Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need Help With Identification...

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 1,211Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

6 Posts
Posted 11/20/2018   3:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Stamp David to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Looking for info and value for this charming item. Appears to be a Scott 300 on nice RPPC.

Send note to Staff

Learn More...
8371 Posts
Posted 11/20/2018   4:00 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6026 Posts
Posted 11/20/2018   4:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Info:

1903 Regular issue. Earliest known use of Feb. 3rd, 1903. Designed by Raymond Ostrander & Clair Aubrey Huston. Plates of 400 subjects in 4 panes of 100 each for all values from 1˘ - 15˘. Plates of 200 subjects in 2 panes of 100 for 50˘, $1, $2, and $5. Scott specialized states "Many stamps of this issues are known with blurred printing due to having been printed on dry paper".

For value there is probably more value in the postcard and cancel than in the stamp.
Valued Member
United States
196 Posts
Posted 11/20/2018   7:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add thepackrat to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
OK Stupid question here. What is an RPPC?
Thanks,
Robert
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29882 Posts
Posted 11/20/2018   7:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Robert,
no such thing as a stupid question. Here at least :)

A real photo postcard (RPPC) is a continuous-tone photographic image printed on postcard stock. The term recognizes a distinction between the real photo process and the lithographic or offset printing processes employed in the manufacture of most postcard images.
Valued Member
United States
196 Posts
Posted 11/20/2018   9:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add thepackrat to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rod222 - Thanks for the explanation. I never realized there was a difference. I wonder if I have any in my collection of stamped postcards. I will have to check.
Thanks again,
Robert
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29882 Posts
Posted 11/20/2018   9:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
6 Posts
Posted 11/20/2018   9:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stamp David to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just love the combination of card, stamp, cancellation, and how the sender inverted the mount. These combos that tell a story appeal to me much more than a stamp alone. Your thoughts?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2678 Posts
Posted 11/20/2018   11:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampcrow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
These combos that tell a story appeal to me much more than a stamp alone. Your thoughts?

My thoughts..., this combo doesn't tell me a story.

What is it that you find interesting about this "combo"?
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
72 Posts
Posted 11/20/2018   11:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rascal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This doesn't have much to do with the postcard but (according to the 1910 census) Edith Corlett was about six years old when her father Roy, a salesman, sent her the card in 1907. It appears that Edith probably never left Cleveland because she died there in 1992.

We really have to appreciate the families back then that save postcards and correspondence.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
392 Posts
Posted 11/21/2018   12:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rismoney to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Upside down stamps often mean I love you in mutually agreed upon stamp code

Learn More...
8371 Posts
Posted 11/21/2018   03:18 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Upside down stamps often mean I love you in mutually agreed upon stamp code

To add to the above, the 'language of stamps' was popular in the late nineteenth and early twentieth century but was incredibly inconsistent. The place and position of the stamp on a mail piece and its 'meaning' depended completely on one of countless interpretations most of which did not agree with one another. For example, consider some of the published interpretations below…

It is unclear to me how a sender and receiver would ensure they were 'on the same page' unless this was agreed to before using. The probability of misunderstanding seems significant and the result could have been unexpectedly bad.
Don
Valued Member
6 Posts
Posted 11/21/2018   03:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stamp David to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What wonderful discussions!!!

I have often heard that the most common meaning for the up-side-down stamp meant that I miss you or that I am "upside-down" without you.

Appropriate for a salesman father away from his family as depicted in this post card.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
392 Posts
Posted 11/21/2018   12:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rismoney to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
51studebaker: Thanks for that - I read about this when I was a kid.

I always enjoy seeing covers with tilted stamps or upside stamps, especially when the code is apparent. The problem I have found in acquiring this material has been the pricing. It always seems to be _way_ out of whack with the stamp's valuations. There are a bunch on eBay last I looked with sellers who think they have gold despite the inflated listings being up for years without a sale. You can't sell a $10 cover for $100 simply because some stamps are on tilt.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
660 Posts
Posted 11/21/2018   2:02 pm  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another part of the story that stands out to me is that from Prospect Point one can see the Canadian Horseshoe Falls, but since this view is from the US side, the American Flag machine cancellation makes a good fit.
Valued Member
6 Posts
Posted 11/21/2018   2:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stamp David to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The card reads:

"Dear Daughter, The ice _________ was nice but it won't last long, love to you and mama, papa"

but I cannot figure out the word after ice.

Can anyone help?
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 1,211Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.91 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05