Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

2019 USPS Issues... News? Thoughts? Opinions?

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Valued Member
United States
495 Posts
Posted 05/05/2019   5:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add modernstamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
51studebaker, The Railroad stamps are very nice!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
103 Posts
Posted 06/05/2019   5:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Perf10 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I got a chuckle at the Transcontinental RR stamps' poster at the local post office. It includes a photo of a British locomotive.
Valued Member
United States
237 Posts
Posted 06/06/2019   08:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DaveG28 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just got the railroad sheet in the mail. It's terrific looking! All the gold on the stamps really sets it off.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2661 Posts
Posted 06/16/2019   6:39 pm  Show Profile Check Nells250's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A railfan I know was nice enough to get me a First Day Cancel right from Utah. Not from Promontory Summit (84307) but Ogden UT. He actually got to see the restored Big Boy locomotive on the move, part of the festivities.
Valued Member
United States
110 Posts
Posted 06/28/2019   08:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Swscfdc87 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm completely interested in what you all think.

The USPS bulletin says the State and County Fair issue will be part of the series "Americana." However, the Americana series that ended in 1981 was all definitive. Do you think this is going to be a new commemorative series or just part of the old one? Any thoughts?

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2491 Posts
Posted 06/28/2019   4:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The design style seems like some prior issues like the Thanksgiving Day parade.
Al
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1294 Posts
Posted 06/28/2019   4:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
He actually got to see the restored Big Boy locomotive on the move, part of the festivities.

Coincidentally that locomotive, Union Pacific 4014, is scheduled to be in Omaha during part of the APS StampShow in that city, and as part of a larger trip from Cheyenne to Chicago and back. You can track its location based on real-time GPS data here:
https://www.up.com/forms/steam-trace.cfm

Complete schedule here:
https://www.up.com/heritage/steam/s...le/index.htm

A rare experience to see an incredible machine that no one anywhere close to the route should miss.
Valued Member
United States
110 Posts
Posted 07/01/2019   07:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Swscfdc87 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Angore, I've heard this a few times, and agree, but that wasn't labeled as a series in the USPS bulletin. Ken Lawrence mentioned that the USPS sometimes lists a series, but then it goes nowhere. Maybe I should let go of my excitement of a new Americana series.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1630 Posts
Posted 07/01/2019   09:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
CJ,

I would have like to have seen the 4014 live running. The only Big Boy I ever saw was the 4012 in Bellows Falls, VT and it was stuffed. I have watched the 4014 running on You Tube is about all.

Jack
Valued Member
United States
110 Posts
Posted 07/15/2019   08:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Swscfdc87 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I know no one was as excited as I was, but the State and County Fairs will not be part of a new commemorative Americana series. The USPS will correct the bulletin according to Linn's.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
13 Posts
Posted 08/17/2019   9:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mestephil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi All. I just joined the forum yesterday.

My biggest disappointment in the 2019 issue releases is missing the 75th anniversary of D-Day. Considering all the cartoonish issues of the year, this was an important milestone worth having.

The UK had quite a few. I just feel the USPS could have done something to honor the anniversary.

Ken
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2491 Posts
Posted 08/18/2019   05:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am sure the USPS will point to their guidelines about commemorating events on certain anniversaries - 75th is not one. This is the same USPS where the same guidelines that says the stamp program will cover American topics and we end up with Harry Potter, Dinosaurs, Dragons, Frogs, etc.

The good news is there is plenty of other older stamps and other countries to collect.
Al
Edited by angore - 08/18/2019 05:43 am
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
13 Posts
Posted 08/19/2019   02:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mestephil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I am aware of the guideline and agree they would quickly point to it. Yet they have violated it several times before, the most recent being the Wonder Woman 75th anniversary in 2016 for which they so proudly put press releases out . Some how I think things like D-Day merit more honoring than Wonder Woman, although she did almost single handedly win WWI, I hear..... :)

But you are right, there are plenty of older stamps and other countries to collect, and in my old age I am finally beginning to realize that!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2491 Posts
Posted 08/19/2019   11:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In the case of the D-Day, I consider it important since there are still D-Day survivors.
Al
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2491 Posts
Posted 08/22/2019   11:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Some recently assign Scott catalog numbers.

5392 (55) U.S.S. Missouri
5393 (55) Pres. George Herbert Walker Bush

5394 Sesame Street Characters pane of 16
a. (55) Big Bird
b. (55) Ernie
c. (55) Bert
d. (55) Cookie Monster
e. (55) Rosita
f. (55) The Count
g. (55) Oscar the Grouch
h. (55) Abby Cadabby
i. (55) Herry Monster
j. (55) Julia
k. (55) Guy Smiley
l. (55) Snuffleupagus
m. (55) Elmo
n. (55) Telly
o. (55) Grover
p. (55) Zoe

5395 (55) Pacific Tree Frog
5396 (55) Northern Leopard Frog
5397 (55) American Green Tree Frog
5398 (55) Squirrel Tree Frog
a. Convertible booklet pane of 20, 5 each #5395-5398
Al
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.97 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05