Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Any Thoughts on Hipstamp?

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Learn More...
5912 Posts
Posted 01/05/2019   1:30 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would not assume that HS will remain the same over time. It is very common for online business plans to include a no/low profitable start until traffic and transactional volumes increase.

Our hobby's desire to for someone to invest millions of dollars in building online transaction venues that supports high volumes of low value listings is a stretch.
Don
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2514 Posts
Posted 01/05/2019   1:48 pm  Show Profile Check Battlestamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Battlestamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with revenuecollector - Hipstamp is a complete horror show when it comes to listing items. I opened and closed a Hipstamp store in less than 30 minutes and got a refund as I didn't like the format. It's too clunky and in desperate need of being streamlined. Turbolister is a dream compared to Hipstamp's listing tools. I'll stick to eBay for new material and still use Delcampe for older material.

revenuecollector: Well, you now know one person who has/had eBay stores without a subscription. I don't have auctions each month so I only open one for the months I do. I had en eBay store for November and December, but not this month. Maybe I'll reopen for February if I get things ready in time. The only problem with opening an eBay store for month is you have to watch eBay as sometimes they like to charge for two months even if you close the store in the first month.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
3626 Posts
Posted 01/05/2019   2:16 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
By coincidence, eBay UK is running a final value offer at the moment. These are the T&Cs

https://pages.ebay.co.uk/promos/2016/3286.html
Valued Member
United States
295 Posts
Posted 01/05/2019   2:42 pm  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Listing on HS does take some getting used to, but I now have few issues with the process, extra clicks 'n all.

Meanwhile, eBay just threw me another 100 free auction listings, starting tomorrow. Off to the scanner salt mines I go...
Valued Member
United Kingdom
9 Posts
Posted 01/07/2019   4:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add potterspostals to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello everyone

Here is my five pence/cents worth

Can't say I've used Hipstamp to sell any items and from the responses I've seen I doubt I will ever use them

I have an eBay store, 1500 items a month, plus auctions (that I rarely use). Have the subscription so my payments are low. At the moment eBay is the only online store I use. Need to pick up the courage and create my own online store. (More work, but the rewards would be greater)

A Happy New Year to everyone

Huw

Valued Member
50 Posts
Posted 01/11/2019   10:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Redtail to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Question for the stamp dealing folks as I wish more of you sold on HS so the community could vote with purchasing $.

I notice there is some overlap on sellers between eBay and HS. Offering the exact same stuff, price, terms, etc. so when I'm ready to pull the trigger on a new acquisition I switch off my phone app to the clunky HS site on my 2006 vintage desktop PC and do the transaction there (support the little guys when you can theory and send a little subtle message to eBay).

After I complete the purchase I notice that instantly the item comes off my watch list!! How does that happen exactly? Why can some dealer do this but only some? I'm not a fan of eBay but I know it is many dealers lifeblood but if they can list on both system with not too much bother this gives us the users of the system the opportunity to vote with our purchasing $.
Edited by Redtail - 01/11/2019 10:08 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1080 Posts
Posted 01/11/2019   11:07 pm  Show Profile Check cfrphoto's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add cfrphoto to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
According to some reports, it you live in Washington state, eBay has started to collect sales tax on interstate transactions. At least for now, Washington state buyers on HipStamp may not be charged sales tax by out-of-state sellers. Most out-of-state stamp dealers are unlikely cross Wayfair dollar or transaction count thresholds, but some of the largest dealers and major auction houses will. California, on the other hand, is a more populous state and even relatively small sellers will be obligated to collect and report sales tax starting April 1, 2019. Stamp dealers who sell at out-of-state shows may find that having a minimal physical nexus in the state will be asked to collect and report taxes on Internet sales. But for now, HipStamp is the less likely to be taxed alternative.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4145 Posts
Posted 01/12/2019   09:52 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
After I complete the purchase I notice that instantly the item comes off my watch list!! How does that happen exactly?

Hipstamp offers sellers the ability to synchronize listings with eBay, so if an item is sold on Hipstamp, it automatically is removed from eBay, and vice versa. When I tried using it several years ago, it was buggy and didn't work 100% of the time, so I opted not to rely on it. I didn't want the disaster of having someone on one site buy an item that had already been sold on another site.

Quote:
But for now, HipStamp is the less likely to be taxed alternative.

