Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Bogus Used For 50 Cent Stamp

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4489 Posts
Posted 04/18/2019   10:16 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don't get me started. It's absolutely sickening that the auction house is trying to pass these off as real bisects. And no, there's no possibility that he doesn't know what these actually are.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5891 Posts
Posted 04/18/2019   9:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
These were written about in the American Revenuer back in the 70's when the owner of the auction house was a show dealer. Plenty of other landmines there too, as usual.
Valued Member
United States
450 Posts
Posted 04/19/2019   09:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add modernstamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting. Thanks for sharing.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5891 Posts
Posted 05/18/2019   6:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Lot 748 sold for $350!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope it's on extension. Lot 751 brought $270!!!!!!!! Not bad for fakes.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4489 Posts
Posted 05/18/2019   7:22 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, those results were nuts.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5891 Posts
Posted 05/18/2019   7:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It was the descriptions, which were written in such a way as to give the impression that they were genuine.

Both description's the same. "50c Blue Used Bisect as 25c, Tied on 1867 Warehouse Entry document, the stamp is handstamped "Used For 50 Cent Stamp", most unusual, unlisted in Scott but other 50c bisects catalog at $350.00"
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4489 Posts
Posted 05/18/2019   7:39 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And this surprises you, given the auctioneer's well-established track record of selling blatantly bogus material as genuine?

Bogus bisects, bogus imperfs, bogus part perfs, bogus silk papers, manufactured "census" numbers... anything in the name of profit.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5891 Posts
Posted 05/18/2019   7:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You already know that it does not surprise me in the least. But I wanted the description available, since we know the sale will almost certainly be taken down before Monday.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4489 Posts
Posted 05/18/2019   8:05 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have the revenue section of the auction archived, as I did with both previous John Lewis auctions.

Not to derail the thread, but it's at least somewhat on topic:

I did find out something interesting though: the decision to delete Aldrich auctions from SAN, as well as Apfelbaum, Downeast, Vance, etc. after a period of time, is in fact NOT made by the individual auction houses as I had always assumed. In a discussion with Tom Droege, he revealed that this decision is his. It has nothing to do with the amount the auction houses pay him either. He's just always felt that only the high-profile auction house auctions are worth retaining browsable listings long-term.

This surprised me greatly, and I explained to him at length why I felt this was a bad decision on his part. He retains all of the individual lots in the SAN searchable database, but that information is now gated behind a paywall, meaning that only those who pay for extended features can now find those listings. Additionally, you have to know exactly what it is you are searching for in order to find it; browsing an auction is a different method for different purpose entirely.

Sadly, I feel that Tom is more interested in getting people to use SAN using the methods he believes people should use, rather than in learning how people actually use the site. That's a critical flaw IMO.

I explained to him that I frequently may recall an item from a visual perspective, where I don't remember what the exact catalog number was, but I remember which sale it was in, or that it was in one of several during a particular period. Being able to browse auctions allows one to find items like this. Additionally, being able to retain the context of what similar items were offered in the same auction can be important.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3086 Posts
Posted 05/18/2019   8:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Tom's business = Tom's rules. Sadly that is the way it works. Also sad that one has to pay for access to some features. That nasty capitalism rearing its head again. Sad. I do wish that he would emulate eBay more. But sadly it is probably not to be. I hope that Tom takes the advice of some of the experts here and makes some of the noted changes that would enhance SAN in no small way. One can only hope. For now we must struggle on with the status quo. Godspeed.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4489 Posts
Posted 05/18/2019   8:38 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree. It is definitely his right to run his business as he sees fit. I make all my criticism as one who pays for the extended features, so it's not like I'm trying to get something for nothing. The bigger issue to me is the dismissal of the importance of browsable auction listings as an alternative to search.

Regardless, SAN is a valuable informational resource... just not quite as usable as it could be.
Edited by revenuecollector - 05/18/2019 8:39 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3086 Posts
Posted 05/18/2019   9:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Agreed Rev.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5891 Posts
Posted 05/18/2019   9:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The only thing he seems to care about is getting the most cash for the least info. Fortunately most of the important sales can be better viewed on the websites of the individual auction houses involved.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.89 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05