Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Modern Cancellation Errors?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3343 Posts
Posted 11/21/2018   8:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Partime to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have a large amount of cancellations that were collected by someone else, and handed over to me. All were cut from covers. Almost all are extremely common and uninteresting. So, I had to go through them one-by-one to see if something came up. I'll be posting a few of them over the next few days, but this one is one of the more interesting. Can you comment on the cancellation(s)?
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
349 Posts
Posted 11/21/2018   9:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Louise411 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have always thought that stamp to be one of the prettiest ones. I think that is hand stamped and for some reason the postal worker stamped it hard twice. I have to get one. Thank you for showing it.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3343 Posts
Posted 11/21/2018   9:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I think that is hand stamped and for some reason the postal worker stamped it hard twice.

Nope, a little more than that, at least by my eyes.
Pillar Of The Community
2466 Posts
Posted 11/21/2018   9:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rapid City: 2 different machine cancels.

The upper cancel is from a facer-canceler (a 4-head machine which detects the tagging on the stamp).

The lower cancel is from a Universal Model G (a 1-head machine which requires manual facing), note the inverted dial which did not fit all the way into the canceling head and thus imprints a bit low compared to the wavy lines. Due to the asymmetry, I suspect this dial formerly had a 5-digit zip code at the bottom and had the last 2 digits filed-away.

Impossible to tell which cancel was applied first.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3343 Posts
Posted 11/21/2018   9:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
John noted the difference. The lower cancel is inverted ... normally the city name is at the top of the cancel, with the zip code at the bottom. In this case, it is flipped. Other ones to come later.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3343 Posts
Posted 11/21/2018   10:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Due to the asymmetry, I suspect this dial formerly had a 5-digit zip code at the bottom and had the last 2 digits filed-away

Note that the top cancellation also shows just 577 on the right, though it is almost symmetric. Perhaps Rapid City increased the area zip codes right around this time?
Edited by Partime - 11/21/2018 11:00 pm
Pillar Of The Community
2466 Posts
Posted 11/21/2018   10:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The postal term you want is "sectional center", completely unrelated to phone numbers. From the 1994 "National Five-Digit Zip Code and Post Office Directory":

Edited by John Becker - 11/21/2018 11:06 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3343 Posts
Posted 11/22/2018   1:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
OK, these next ones should be easier to spot. All share the same "error" in the cancellation.

Edited by Partime - 11/23/2018 09:42 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
853 Posts
Posted 11/23/2018   1:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danstamps54 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Partime,

It seems as though you came across a postmark collection. People do collect these, myself included.

Check out the Postmark Collectors Club:

http://www.postmarks.org/resources/intro.php

Dan
Experienced stamps need a home too. I'd rather have an example that is imperfect than no example.
I collect for enjoyment, not investment.
APS Member 223433 Postmark Collectors Club Member #6333
Pillar Of The Community
Guatemala
1499 Posts
Posted 11/24/2018   9:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add quigngt to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
PM inverted on all 3
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3343 Posts
Posted 11/24/2018   9:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
PM inverted on all 3

And quigngt is correct, of course. I've got a few more to post later. Thanks for playing along.
Valued Member
Montenegro (Crna Gora)
31 Posts
Posted 12/17/2018   4:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stampsfield to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Is this wrong cancellation also? 1855

Thank you
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3980 Posts
Posted 12/17/2018   7:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That looks to me like a '9' with a glump of gop on it (technical terms); perhaps a bit of paper from a piece that went thru the canceler earlier, and soaked up plenty of ink, and deposited that ink on pieces that subsequently went thru that canceler.

Q/ Where is John Becker, now that we need him?

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Pillar Of The Community
2466 Posts
Posted 12/17/2018   8:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
LOL, since that parcel post device wasn't invented/designed until the 20th century, there would never have been "18" digits made. I agree, damage. dirt, inking irregularity makes an illusion.

------------

For a different error cancel which arrived in today's mail. LaGrange, Indiana with a "C" for the second G, on a collector sent-for cover.

Edited by John Becker - 12/17/2018 8:10 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05