so my guess is iconic.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4047 Posts
Posted 11/10/2018   12:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What we need here are circa-1940 issues of Boy's Life, et al.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
527 Posts
Posted 11/10/2018   8:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 91stang to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome!
One of my most favorite movies:

'The long long trailer' Lucille ball, Desi Arnes..Look just like the one in the movie--
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4768 Posts
Posted 11/10/2018   8:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
United States
238 Posts
Posted 11/10/2018   10:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add postagedueguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A collector's item if I ever saw one!
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
371 Posts
Posted 11/11/2018   12:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mml1942 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Is that your stamp room?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6941 Posts
Posted 11/11/2018   01:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Used, with a manuscript cancel.
Valued Member
United States
171 Posts
Posted 12/16/2018   06:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add therevenueman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just of note, this is one of several permits from the same families road trip, you can tell from the user license plate that is recorded on license form. In this case Colo 110-500, they also visited the Larsen Volcanic National Park on 7/25/41. this license is currently for sale on eBay. The rare RVT 1 also exists for this road trip.

Rear of the 50cent from the same road trip

front of the license

Edited by therevenueman - 12/16/2018 7:41 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
573 Posts
Posted 12/16/2018   07:43 am  Show Profile Check 1typesetter's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1typesetter to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I believe the license tag is Ala 110-500. Anybody second the motion?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4047 Posts
Posted 12/16/2018   10:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There I was, staring at "Ala 98-248", wondering if you'd been hitting the egg nog a little early.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Valued Member
United States
40 Posts
Posted 12/16/2018   1:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Nick Saban to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm a Alabama Law man, do you want me to try and run that tag and see who it is registered to?
United States
2 Posts
Posted 05/29/2020   10:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rilke to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Your revenue stamps have a cool history.
They are from a scrapbook from Dr Norman Willard Holman Sr (1909-2002) of Ozark Alabama.
He sent away for plans for a 1935 Vintage Airstream trailer and built it himself.
His trailer is considered the oldest surviving Airstream.
His son Norman Jr also traveled with it and took it to camper shows.

United States
2 Posts
Posted 05/29/2020   10:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rilke to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
FYI

Valued Member
United States
53 Posts
Posted 05/30/2020   07:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gizzmo4222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice item. !! I'm still looking for a nice 50 cent issue. Last one I saw went for about $2000 at auction plus the juice. They are really had to find in any condition.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 1,681Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.39 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05