Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Expert's Opinions Wanted - Scott O96

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 1,175Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1189 Posts
Posted 11/16/2018   9:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Stampman2002 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I pulled this out of a lot I received today. I expected, when I held it up to a strong light to see a very transparent paper, expecting this to be Scott O15.

Instead, it is the typical mottled soft paper you commonly see with the soft paper printings, especially Scott 207.

I flipped it over to look at the reverse and someone had written in pencil O96, which is the soft paper variety. When I looked it up in the Scott Specialized, its a $400.00 stamp.

Here's the stamp. Please feel free to offer any and all opinions on whether you think this is what I think it is. The images are at 1200 dpi, adjusted by the optimizer for size.

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
8281 Posts
Posted 11/16/2018   9:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It appears to have soft paper perfs.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1189 Posts
Posted 11/16/2018   11:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stampman2002 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Bart. I thought so too, but didn't want to influence what someone else might say.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2501 Posts
Posted 11/16/2018   11:43 pm  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It has all of the appeances of a soft paper stamp.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
570 Posts
Posted 11/17/2018   10:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wtcrowe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Officials exist on several paper types. The clearly hard Continental type similar to Scott 156-166, the clearly soft American type similar to Scott 182-191 and an intermediate paper which looks something like a soft paper. The latter is the problem. It is difficult to tell from a scan, but I am not sure that is a soft paper printing. Shade looks closer to hard paper and the sharpness of the impression looks closer to hard paper. This may be an intermediate paper. Most expertizing services attribute the intermediate paper to the cheaper variety. In this case an intermediate paper would mean an expertizing service might identify your stamp as a Scott O15 which catalogues $10 as a used stamp as opposed to a Scott O96 which catalogues $400 as a used stamp.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
917 Posts
Posted 11/17/2018   10:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Caper123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stampman, that is a great scan. Do you mind sharing what type scanner you use?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2710 Posts
Posted 11/17/2018   11:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1189 Posts
Posted 11/17/2018   4:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stampman2002 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
wtcrowe, thanks for the analysis. The clarity of the impression was the one problem I was having with the stamp. It just wasn't "fuzzy" enough in the details for what I expected a soft paper to look like.

I was not aware of the intermediate paper type for the officials, so that helped explain it.

The posting by littleriverphil is great to show the types of paper as seen with lighting at the back. How did you do that so I can provide that type of scan for everyone to see what I'm seeing?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2710 Posts
Posted 11/17/2018   5:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Cut the stamp image sized rectangle out of a 102 card, centered the stamp in the "view port" and placed the card over a light, took a photo.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2501 Posts
Posted 11/19/2018   07:47 am  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would not be focused as much on color or the apparent quality of the impression, which doesn't strike me as that great but rather, the look of the paper. That fine horizontal ribbing should be a dead giveaway that it is a soft paper stamp.
Edited by sinclair2010 - 11/19/2018 07:47 am
Pillar Of The Community
1375 Posts
Posted 11/19/2018   09:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamperix to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
yes, the paper and the perforation looks like soft paper.
but what about paper thickness here? just as an additional indicator.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1189 Posts
Posted 11/19/2018   2:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stampman2002 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The paper, when compared with other officials which are only hard paper, is thicker and very ... limp... is about the best term I can think of. While the hard paper stamps are stiff when lightly brushed with a fingertip, this one is completely different.

I tried to duplicate the light behind image but haven't been able to get is so far.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2710 Posts
Posted 11/19/2018   8:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree that it looks thicker, but have no way to measure them. I also think it "flicks" like soft paper, as Stampman said, limper.

Getting the photo may take a tripod. I used a flashlight and several books to bring the light and card up into focal range.
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 1,175Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05