Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help With Russian November 1817 Censor Cover

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2232 Posts
Posted 11/16/2018   6:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add littleriverphil to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
A recent addition has me puzzled. The pair of design # A15 10k stamps are perf 14 x 14.5, appear to be wove paper, but my Scott Classic Specialized says the 1909-12 issue have a lozenge of varnish of the face? Is this a pair of Sc79? Also could anyone tell me where it was postmarked, please.

Was the red handstamp applied by the censor?
What does the censor tape say?

I'm sure the Fundberys were relieved to see this letter.

Fan mail from some flounder?
Send note to Staff
Edited by littleriverphil - 11/16/2018 6:03 pm

Pillar Of The Community
United States
3609 Posts
Posted 11/16/2018   6:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think that your letter was postmarked in ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand...y_of_Finland ... The Grand Duchy of Finland "existed between 1809 and 1917 as an autonomous part of the Russian Empire".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaasa_Province ... Ylistaro is in the Province of Vaasa

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey (who is waiting for someone to explain Bulwinkle CA)
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by ikeyPikey - 11/16/2018 6:38 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2232 Posts
Posted 11/16/2018   7:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Ikey

Quote:
(who is waiting for someone to explain Bulwinkle CA)

A small mill town in Humboldt County Cal, about 200 miles north of San Francisco. Named after the owner of the Little River Lumber Company, Conrad Bulwinkle, the post office opened 7 Nov 1909 and changed the name to Crannel on 8 Sep 1922 which operated until 30 Nov 1969.

Edited by littleriverphil - 11/16/2018 8:01 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1370 Posts
Posted 11/16/2018   7:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The censor tape says "opened by war censor in Helsinki" in the last line, which is Swedish (minority language in Finland). Russian equivalent at top and Finnish in the middle.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2232 Posts
Posted 11/16/2018   8:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you. And the red handstamp? Is there a calendar change as well? Postmarked 17 X._7 ( I think I can see cancellation ink on the pert tip where the 1 of 17 would be, unless it took 10 days to get through the censors office), it wouldn't have taken 6 weeks to arrive would it?
Valued Member
Greece
194 Posts
Posted 11/18/2018   11:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vasia to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice cover!

Franked correctly at 20k (the rate after September 1st) with Scott #79 (the lozenges of varnish can be seen looking at the stamps - at least mint ones - at an angle).

Due to wartime conditions, all international mail was censored. Hence the red 2-line handstamp of the military censor in Helsingfors/Helsinki. Notice that the censormark bears a manuscript date: 18/10 (October 18th).

Although Russia was still using the Julian calendar at the time, Finland, part of the Russian Empire, was using the Gregorian one (13 days ahead of the Julian). Hence it took more than 2 months for the letter to arrive at its destination - presumably due to wartime conditions and the onset of the Bolshevik Revolution in Petrograd a week after the letter's posting.
Edited by vasia - 11/18/2018 11:35 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2232 Posts
Posted 11/18/2018   3:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you. Cant see any thing other than cancel on the stamps, even at an angle.
Edited by littleriverphil - 11/18/2018 4:10 pm
Valued Member
United States
388 Posts
Posted 12/06/2018   1:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danko to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think I see some white lines of lozenge on the stamps, especially top of left one.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2232 Posts
Posted 12/06/2018   4:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you. Now that you mention it, There does seem to be a whiteish "haze" over NOY and down the right side of the central oval, circled in this image. Is that the varnish?

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05