Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

US Soldiers In World War I

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
818 Posts
Posted 11/11/2018   3:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I posted another thread elsewhere on a different WWI topic (http://goscf.com/t/64509), but I thought I'd start a thread on Americans in the war. I've often wondered about the doughboy in this RPPC; there's nothing on the back to identify him.

Send note to Staff
Edited by GregAlex - 11/11/2018 4:02 pm

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1406 Posts
Posted 11/11/2018   5:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The last post card is postmarked from Camp Greene near Charlotte, opened 7/20/27 and closed 6/30/19. Those dates may not coincide with the special cancels used there.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
818 Posts
Posted 11/11/2018   8:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I thought it was interesting that the year slug was inserted upside-down. I don't know whether that adds any premium as an error.
Pillar Of The Community
631 Posts
Posted 11/11/2018   9:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Glenn Estus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Many future officers were trained in Plattsburg NY. Here's a postcard from the "CAMP OF INSTRUCTION" in Plattsburg. The "Plattsburg idea" was the forerunner of the modern day ROTC.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1406 Posts
Posted 11/11/2018   10:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
GregAlex, upside down elements in machine cancel dials are common enough, therefore no premium. Similarly for "6"s used as "9"s, etc.
Valued Member
United States
223 Posts
Posted 11/13/2018   6:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MeadowviewCollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I found one among my family's pictures--luckily the man's name was written on the back. I later learned he was a neighbor to my great-grandparents.

Unfortunately, I didn't scan it at the time I found it several months back and now I'm not sure where I placed it at.

-MV
Pillar Of The Community
United States
818 Posts
Posted 04/28/2019   3:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I picked this up last weekend. These appear to be U.S. officers, but I can't sleuth out any more details. It's a RPPC with nothing on the back.

Valued Member
United States
404 Posts
Posted 04/28/2019   11:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add modernstamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice historical cards!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1406 Posts
Posted 04/29/2019   12:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Card above: Probably not officers or at least, not all are. For one, the soldier second from left has corporal stripes on his shoulders. His hat also looks to have a taller crown than the rest.
Valued Member
United States
116 Posts
Posted 04/29/2019   1:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BFRomeos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My grandfather in-law was Private Bernard Burch of Wadena, Minnesota. He is seen at age 30 in this postcard image from 1919, fourth from the left of the first standing row.

These are the Headquarters Company band of the 53rd Infantry Regiment, Sixth Infantry Division, U.S. Army American Expeditionary Force. Each man was awarded a battle ribbon for the Meuse-Argonne offensive. Bernie was a snare drummer, but like the other bandsmen, he became a stretcher bearer during battles. According to the reverse of the card, the image was taken in Cauterets, France, in the Pyrenees, close to France's border with Spain.

Bernie and the boys toured France while awaiting their turn for passage home on the SS Leviathan. Bernie passed away in 1985.
Edited by BFRomeos - 04/29/2019 1:27 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05