Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Early Revenue With Others To Tell A Story!

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 1,731Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
131 Posts
Posted 11/23/2018   11:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add richar babcock to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
A short story. Promissory note: Wrote out and paid much later, Stamp dated same date as note, placed over: Stp 2nd for.

Note paid July 1869 on back.

Creature of habit: Early Note wrote out and Paid 3 years later,Stamp dated same day as Note,Stamp 2nd for all in same ink. interest written in pencil the day both notes were paid.

It is believed that on October 28th 1862 this 5 cent stamp was used on this date,just 5 days after being delivered to Theresa New York.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
8281 Posts
Posted 11/23/2018   11:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Then why write "stamp pd. for" at the bottom? If you have the stamp there is no need to write that. Clearly they did not have one and it was added later.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
667 Posts
Posted 11/23/2018   1:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SPQR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Clearly they did not have one and it was added later.

That would also explain the use of an imperforate stamp 10 days BEFORE the November 7, 1862 Butler & Carpenter telegram to the Treasury indicating that they would begin shipping imperforate an part perforate stamps.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8281 Posts
Posted 11/23/2018   2:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For those interested, that information is on page 12 of the Boston Book.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8281 Posts
Posted 11/23/2018   2:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would really like to know who signed on this particular cert.
Valued Member
131 Posts
Posted 11/23/2018   4:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add richar babcock to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The thing I liked most about researching this item was all the info online about the town and the people on the document > I was able to contact the town and was able to find Mr. Charles Pools great grand daughter Witch still lives in the town at 89 years old and was able to send the town and her one of the promissory notes with Charles and his fathers name on it.Charles father had help start the town! She and the town was so happy to receive the notes and sent many messages thanking me for them.The town had lost his house and all records of him and his father over time. To me this was the most important part about collecting and I will always treasure this.
Valued Member
131 Posts
Posted 11/23/2018   4:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add richar babcock to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Use this as a good reference for your research.
Edited by richar babcock - 11/23/2018 4:27 pm
Valued Member
131 Posts
Posted 11/23/2018   5:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add richar babcock to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
An old newspaper add
Valued Member
131 Posts
Posted 11/23/2018   5:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add richar babcock to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Also read on in the book page thirteen to top of page 14. Did you Know the government keeps all tax records, Like revenue stamp sales on micro film.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8281 Posts
Posted 11/23/2018   6:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
But do those records tell whether the stamps were perforated, imperforate, or part perforate? I think not. But Butler & Carpenter's records do.
Valued Member
131 Posts
Posted 11/23/2018   11:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add richar babcock to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
they tell all, Look why even go there an 1899 guide was made then but a lot more has been found since then.Do your own research to find the truth.That is the greatest-est thing to do and the most fun.I was able to trace why I was able to buy these documents. in Canada.Mr. Pools daughter married and moved to Canada in 1898, and took these notes with her after her fathers death. I purchased them all 26 at my stamp club.As said on page 13 and 14 of Boston book singles none perf may have been sent out.I need no reco from anyone at this point. I just research that is all.
Valued Member
131 Posts
Posted 11/23/2018   11:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add richar babcock to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Imperates were in storage maybe said carpenter well they were said all collectors.I ask go back and find all sales records to find the truth of revenue stamps.They said maybe then said there was so was there?Boston book was made way back then and needs to be revised.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9035 Posts
Posted 11/24/2018   12:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8281 Posts
Posted 11/24/2018   06:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Butler & Carpenter was the company that produced the first issue revenues. Butler & Carpenter would have known the exact date that they began shipping imperforate and part perforate stamps. The Boston Book used Butler & Carpenter's official records. All stamps sent out by Butler & Carpenter before that date were perforated. This document is dated before that date. The stamp on this document is imperforate. Logic says that it cannot have been applied on the date of the document. In addition, the document itself has a notation that the stamp was paid for, which would not have been done if they actually had a stamp. Nothing in your research disproves any of this. The cert is incorrect and the stamp was added later. Your disbelief does not change the fact.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5567 Posts
Posted 11/24/2018   08:55 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Imperates were in storage maybe said carpenter well they were said all collectors.I ask go back and find all sales records to find the truth of revenue stamps.They said maybe then said there was so was there?Boston book was made way back then and needs to be revised.

I keep trying to comprehend this but am failing miserably. In an effort to give Mr. Babcock the benefit of the doubt, I assume that English is not your primary/native language so things may be getting lost in translation.

Bart's (revollector's) summary is right on the money. The imperforate revenue stamp was added after the fact and the cert is in error.
Pillar Of The Community
Guatemala
1500 Posts
Posted 11/24/2018   9:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add quigngt to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
richar babcock, Regardless of who is right or wrong, I commend you for your research and donating the documents back to the great grand daughter. I would believe she is most happy to have the written contents of each document much more than the stamps.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 1,731Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05