Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need Help Finding Owner Of Stolen Stamp Collection

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 3,680Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
3 Posts
Posted 11/12/2018   5:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add jjett84724 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all. I'm hoping your community can help. My name is Jesse Williams. I'm a trooper with the Utah Highway Patrol. Recently, I arrested some people with a huge stamp collection. I'd estimate 10,000 plus stamps in albums. The stamps look like they are collectible to my untrained eyes. I believe they came out of southern California or Nevada because of other documentation found in the car. These books of stamps, coin collections, sports trading cards, and postcards from the 1960's and 1950's are stolen from someone. If any of you can help, I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks,
Jesse Williams
UHP 404
jessewilliams@utah.gov
*** Private information removed by Staff. Please do not post your address/email/phone number etc. ***
*** Edited by Bobby - Given the importance here I've put back the email address ***
Send note to Staff
Edited by jjett84724 - 11/12/2018 5:49 pm

Learn More...
8788 Posts
Posted 11/12/2018   6:20 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome.
If anyone here has any information please post it here or contact me off-board.
Don
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
131 Posts
Posted 11/12/2018   7:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add richar babcock to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would also post this on Richard Frajola stamp board of Philatelics. Google it. They have experts from around the world and have tracked down missing stamps before.
Valued Member
United States
480 Posts
Posted 11/12/2018   10:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add m and m to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
you should also contact the American Philatelic Society stamp theft committee. stamptheft@stamps.org
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1435 Posts
Posted 11/12/2018   11:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This could include Dave Cobb's material which was stolen in Las Vegas. I left a VM with Dave to alert him.
Chris
Edited by cjpalermo1964 - 11/12/2018 11:09 pm
United States
2 Posts
Posted 11/13/2018   12:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dcobb0530 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Hi, my name is Dave Cobb of Newport Harbor Stamp Co. in Newport Beach, CA.
In Dec 2016, after leaving a coin & stamp show in Las Vegas, NV., my vehicle was broken into while stopped in Henderson, NV. Approx. 90% of my stamp inventory was stolen, equaling over 1 million dollars. I'd be happy to discuss this with you further, possibly look at pictures of the stamps, and help you identify what you have if it is my material. Thank you for posting this to get the word out.

Sincerely,
Dave Cobb
***email address removed***
Valued Member
United States
267 Posts
Posted 11/13/2018   12:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add craigk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dave Cobb - The Utah Highway Patrol has a website with contact info.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3639 Posts
Posted 11/13/2018   10:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Something smells fishy about this inquiry. I hope it ends well, but it seems an odd way to contact the owner of the goods.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 11/13/2018   10:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And how would you go about finding the owner of, say, a dozen Tiffany lamps?

If you read the story post facto - Headline News: Clever Cop Finds Owner of Lost Specialized Asset - you'd nod your head in approval, right?

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Valued Member
United States
267 Posts
Posted 11/13/2018   11:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add craigk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yep. Jesse Williams is a bona fide UHP Trooper with a LinkedIn page, as well as a long list of Googled highway arrests-

"A Las Vegas man is in jail following a routine traffic stop Tuesday that led authorities to find two trap doors inside a vehicle allegedly containing 50 pounds of methamphetamine.

Ramirez was pulled over by a Utah Highway Patrol Trooper at about 4:30 a.m.

"I ran the license plate on the vehicle and it did not return to any vehicle," Trooper Jesse Williams wrote in the probable cause statement.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5045 Posts
Posted 11/13/2018   11:56 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Also, even though it was redacted by moderators, the OP gave a utah.gov email addresses, which adds credence.
Valued Member
213 Posts
Posted 11/13/2018   2:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AJ Valente to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very, very fortunate.

Stamps are hard to fence, and what the thieves do with stolen merchandise can be problematic.

I had a very good friend who had his house broken in to, and the thieves removed the stamp safe. Not long after a stamp dealer was approached and recognized some of the material. Police were called and thieves caught. Unfortunately, they no longer had the material because after the dealer declined their offer the collection went into the dumpster.

My friend said, it was amazing since one of his prime stamp albums was sitting on top of the safe (waiting to be put away), and the thieves just threw it aside.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 11/13/2018   5:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What also adds credence is that, unlike impersonating a friendly stamp dealer, impersonating a cop comes with criminal penalties.

Even on the internet.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3639 Posts
Posted 11/13/2018   11:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm glad I stand corrected. There are so many scams out there that I am always cautious about giving out information on anything (name, location, what I may have dealt with in the past, etc.)
United States
2 Posts
Posted 11/14/2018   12:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dcobb0530 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for allowing his email address to be shown. Will reach out.
United States
3 Posts
Posted 11/14/2018   5:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jjett84724 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dave, I tried to send you my phone number and it says I'm too new to do that. Could you send me a private message or message me your contact information?

Thanks
Jesse
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 3,680Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.81 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05