Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Gibbons Windsor Album

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1554 Posts
Posted 11/17/2018   1:45 pm  Show Profile Check Stamps1962's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Stamps1962 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I used one of these for my GB collection for years, then a year or more ago decided to try another. I got rid of my Windsor pages but have decided to switch back. I just picked you a set of new pages from a vendor on eBay, recent copyright.

I note they now have conventional album spaces for the stamps. Before they had squares slightly smaller than the stamp to facilitate mounting but with these pages the stamp is framed. I like the look on these.

Anyone happen to know when they changed the format?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
3500 Posts
Posted 11/17/2018   1:53 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't have the Windsor, but I think they changed the pages perhaps five years ago to reflect the changed practices of collectors - particularly the use of mounts.

Did you visit London?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1554 Posts
Posted 11/17/2018   10:48 pm  Show Profile Check Stamps1962's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Stamps1962 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Geoff I got back from London three weeks ago tomorrow. I posted a few impressions in my original thread:

http://goscf.com/t/63777&whichpage=2

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
3500 Posts
Posted 11/18/2018   03:12 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ah, found it now. Glad you had a good time.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1409 Posts
Posted 11/18/2018   06:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Stamps. I was wondering about that too.

Jack Kelley
Valued Member
411 Posts
Posted 11/25/2018   11:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting. I wish there were some images illustrating these page changes. I wonder why the older pages had the smaller mounting spaces? Was the idea that the stamp would cover up the box in order to make the stamps look like they were mounted on a blank page? If so, that's an interesting approach.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1554 Posts
Posted 11/26/2018   11:10 am  Show Profile Check Stamps1962's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Stamps1962 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am currently using an older New Imperial set of albums for pre-1936 British empire. They have that format, small squares used for guidance in placement but covered up by the stamps. I never cared for it but apparently that was the norm in early collecting. Not sure why though.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
3500 Posts
Posted 11/26/2018   11:21 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If the female question is "Why do men always have to urinate AGAINST something?", perhaps that to stamp collectors is "Why do you always have to stick something IN a little box?"
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1554 Posts
Posted 12/03/2018   7:47 pm  Show Profile Check Stamps1962's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Stamps1962 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I believe there are a few others on here using the Windsor album and am wondering: what sort of mount preference do you have for use? Black or clear? I am very interested in the Victoria issues an I think those look good in black mounts. But.. I've always liked the look of an album with stamps framed. The reprinted Windsor pages now have spaces exactly the size of Hawid mounts, if I use black Hawids,the frame line won't be visible.

This is purely a matter of personal preference. Any input welcome.
Edited by Stamps1962 - 12/03/2018 7:49 pm
Valued Member
United States
244 Posts
Posted 12/04/2018   07:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add svensson to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have to admit I didn't give it much thought other than with well spaced stamps I prefer black mounts so that is what I use in my Windsor, even if they cover the border. For more crowded pages, like Minkus (thanks, binder received...) I use clear. John
Valued Member
United States
250 Posts
Posted 12/04/2018   3:19 pm  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm still using the same SG Windsor Album I bought in London way back when I was a kid in the early 1970's...its always been black mounts for me as they make the stamps jump out from their pages (visually, not literally lol).
Valued Member
United States
99 Posts
Posted 12/04/2018   3:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Richard Frajola to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Several years ago I made my own pages based on my memory of having used Windsor pages in the early 1960s.

I used Bolaffi Kanguru mounts. You can print your own pages, in various versions, from my (free) PDF files are linked here:

http://www.rfrajola.com/gbpages.htm
Valued Member
7 Posts
Posted 12/05/2018   11:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BrentAbba to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I picked up a collection of GB definitives that run from Victoria through the early QE 2 issues at a show last weekend. I have the Gibbons concise catalogue already. Is the Windsor a good option to start mounti g these, or are there other options I should consider? I'm not looking to go too expensive, just seeking something nice for the shelf.
Valued Member
United States
244 Posts
Posted 12/06/2018   8:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add svensson to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, a Windsor would be a nice, not overly expensive, option for those. I think you'd need volumes 1 and 2.
Valued Member
7 Posts
Posted 12/07/2018   11:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BrentAbba to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Any chance you still have your 3 binder set available? If so can you message me?

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2165 Posts
Posted 12/08/2018   08:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If so can you message me?

Brent, you'll need another 43 posts before we can message you.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2018 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.99 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05