Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

2018 Chicagopex Revenue Acquisitions Part 1: Stamps

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 662Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5567 Posts
Posted 11/24/2018   10:41 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add revenuecollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The vast majority of what I obtained at CHICAGOPEX were documents, so I'm getting the stamps out of the way first. Quite a few have been relegated to the "flip" pile, so these are only the intended keepers out of the bunch.

A lovely violet shade of R52c, more vibrant than one usually sees.

A nice 1863 red handstamp cancel.

An indeterminate blue-green handstamp cancel on R78a.

A couple of 2nd issue 70 centers with handstmp cancels.

An inking/plate anomaly at lower left.

A double transfer on R53c.

A double transfer on R18c across the top and down the right side.

There are a myriad of plate positions of R27 that exhibit varying levels of double transfer. This is one of the more dramatic, showing severe doubling all across the bottom lettering and in the lettering at left.

This is one I've been searching for quite some time. The stamp is a bit mangled, but you can see the long plate scratch at left.

Another plate variety I was missing, doubled frame line at bottom.

And on to some cancels...

Not sure what the proper orientation of this cancel is supposed to be.

Unattributed manuscript insurance company cancel. Couldn't find it in Tolman.

Nantucket Mutual Fire Insurance Co.
National Metropolitan Fire Insurance Co.
Norfolk Mutual Fire Insurance Co.

I've seen this Wenderoth & Taylor photographer cancel on smaller denominations, but this is the first time I've seen it on a 5-cent stamp.

I wish I had the full document for this one.

I believe this is "Colorado Cabinet Co."

Michigan Central Railroad on a reconstructed strip of 3.

Date line canceled in gilt ink; very unusual.

Transamerica Revenues?

I've seen this cancel before, but I can't recall the attribution. Anyone?

Somebody was REALLY meticulous in wanting to make sure they were using the proper revenue stamp type, even though it was no longer required by law.

And the last 2 slightly bigger ticket items.

This is cut canceled, but still attractive. A cost-effective way to fill the RD64 spot in the album.

Unquestionably genuine R102A, the grommet gives it some character. A (comparatively) cheap spacefiller.

Send note to Staff
Edited by revenuecollector - 11/24/2018 10:42 am

Valued Member
18 Posts
Posted 11/24/2018   11:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add youngstampguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I must say you got some really nice stamps out there. !!!!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Guatemala
1500 Posts
Posted 11/24/2018   9:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add quigngt to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice purchases. Even damaged space fillers look better than than an empty space. Congratulations.
Valued Member
United States
93 Posts
Posted 11/25/2018   09:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lackemacher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
R73 is position 13 double transfer. See "stray" marks in US Inter revenue above portrait. There are other marks throughout showing the shift.
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 662Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05