Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Rea28 Beer Stamp Bungle

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 1,346Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1458 Posts
Posted 11/22/2018   11:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was perusing some of the early revenue proofs that have been digitized by the National Museum of American History and learned an interesting bit of trivia. This beer stamp proof of REA28 actually has two misspellings! Even more remarkable is that these errors were never caught and actually went into production. Let's see if anyone can spot one or both.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1732 Posts
Posted 11/22/2018   11:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Eagraved" and "Priniing."

Jim
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1458 Posts
Posted 11/23/2018   12:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Quick work! Good eyes, Jim, you found one. But "Engraving" is actually correctly spelled. I'll post a closer view so others can get a better look...

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1732 Posts
Posted 11/23/2018   12:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Greg,

Are you perhaps referring to the "z" shaped character after "Bureau,"?

Jim
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4763 Posts
Posted 11/23/2018   01:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
McCullough
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1732 Posts
Posted 11/23/2018   01:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I guess that looks like a "C" rather than a "G"

Is it this guy?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiram_McCullough

These old timers all sort of look the same to me, so I wasn't sure...

Jim
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1458 Posts
Posted 11/23/2018   2:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And Randy found the second one -- well done! The error is the name spelling of the man in the portrait. Hugh McCulloch was the Secretary of the Treasury at the time and his name ended up "McCullough" on the stamp. And since McCulloch was the chief administrator of the agency that oversaw the Bureau of Engraving & Printing, you'd think that would be a familiar name to the letter engravers.

But just as ironic is the BEP misspelling it's *own* name! If you look closely at the Bureau imprint you'll notice that the last word is "PRINIING". This error also made its way onto REA21 and REA29 of the 1871 series. Quite amazing that these typos slipped past considering the Bureau's high standard of quality control. But to be fair, the lettering is so small that no one else noticed until years later.

I encourage you to take a look at some of the other revenue proofs available for study on the NMAH website. There's some beautiful stuff on view, including a number of Persian Rugs. http://americanhistory.si.edu/colle...:objectgroup
Pillar Of The Community
United States
692 Posts
Posted 11/24/2018   06:40 am  Show Profile Check 1typesetter's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1typesetter to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I gotta hurry up and list mine on eBay as major errors! I'm sure somebody will bite!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8292 Posts
Posted 11/24/2018   07:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
After looking carefully at the serifs I suspect that it was a broken T rather then an actual misspelling.
Pillar Of The Community
4590 Posts
Posted 11/24/2018   11:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As a tangent, McCulloch's name is correctly spelled here, although a few years after his death. He got his banking start in Fort Wayne, Indiana.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1458 Posts
Posted 11/24/2018   4:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Gorgeous check, John!

Some years later, the BEP had another chance to get his name right. They did a better job this time.

Quote:
After looking carefully at the serifs I suspect that it was a broken T rather then an actual misspelling.

That's quite possible. The tips of the "T" are slightly more visible on other stamps. Still, you'd think they'd pay closer attention to their own imprint.
Edited by GregAlex - 11/24/2018 4:14 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 1,346Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05