Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ceylon Barred Numeral Postmark 15

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1993 Posts
Posted 11/15/2018   5:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add jimjamtwo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Does anyone know which office was represented by the number 15? There are a few lists of Ceylonese barred numerals online, but none seem to include 15.

Thanks for looking!
Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28074 Posts
Posted 11/15/2018   6:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Guess:
Baldock Hertfordshire

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1993 Posts
Posted 11/15/2018   6:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jimjamtwo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, yes, it could well have been cancelled in the UK. That's what I thought at first until I realised that numerals had been used in Ceylon and then I thought again. I'll look into it!
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28074 Posts
Posted 11/15/2018   6:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Note: Your Pmk is a 4-2-2-4 Barred Numeral 45, not 15.

Scan : Philatelicweb,com

Edited by rod222 - 11/15/2018 6:28 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1993 Posts
Posted 11/15/2018   8:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jimjamtwo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, rod222! Much appreciated!
Valued Member
Canada
96 Posts
Posted 11/16/2018   12:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add j2186 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Your postmark is from Nuwara Eliya. Here is another example (not mine):

If it had been a number 15, it would be from Utuwankanda.

Jan
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28074 Posts
Posted 11/16/2018   01:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow! thanks Jan,
(Apologies JimJam )
I searched everywhere for the Ceylonese.
Are you able to offer any links where we may study please?

The two killers look very similar.

On cover, straight Barred numeral, not a duplex.

http://www.prestigephilately.com/ca...heme&lim=160

Edited by rod222 - 11/16/2018 01:47 am
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1993 Posts
Posted 11/16/2018   05:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jimjamtwo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Jan! Like rod, I couldn't find this one listed anywhere online. Please do let us know if there are relevant sources available on the net!
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2367 Posts
Posted 11/16/2018   09:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Ceylon Postage Stamp Numeral Cancellations
Edited by perf12 - 11/16/2018 09:25 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4423 Posts
Posted 11/16/2018   1:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A scan of a page in my Ceylon album of town cancels ------
Edited by floortrader - 11/16/2018 1:15 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28074 Posts
Posted 11/16/2018   2:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, Perf 12, Floortrader, and J.M. Fleming.

Valued Member
Canada
96 Posts
Posted 11/16/2018   7:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add j2186 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The list given above is from the Encyclopedia of British Empire Postage Stamps, Volume III. The other list appears to be the same.

I know of no full internet listing of these postmarks. The most complete listing I have seen was in "The Postal History of Ceylon". I don't have a copy or a proper scan, but I do know that it is not in full agreement with the above list, and still has some question marks in it.

Jan
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1993 Posts
Posted 11/17/2018   07:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jimjamtwo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the info Jan. It sounds like there are still discoveries to be made in Ceylonese philately.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3323 Posts
Posted 11/17/2018   10:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My only Ceylon Barrel Cancels have Letters. There is also one showing a part of a "1" which could be many places, of course. Nice thread and information.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
5774 Posts
Posted 11/18/2018   5:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jan,

Is the information on Utuwankanda from The Postal History of Ceylon? (I'd like to note the source in my lists.)

Thanks.
Valued Member
Canada
96 Posts
Posted 11/20/2018   2:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add j2186 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes it is.

Jan
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.51 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05