Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Saudi Revenue Or Cinderella?

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 35 / Views: 1,761Next Topic
Page: of 3
SCF Advertiser
Learn More...
Canada
270 Posts
Posted 12/03/2018   7:11 pm  Show Profile Check steve123's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add steve123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod222:
Yes, please pass on to ONEPS.
Eventually, it will be listed either for bid or on my website. I will let you know either way.
Thank you,
Steve
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Moreland Revenue Stamps
Specializing in Canadian Revenues
Also Canada / USA EFO's
www.morelandrevenuestamps.com

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29882 Posts
Posted 12/05/2018   3:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Steve,

You have a cracker, not listed anywhere apparently.

I shall be placing the stamp image on my Turkey thread as information for future students.
So SCF forum, uncover a previously unknown revenue

Here is the response from O.N.E.P.S.

Quote:
Dear Rod, thanks very much for this challenge. The latest resource is the vast collection of Emir Eray Suleimaniye, which he published in a large volume in 2012. This Izmir municipal stamp is not in that volume either. As the Turkish resource said, the identity of the stamp is clearly inscribed on it, so we'll just have to keep it as one of the innumerable Ottoman revenue stamps, the full extent of which no one has yet mastered. I may exhibit it in the next issue.
Thanks again. rr

Edited by rod222 - 12/05/2018 3:43 pm
SCF Advertiser
Learn More...
Canada
270 Posts
Posted 12/05/2018   4:51 pm  Show Profile Check steve123's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add steve123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow! Another stamp I can't identify. For the brief period I had it on eBay, there were a few watchers. I even received an email asking for it to be relisted with a buy-it-now price. Since I don't know a reasonable asking price, it's a little difficult to do that.
Thank you again to everyone and I would love to see a copy of the issue that it is published in.
Moreland Revenue Stamps
Also Canada / USA EFO's

Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2711 Posts
Posted 12/05/2018   5:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
steve123; If you put it up for sale you can contact me also….
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29882 Posts
Posted 12/05/2018   6:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I even received an email asking for it to be relisted with a buy-it-now price.

That's because that person may want to snatch a possible bargain.
Open auction is always the fairest avenue.
SCF Advertiser
Learn More...
Canada
270 Posts
Posted 12/05/2018   7:16 pm  Show Profile Check steve123's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add steve123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yup! But I'm not new! LOL
Moreland Revenue Stamps
Also Canada / USA EFO's

SCF Advertiser
Learn More...
Canada
270 Posts
Posted 12/30/2018   10:01 pm  Show Profile Check steve123's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add steve123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have decided to post on eBay for sale. There was interest on this thread so I hope it's okay. The start price was a real baffler. I may be out to lunch. For now, it's an extreme rarity with only one known and not recorded in the largest volume. I put it at $129.95 USD. Thanks everyone for all your input.
Steve
https://www.ebay.com/itm/362522040674
Moreland Revenue Stamps
Also Canada / USA EFO's

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29882 Posts
Posted 12/30/2018   10:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Thanks for letting us know.
Price is too heavy for me, but look forward to see the interest,
Still important that we got to see the item, and be involved with its identity.
It's the "peaches and cream" of being a stamp collector.
Good Luck.

Pillar Of The Community
674 Posts
Posted 12/31/2018   01:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mdroth to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Didn't see this thread before - missed it?!

It isn't listed in Mcdonald (or in my revenue catalog) if it is an Izmir municipal stamp because that would make it a 'local' revenue - not an 'Ottoman' revenue. Most (if not all) of the larger municipalities - esp including Izmir - issued local revenue stamps. I do not know of any comprehensive catalog of local revenues/stamps - that would be a monumental undertaking.

Nice item Steve. I'll be curious to see how much it goes for eventually.

Only one known? That's a stretch in my mind. All the Oneps reply tells us is that it is not in the collection of a single collector.
Edited by mdroth - 12/31/2018 02:01 am
SCF Advertiser
Learn More...
Canada
270 Posts
Posted 12/31/2018   10:44 am  Show Profile Check steve123's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add steve123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, mdroth:
You are correct. I am in no way a person who would say I know anything about these revenues. My specialty is Canada. That's why I turn to this forum when I am stumped! The Emir's collection, as stated, is vast and was published. So, I suppose it is one of the main resources other than McDonald, which I was not aware of. I've changed the heading of the auction to "1892 Local Izmir Municipal/Ottoman Arabic Revenue Stamp - Largely Unknown Rarity" to better reflect all of the input that I have received.
I thank you and everyone else who has given me extremely valuable input on this stamp. This is a wonderful forum with such a vast amount of information.
Wishing a Happy New year to all!
Steve
Moreland Revenue Stamps
Also Canada / USA EFO's

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29882 Posts
Posted 12/31/2018   4:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Local Izmir Municipal/Ottoman Arabic Revenue Stamp - Largely Unknown Rarity" to better reflect all of the input that I have received.

Well done. I felt similar thoughts as Michael.
I think your new title is perfect.

Pillar Of The Community
674 Posts
Posted 01/03/2019   04:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mdroth to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Looks good Steve - good luck with the sale. Please keep us posted!

I would also suggest keeping a very good hi-res scan - for future reference!

Couple nit-picky points - bothering me!

1. Because of your original title - 'Saudi Arabia' - and the word 'arabic' in your eBay title:

Arabic is the language of the lettering printed on the stamp. The stamp - as we've now been informed - is an Izmir local revenue. Izmir is a coast town in Turkey. The stamp - to identify the country - should be considered 'Ottoman.' This stamp has no relation to Saudi Arabia. Saying 'Ottoman Arabic' would be similar to listing a Canadian revenue as 'Canada English'...

2. I have Emir Eray Suleymaniye's catalog. (It was the first source I checked when I saw your stamp.) The catalog is for Ottoman revenues - it does not include many 'local' revenues. (Think 'Canada' revenues vs 'Quebec' revenues.)

When you wrote 'The Emir...' I had to laugh. "Emir' is the guy's first name! He is not an 'Emir' - which is an official title given to rulers in the arab world. (Emir is a common Turkish name!) The guy is very much alive - to the best of my knowledge? The catalog is over 500 pages & was published in 2010...
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29882 Posts
Posted 01/03/2019   04:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
1. Because of your original title - 'Saudi Arabia' - and the word 'arabic' in your eBay title:

Michael, I am not sure if Steve can change the thread title now.
I know the post text cannot be altered after 24 hrs, not sure about the title.

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
2981 Posts
Posted 01/03/2019   04:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The stamp - to identify the country - should be considered 'Ottoman.' This stamp has no relation to Saudi Arabia. Saying 'Ottoman Arabic' would be similar to listing a Canadian revenue as 'Canada English'...

Agreed Michael.

The stamp is inscribed in Ottoman Turkish so I'd go further and compare the "Ottoman Arabic" reference to "Canadian Latin"!
Nigel
Pillar Of The Community
674 Posts
Posted 01/03/2019   05:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mdroth to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There's no need to change anything - it's all good...

Just wanted to clarify the wording. Seems - to me at least - that it is somewhat confused during various conversations. Arabic is a language - used in many countries. Saudi Arabia is only one of those countries. We wouldn't identify an Australian stamp as 'English' - right?

(Although now I'm tempted to start calling them 'Australia Aussie'?!?!!)
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 35 / Views: 1,761Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.94 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05