Has Hipstamp officially stated its plans with respect to collecting state sales tax, or is it leaving it completely up to individual sellers to deal with (the opposite approach to that of eBay)?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
878 Posts
Posted 01/12/2019   09:59 am  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What is eBay doing?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2514 Posts
Posted 01/12/2019   10:13 am  Show Profile Check Battlestamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Battlestamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
From what I can by looking at my own listings, eBay is collecting taxes for Washington and Minnesota residents. I guess I don't have to do anything and eBay is handling it all.
Edited by Battlestamps - 01/12/2019 10:13 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
542 Posts
Posted 01/12/2019   11:11 am  Show Profile Check srailkb's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add srailkb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Minnesota and Washington being collected now, with others to follow per the attached schedule:
https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/f...rges?id=4121

eBay sales tax collection

Based on applicable tax laws, eBay will calculate, collect, and remit sales tax on behalf of sellers for items shipped to customers in the following states:

Minnesota
January 1, 2019
Minnesota - Small business exemption - Minnesota has enacted a small business exemption for out of state unregistered sellers whose taxable retail sales into Minnesota are less than $10,000 in the previous 12-month period. These sellers are not subject to the Minnesota marketplace tax laws, and eBay will not be collecting sales tax on these transactions.

Washington
January 1, 2019

Iowa
February 1, 2019

Connecticut
April 1, 2019

New Jersey
May 1, 2019

Alabama
July 1, 2019

Oklahoma
July 1, 2019

Pennsylvania
July 1, 2019

Prior to the effective date, you should continue to collect and remit tax in these states if required. Additional states will be added to this list at a later date.

Once eBay starts to collect tax in the above states, no action is required on your part, and there will be no charges or fees for eBay automatically calculating, collecting and remitting sales tax. The collection process will apply to all sales, whether the seller is located in or outside of the United States.

When a buyer purchases an item on eBay, and the ship to address is one of the above states, eBay will calculate and add the applicable sales tax at checkout. The buyer will pay both the cost of the item along with the sales tax. eBay will collect and remit the tax.

Sellers are not able to opt out of selling items into the states listed above or opt out of eBay automatically collecting sales tax.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4145 Posts
Posted 01/12/2019   11:31 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Minnesota
January 1, 2019
Minnesota - Small business exemption - Minnesota has enacted a small business exemption for out of state unregistered sellers whose taxable retail sales into Minnesota are less than $10,000 in the previous 12-month period. These sellers are not subject to the Minnesota marketplace tax laws, and eBay will not be collecting sales tax on these transactions.

So... how does eBay know whether a particular Minnesota-based seller should be excluded? What if the seller sells on multiple platforms and/or their own website? Unless I am misunderstanding, the annual sales threshold isn't per platform; it's cumulative.

Is eBay making the boneheaded assumption that people sell ONLY on eBay... or is the onus on Minnesota sellers to voluntarily opt into state sales tax collection by eBay?
Edited by revenuecollector - 01/12/2019 11:34 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
542 Posts
Posted 01/12/2019   11:46 am  Show Profile Check srailkb's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add srailkb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
revenuecollector, I don't know the answer to your question but would guess that eBay will only collect if your sales ON eBay to buyers in MN exceeded $10k in the prior 12 months. If your sales aren't that high, eBay won't collect the tax and any onus would be on you to set up your sales tax tables so that taxes are appropriately collected (and remitted) once your cumulative sales (all venues) to MN exceed the threshold.

IMO, that's the way they SHOULD handle it, so this is actually welcome news (to me). I just assumed that (in typical eBay fashion) they'd ram it down everyone's throat with a broad brush and collect sales tax for ALL sellers on ALL sales to MN, thereby negatively impacting sellers who wouldn't otherwise hit the threshold....
Edited by srailkb - 01/12/2019 11:49 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
542 Posts
Posted 01/12/2019   11:48 am  Show Profile Check srailkb's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add srailkb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
BTW, you said "how does eBay know whether a particular Minnesota-based seller should be excluded". This doesn't deal with Minnesota sellers, it affects US sellers everywhere BUT MN who are selling to MN buyers.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3390 Posts
Posted 01/12/2019   11:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Speaking of eBay's ram, I expect that they will set up an enforcement posse to help the states to which they are paying taxes to identify & pursue online platforms that are not collecting sales tax for that state ... but only if the sun keeps rising in the east.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.88 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05