Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Cut Out Damaged First Day Covers - Garbage?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
185 Posts
Posted 11/20/2018   12:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Turtle2900 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I just discovered these in my bin and unfortunately they have been cut and taped back together by the previous owner.

Are they just garbage or save for their cancels and "history"?
Other thoughts?

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2680 Posts
Posted 11/20/2018   2:07 pm  Show Profile Check Battlestamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Battlestamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They are easily had and common in undamaged form so yes, it's safe to chuck them.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3477 Posts
Posted 11/20/2018   3:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with Battlestamps. It is hard to imagine (and painful to see) a stamp collector putting cellophane tape on stamps or covers
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3919 Posts
Posted 11/20/2018   7:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Master" =s "kid".

Maybe someone told him that you are not supposed to take the stamps off, so he did his best to put them back.

Depending on the age, he did a fair job.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Edited by ikeyPikey - 11/20/2018 7:18 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1132 Posts
Posted 11/20/2018   7:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Garbage. It pains me to even look at them. I would trash them.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
185 Posts
Posted 11/20/2018   10:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Turtle2900 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, very painful. Off to the recycle bin
Pillar Of The Community
United States
546 Posts
Posted 11/21/2018   11:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add eligies to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just a thought: If you put them in a folder & take them to your next show, head for the table with FDCs & go through the $1 box to get replacements. Usually you can talk down the items$$ if you get enough so you can get replacements for a relative good price.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
634 Posts
Posted 11/21/2018   6:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would hang on to them. If you are a member of a local stamp club or have an opportunity to talk to young stamp collectors, they are very physical examples of what NOT to do ....
Valued Member
73 Posts
Posted 09/15/2019   8:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add profgreeley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm late to this conversation, but am interested in knowing what the dos and donts are regarding FDCs. I recently purchased a cover for my topical art collection that I was purely interested in for the special cancellation mark. The cover has an ugly, and irrelevant, reproduction on the far left, and I am wondering if it's acceptable to cut it down for my album so that just the stamp and cancellation mark are featured. Is this a no-no?
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
185 Posts
Posted 09/15/2019   8:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Turtle2900 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, a no-no for a stamp, covers collection
Valued Member
73 Posts
Posted 09/15/2019   8:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add profgreeley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
To clarify – a no-no for a collection of philatelic items, as opposed to just covers?
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
185 Posts
Posted 09/15/2019   9:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Turtle2900 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Your post mentioned a FDC collection, so I was assuming you were referring to that.
But I re-read your post and I think I better understand.
If you just want the stamp and cancel you can cut it down. I would caution this if there is anything else on the cover that effects the value (e.g., the FDC) or any other provenance, etc. I really comes down to what you are collecting and why. and then value if that's important to you. The cover often tells a story.
I am sure others will chime in... Thats my 2 cents.
Valued Member
73 Posts
Posted 09/15/2019   9:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add profgreeley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's very helpful, thank you. I don't think it's a valuable cover, so I doubt I'd be losing much by cropping it. But I am new to this, and am very teach-able! So happy to hear other opinions...
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3919 Posts
Posted 09/15/2019   9:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
'
Ages ago, collectors would cut down a cover so that the stamp-postmark-cancel remnant could more easily be mounted in an album.

This practice is now out-of-fashion ... deeply out-of-fashion.

That having been said, I've cut down a few covers, anyway; sometimes, the cover was more a trashy remnant than a cover; sometimes, the cover was an unremarkable waste of space; sometimes, I just felt like going old school.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Pillar Of The Community
2400 Posts
Posted 09/15/2019   10:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One will encounter it more in topical exhibits ... to leave covers intact and to "window" the cover by cutting a slit in the exhibit page so the stressed feature is visible and the rest hidden. It also allows more space for additional write-up or philatelic material on the page. I don't have an example handy, but am sure someone will post a typical topical exhibit page here shortly.
Valued Member
73 Posts
Posted 09/15/2019   10:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add profgreeley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is very helpful. Would it be better for me to overlap the ugly repro with another item rather than cutting it?
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05